“Very comfortable and full of character”

Macdonald Bear Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable and full of character”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend break mainly to visit the City of Oxford, the town of Woodstock where the hotel is situated is full of character itself and a stones throw from Blenheim Palace.
Our room was very well presented (although a little small for the cost) and the breakfast was great, we did not eat in the restaurant or bar so can not comment on the quality but both looked very welcoming, the staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful and we would visit again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your stay with us.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our location and your breakfast experience.

I appreciate your constructive feedback and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Paola Cassotti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

A very old and established hotel nestling in the delightful town of Woodstock the accommodation though old was very clean the food was good English country fare although we only had breakfast again the only thing to let this hotel down was the attitude of some of its staff.This is our second visit to the Bear on the first visit it was a very rude receptionist this time a bar person who looked and acted as she had the world on her shoulders! Strange for some one so young unsmiling and indifferent this type of work you need to act cheerful even though you might not feel like it we were going to have another drink in there but decided not to.

Room Tip: Maybe in the stable block if there still used as letting rooms
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Bear following your stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, however I was extremely concerned to learn of the service you received. I would like to assure you that the behaviour you experienced is not reflective of our usual standards and I will be personally be reviewing this matter with the bar team to ensure that your experience could not be repeated.

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Bear.

Kind regards

winteringham
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed at the Bear for a short weekend break and have to admit the building is full of character, check in was quick and efficient and the reception and room staff were very polite & friendly, we were shown to our room which was well presented, clean and tidy.
we had booked to eat in the restaurant on the Saturday evening and whilst the food was good the service was a little slow at times having to ask twice for dessert menu and then being kept waiting for our order to be taken.
With the building dating back so long the soundproofing in the rooms isn't great but we had what sounded like the continuous motor from the air conditioning kicking in every 10 or so minutes throughout the night which was annoying, on mentioning this the reception staff were very apologetic and arranged to look into it. It wouldn't put us off returning as everything else was good and it's location for Blenheim Palace is excellent although car parking is restricted.

1 Thank WinteringhamSteve
Dear Guest

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us overall, especially the service from the team, your room and our location.

I was sorry to learn of the shortfalls you experienced, and I appreciate your constructive feedback. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed here with my partner as part of a birthday treat. We had a feature suite and it was absolutely stunning. The room(s!) were all faultless and decorated beautifully. Breakfast was also delicious, I would definitely recommend and would love to re-visit.

Room Tip: Feature suites are magnificent
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the Bear following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay - particularly your suite and breakfast experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Not often you find a lovely hotel that accepts dogs, but this is one! Very well situated in the heart of the town. Full of character and the bedrooms are all very different. The staff are very pleasant and go out of their way to make your stay special. There is parking at the back of the hotel so no need to use street parking.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you and your dogs had an enjoyable stay and the team looked after you.

We look forward to welcoming you all back soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed at the Bear on Sat 16th Feb. I had initially booked the room via a discount web site and wasn't happy with the room I was given as was far too small. I asked the receptionist if there was a larger room available and was offered a featured suite for a very minor increase in price. The room I was upgraded to was amazing and one of the best in the hotel. It really made my stay very comfortable. I had an excellent dinner in the hotel restaurant and breakfast in my room which was also excellent. I will definitely be back soon as I had a wonderful weekend finished off by a walk around Blenheim Palace only 50 yards up the street to the entrance gate.

Room Tip: I would request The Blenhiem suite - an excellent room
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay at the weekend. I was really pleased to learn that the team arranged a more comfortable room for you and you enjoyed the food you experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

stayed here for a few nights and had a fab time. it was our anniversary and the staff went out of their way to help my partner organise a few surprises :)

we had lunch in the bar and I found the applewood baguette to be a new favourite. service was quick and food was good. a little pricy but what do you expect from a 4 star 2 rosette establishment.

dinner was also good however the menu left a little for the imagination not many options for a starter, the venison main course was perfect but not for people that dont like rare meat. all desserts came with ice cream which I cannot stand but the apple and almond tart was lovely otherwise. they also use jelly style pieces in their main course and dessert which was unusal. we found miguel to be a delight serving us every day we were their come breakfast and dinner.

we stayed in room 28 which is beautiful. a little drafty but we dont like the cold so could just be us being picky.

overall a lovely stay and staff really helpful. we also liked the little extra touches such as wine reccomendation for each course.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed account and was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall.

I appreciate your constructive feedback, which will be discussed with the team for training purposes, and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Paola Cassotti
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Feathers Hotel
De Vere Oxford Thames
Jurys Inn Oxford
Jurys Inn Oxford
#7 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Macdonald Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!