“Great service”

Macdonald Bear Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Check-in
This was a painless exercise and our bags were carried to our room.

Room
The rooms/hotel is old so expect the creaky floor boards. Our room was at the front on the hotel i.e. on the road and the only down side we the church clock chiming every hour!, so may be request a room to the rear of the hotel.

The food was of a good standard and the service was excellent. The price was as expected as you are in a hotel.

Location
Great location in the middle of a small village with a number of shops and pubs

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed our location and the food you experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Bear Hotel

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed here with a friend last weekend taking advantage of a Winter Warmer Break. The twin room was fantastic - couldn't have asked for better. However, the meal in the hotel restaurant was very poor. They were very busy, the staff were very stressed and not particularly attentive. We did feel sorry for them however because they had to deal with a particularly loud party that included a few extremely rude and threatening guests. It wasn't the hotel's fault at all but the party did ruin the atmosphere of the restaurant and ruined the evening for the rest of us to be honest. I'm glad I wasn't there for a romantic meal because it certainly wouldn't have been that! The food wasn't good I'm afraid - simple, not a lot of taste and poor quality which is, in my mind, a real let down for the hotel. Aside from the whole 'restaurant experience', the hotel overall was good and the staff were lovely, in particular the wonderful young guy that helped us park our cars and carried our bags up to our room - a real asset to the hotel! I would definitely stay again and hope to have a better experience in the restaurant next time. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Guest

I was pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay at the Macdonald Bear Hotel recently, especially your bedroom and the service you experienced from the team. I was however extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment with your evening meal and the service you experienced.

Please be assured that on receiving your feedback I have immediately instigated a programme of retraining with the team to ensure that we continue to deliver the high standards our guests deserve.

I appreciate receiving your constructive feedback and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel - indeed to contact me direct when you have a date in mind.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Wow have stayed here twice now on business, in two very different rooms, but I loved them! the four poster beds are legend... Breakfast is excellent and for the most part, most of the staff are extremely accomodating

Room Tip: Room Six has an excellent four poster ;)
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Sara D
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Would recommend as a break away. Very happy with our stay. Only complaint was at 10.15pm when we returned to the hotel bar from dinner & asked for a Hot chocolate I was informed he had turned the machine off so couldn't do this. Bar was still busy so it seemed a bit ridiculous for a hotel of this rating to refuse a staying guest a simple drink request like this.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Stimpyprice
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Bear following your stay with us. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us overall, however I was extremely concerned to learn of the service you experienced in the bar when you requested a hot chocolate. I would like to assure you that this is not in any way reflective of our usual standards and I will be using your constructive feedback to instigate a review within the catering team.

I appreciate your constructive feedback and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here on a Saturday night and had a great experience. A friendly welcome, checked in early, room good and nice view to quiet Woodstock outside. Breakfast very good, so much choice! The Star and other pubs are very close by, and Blenheim just 5 mins walk down the road.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a helpful review following your stay at the Macdonald Bear Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular the welcome you received, your room and breakfast experience.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I had a fantastic experience staying at the Macdonald bear hotel. We were in the area on a shopping trip and spent the day at the near by Bicester village which is very easy to find from the hotel. The bedroom was spacious and immaculately clean, the breakfast offering was extensive and very good and the staff very polite and friendly. In the evening we had drinks in the bar sat next to the big open fire.
This really is a lovely hotel with lots of character

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil W

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment and especially that the team were polite and friendly!

We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Spent New Years eve here with friends. The staff were very attentive without being over bearing, member of staff noticed a light bulb had gone in my bedroom when I arrived, and fix it within 5 min. Hotel was very clean,with some lovely homely touches, a box of chocolates and some eye gell, which is needed after dancing till 1. Breakfast perfectly cooked and plenty of it , as was the evening meal. I would go there again,great place to stay , super comfy bed.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Bear following your stay with friends for New Years Eve. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well!

It was a pleasure to hear of your experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel.

Paola Cassotti

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Feathers Hotel
De Vere Oxford Thames
Old Swan & Minster Mill
Old Swan & Minster Mill
#1 of 1 in Minster Lovell

Been to Macdonald Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!