“Stay here, you will not be disappointed”
Review of The Star Inn

The Star Inn
Ranked #7 of 13 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Stay here, you will not be disappointed”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We arrived home yesterday after 2 nights here. It is a lovely place to stay. The rooms are lovely and clean and have everything you need for a short stay. The food is excellent, breakfast superb and staff brilliant. I would definitely stay here again, for value for money it is second to none.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linda P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We couldnt find any where near to park so had to leave our car a couple of streets away. We went into the busy pub and mentioned this to the bar man. Bless him, he said he would come to our car with us and show us where to park and then he could help with our luggage. We said it was ok and we would move our car later. We sat in the very busy bar next to a roaring log fire and had a couple of drinks. These were just put on our tab and all the staff were lovely. My husband went for the car and found a spot opp the hotel. We were glad we had prebooked our table for our meal as the place was full. After a freshen up in our very quaint room we went down for dinner. (The steps up to the rooms are very steep and very narrow so be careful) Our meal was delicious and we spent all evening at our table people watching. Once again the drinks and meal were put on our tab. Although we could hear the pub noise below (it was only 10.30pm) we slept really well and the bed was very comfy. We went down to breakfast and were once again greeted by very friendly staff. Breakfast was home cooked and tasty and just finished off a lovely stay. We paid our bill and we left feeling really relaxed and FULL.

Room Tip: There was only room 4 left when we booked which was classed as a small double, but it was lovely. It...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here recently with my partner on the way home from Heathrow. The Inn is situated on the Market square of the beautiful village of Woodstock.
Where to begin? The staff are fantastic nothing was too much trouble for them from the member of staff who meet us and carried our belongings up the narrow stairs to the bar and waitress staff who looked after our every need.
The room we had was no.2 which overlooks the market square. The room was tastefully decorated and comfortable. The bathroom contained plenty of quality toiletries ( much appreciated by my partner ! ). The bed was on the soft side but very comfortable.
One of the highlights of the stay was the food we ate . This is seriously good pub grub ! I recommend the venison pie but there are plenty of delights to tempt you. I suggest that you book a table as the place is very popular with locals and was buzzing with atmosphere on our visit.
I cannot recommend the Star to highly and we will be making a return trip.

Room Tip: Be aware that parking is difficult in Woodstock but you can get a space. Don't take any notice o...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel ticked all the boxes for what we needed.
We were going to a wedding and needed somewhere to stay, although the parking on a Saturday when we arrived due to market day was a nightmare, a member of staff came outside to help direct us to another place to park and then he spotted a space. He offered to carry our bags and allowed us to check in early as we needed to leave before check in time for the wedding.
The room was clean with crisp white bed linen and functional with a large shower. The floors slope a little, but this is to be expected of a building of this age and it just added to the quirkiness.
Breakfast was very nice and superb quality, I had smoked salmon, scrambled egg and toast...the toast was nice granary thickly sliced bread not thin pre-sliced plastic bread.
The staff were very friendly, we had to phone in advance to ask to check in early the person was very helpful and passed of the message that he said he would do, when we arrived we were made to feel welcome and helped with parking and booking in early, breakfast the waitress was very friendly and polite.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridge
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Both my wife and myself enjoyed a superb three course meal with drinks in a fabulous pub. The service was excellent and overall great value. Booking is essential as this is a popular with both tourists and locals.

• Stayed October 2013
Essex
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I write this from the big comfy bed after having a delicious breakfast downstairs..
I stayed here on my own as a single female because we're here for a wedding and my boyfriend stayed with the groom for best man duties. I wanted somewhere close to the church and not too busy so that I didn't feel like a minority and a little lonely lol.
I arrived late but the helpful staff took my bag up to my room straight away. The hotel and rooms are very up to date and beautiful. To my surprise It had tea faculties, iron/ironing board and even a hair dryer.
The walls are a little thin and can hear quite a lot of what goes on but that's because the building is so old. It wouldn't put me off..
The only thing I would warn people off is the stairs, they're not made for people with mobility issues. Again this is due to the age of the building.
Ignore the parking restrictions on the roads outside, although there is no car park to the hotel there is plenty of space around. The restrictions were lifted 3years ago but the signs are still in place.
I would definitely recommend the hotel if your staying in the area.

• Stayed November 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our second visit. Lovely bedroom overlooking the Bear. Warm welcome from the staff who attended to every need. This is a really lovely, unspoilt pub which makes a perfect base for exploring Oxfordshire, the Cotswolds and beyond. There is just so much to do - Blenheim Palace and park are a 5 minute walk. Refurbished within the last 4 years, the bedrooms are tastefully decorated, comfortable and have good bathrooms with quality toiletries. Despite being over the bar and facing on to the High Street, the pub shut at 11pm and silence reigned (save for the night when a car alarm went off!). The cooked breakfast is outstanding and was included in the price. We would not hesitate to go back. we had dinner each night and recommend that too. Hearty portions, excellent home made pies, two of us raved about the fish and chips as well as the home made burgers. this is serious but unpretentious pub grub.

Downside: there is no parking but we had no trouble parking on the street outside and there are no parking restrictions (despite the old signs which suggest otherwise). The stairs to the bedroom are steep and not for anyone with mobility issues.

Room Tip: I am told that Room 1 is the most popular - it, like Room 2, is on the front, overlooking the High S...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family