“blenheim palace jewel of oxford”
Review of Blenheim Palace

Blenheim Palace - Private Tour From London
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Woodstock
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Home to the 12th Duke and Duchess of Marlborough and birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill,, Blenheim Palace is a masterpiece of Baroque architecture that boasts over 300 years of history to discover. This World Heritage Site is set within more than 2000 acres of Parkland landscaped by 'Capability' Brown, and the Palace itself houses some of the finest collections of antique furniture in Europe.Situated in Woodstock, just 8 miles from Oxford, Blenheim Palace is Britain's Greatest Palace and offers visitors a precious time, every time.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

you will be plesantly surprised with blenheim palace. the downstairs tour is vgood but upstairs tour needs a bit of work. the gardens and scenery are fantastic. again another for all the family

Write a ReviewReviews (5,644)

Reviewed 29 August 2014

I live in Oxford and was keen to visit Blenheim Palace and what a good choice I made! I first went to Blenheim in August 2013, and enjoyed the Pleasure gardens, with the children's area and maze, as well as doing the Palace tour. Had a lovely and relaxing experience and was very glad to get my free annual pass so I was sure to use it again before it expired and went back almost a year later. This time I made sure to start with the Formal Gardens and what a treat! Everything about the landscape and atmosphere just relaxes you and even a full day is not enough to soak it all in! We went to the Rose garden and secret garden, which is absolutely stunning but also really enjoyed just lying on the grass, soaking up the sun and scenery. I honestly can't wait to go back as there are still more things to try (such as eating in the many restaurants). Would highly recommend a visit. If you have limited time I would say prioritise the Formal gardens, they really are a marvel.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We took a day tour to Blenheim by chance. London was impassable due to a bike race, and we couldn't get tickets to Highclere Castle. This is a Unesco world heritage site. It reminded me of Versailles or Schonbrunn (certainly not that big but you'll understand when you see it). We learned so much more about Winston Churchill. I didn't know that he had an illustrious ancestor, the first Duke of Marlborough, John Churchill, who helped save England 200 years before World War II. The castle is at least twice the size of Highclere Castle or Lyme Park. Fans of Downton Abbey, Pride and Prejudice, and World War II history will especially enjoy the visit. Well worth the 1-1/2 to 2 hour drive from London. The nearby town of Woodstock is a charming place for lunch.

1  Thank moviemom88
Reviewed 28 August 2014

The 4 stars are for the Churchill Exhibit and the Water Garden where we enjoyed our lunch. Both were a treat.

Also really enjoyed the history aspects in the horse barn.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We visited for the Festival of Transport on Bank Holiday Monday but unfortunately the weather was determined to ruin the day! We pre-booked our tickets for £18 online and you can choose to validate your one day ticket into an annual pass for no extra cost once you arrive. This was a big plus for us as we can return at our leisure to enjoy the gardens in better weather!

Everything was very well organised with very helpful staff and free parking. We had tea and cake in one of the cafés but we weren't too keen on the quality of the products and the high prices.

The Palace was beautiful but I was surprised how little access there was for the public compared to somewhere like Chatsworth. Still very enjoyable though.

Can't wait to return to enjoy the fab gardens but will take a picnic with us...