“Family lunch”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
“Family lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

It is not often that people exceed your expectations but the Bear Hotel managed this. I wanted to organize a family lunch for sixteen people, Once I contacted the hotel they made all the arrangements and even took our order prior to our visit. On the day the quality of food was excellent and the staff could not have been more helpful and efficient. If any one is thinking of a special meal I strongly recommend the Bear hotel in this beautiful Cotswold town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for submitting your review of our restaurant following your visit to the Macdonald Bear for your family lunch.

I am so glad you had an enjoyable experience and it is lovely to receive feedback of this nature.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Paola Cassotti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
Market Rasen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Fascinating old building with well equipped rooms and furnishings

Had problems with the heating in my room that the staff tried to fix

When they found the issue could not be sorted, they moved me to another room

Food very well looked and presented although service was slow at times. This would be fine if you were on a relaxing break but as I was working and had things to do, it could be frustrating at times

Will use again though

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your stay with us.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay overall, however may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the maintenance shortfalls you experienced and the disruption caused to you.

I would like to assure you that this is in no way reflective of our usual standards of service and please be assured that this matter has been addressed by our Maintenance Manager.

We appreciate your constructive feedback and I am glad that you will return to the hotel. Do contact me directly when you have a date in mind so that I may take care of the arrangements for you.

Kindest regards

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Hi - this is owned by a chain called Macdonald and it shows in lack of care. We were charged £3 for a credit card handling fee - apparently this is standard though I am not aware of any other hotel that does it. Also bed was very small for a £192 room. Think there are probably better choices in Woodstock - in fact I would avoid.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your stay with us.

It was with concern that I read your review and I was sorry to learn of your disappointment, particularly with the fee incurred when using your credit card. Owing to the costs charged to Macdonald Hotels by credit card companies, we as a company have felt that there has been no option but to implement this charge to all bookings paid by using a credit card. As a company we do not make any profit from the charge which is in keeping with the Industry standards imposed by airlines and tour operators.

I would appreciate the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the hotel and investigating into your concerns. Please can I ask you to contact me on gm.bear@macdonald-hotels.co.uk so that I may reassure you personally.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed here with my wife just for one evening after visiting Blenheim Palace for the day. The accommodation was nice and recently renovated. My wife and I had dinner and breakfast of which all was tasty, well presented and suitably priced, the waiting staff were all very happy to please and make you feel welcome. I would definitely return if i was ever in the area again.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay - we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend break mainly to visit the City of Oxford, the town of Woodstock where the hotel is situated is full of character itself and a stones throw from Blenheim Palace.
Our room was very well presented (although a little small for the cost) and the breakfast was great, we did not eat in the restaurant or bar so can not comment on the quality but both looked very welcoming, the staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful and we would visit again

Dear Guest

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our location and your breakfast experience.

I appreciate your constructive feedback and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

A very old and established hotel nestling in the delightful town of Woodstock the accommodation though old was very clean the food was good English country fare although we only had breakfast again the only thing to let this hotel down was the attitude of some of its staff.This is our second visit to the Bear on the first visit it was a very rude receptionist this time a bar person who looked and acted as she had the world on her shoulders! Strange for some one so young unsmiling and indifferent this type of work you need to act cheerful even though you might not feel like it we were going to have another drink in there but decided not to.

Room Tip: Maybe in the stable block if there still used as letting rooms
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Bear following your stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, however I was extremely concerned to learn of the service you received. I would like to assure you that the behaviour you experienced is not reflective of our usual standards and I will be personally be reviewing this matter with the bar team to ensure that your experience could not be repeated.

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Bear.

Kind regards

winteringham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed at the Bear for a short weekend break and have to admit the building is full of character, check in was quick and efficient and the reception and room staff were very polite & friendly, we were shown to our room which was well presented, clean and tidy.
we had booked to eat in the restaurant on the Saturday evening and whilst the food was good the service was a little slow at times having to ask twice for dessert menu and then being kept waiting for our order to be taken.
With the building dating back so long the soundproofing in the rooms isn't great but we had what sounded like the continuous motor from the air conditioning kicking in every 10 or so minutes throughout the night which was annoying, on mentioning this the reception staff were very apologetic and arranged to look into it. It wouldn't put us off returning as everything else was good and it's location for Blenheim Palace is excellent although car parking is restricted.

1 Thank WinteringhamSteve
Dear Guest

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us overall, especially the service from the team, your room and our location.

I was sorry to learn of the shortfalls you experienced, and I appreciate your constructive feedback. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Paola Cassotti
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Feathers Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,179 reviews
De Vere Oxford Thames
Malmaison Oxford Castle

Been to Macdonald Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!