“Comfortable, lovely location, restaurant a bit overplayed”

Macdonald Bear Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, lovely location, restaurant a bit overplayed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Woodstock is a pleasant village next to Blenhiem Palace - the Bear's location is idyllic. The hotel is on old rambling inn that does have charm, but some might find it a bit too twee. The room was very well appointed with a new bathroom and was clean - although was not particularly luxurious feeling. Wifi is free and of excellent quality. The restaurant is regarded as a key feature - but the food is over presented and does not live up to the expectation being created. Fortunately Woodstock has an abundance of places to east and so if the restaurant is not to you liking it is not a show stopper. Not a particularly cheap hotel, but given its historic qualities and location - the price is to be expected. Staff very welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kahjm
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your stay with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us - particularly our location, the service from the team and the overall comfort of your room.

I was sorry to note that you were disappointed with our pricing and your restaurant experience. Please be assured that we review our pricing regularly to ensure that our pricing remains competitive and fair, and I am sorry that you felt this was not the case. I will of course be reviewing your feedback with our Head Chef to avoid any future disappointment.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Kindest regards

Paola Cassotti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Family occasion to celebrate a special birthday milestone for my Father-in-Law, for Saturday lunch. In arranging this event, all staff I spoke to were most courteous, keen to please, and delivered what they said they would. The meal was of a high quality, and we were waited on by the most attentive staff. Nothing was too much trouble. 'Thank you' to you all, for making this a most memorable occasion for us, and particularly for my Father-in-Law!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thanks so much for submitting your review of our restaurant following your visits to the Macdonald Bear for Saturday lunch.

I am so glad you all enjoyed the meal for your father in law! It is lovely to receive feedback of this nature and the team are always encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel over the weekend, for a friend’s wedding. The room I stayed in going rate was £140 a night. However I cannot say what we received was worth that. The room itself was okay, but whoever cleaned it last clearly did a rushed job. There where cobwebs in almost every corner, and you simply could not have a shower without having a bath as well, within minutes of shower the water had already raised past my ankles. Afterwards I believe it took 40 mins for the bath to drain.

The room also had a ant infestation that again had not been noticed by hotel staff, was horrible to constantly find an ant crawling on your arm or over your things.

The lighting in the rooms was extremely dark, in the evening time it felt as though the room was being lit via candle light, that was with all lamps and light fittings turned on.

The breakfast we had in the hotel’s restaurant in the morning was also disappointing; the full cook breakfast was tiny and lacking of any food. I don’t understand why expensive places always serve the smallest portion sizes!!

We did inform the hotel staff about the poor room but all they had to say was thank you for letting them know.

Overall I have stayed in much better hotels for a lot cheaper price. Disappointed and will not be returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Abbie H
Dear Guest

I was extremely disappointed to receive your review following your stay with us for your friends wedding.

As I mentioned in our direct correspondence, I was shocked by the points you raised. We are very proud of the standards of cleanliness in our rooms and a remedial training programme is underway to ensure similar lapses in our usual high standards would not reoccur.

I do hope that my email sent on 16th May has addressed your concerns, however please do contact me again should you wish to discuss any aspect further.

New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Very well situated for Blenheim, this charming hotel is just a short walk from Blenheim Palace. Large, two-storey room could accommodate my family of five very comfortably and the staff were extremely understanding of our last minute change-of-plans.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay - especially our location and our family room.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Bracknell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

If you have not visited this hotel yet, then you are missing out on something very special. I am happy to say our experience was fantastic. Accommodation beautiful, the staff accommodating, knowledgeable about hotel and local area as well as being very attentive. The hotel was a pleasant surprise and I look forward to returning back to the hotel again.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Bear Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular your accommodation and the service from the team. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Norwich Norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Well situated for Oxford, Blenheim, the Cotswolds and the Wychwood Brewery the Bear is not cheap, but gives good value for money. Our room vas quiet and well equiped Dinner, breakfast and the very helpful staff couldn't be bettered.

1 Thank ayiosphilon
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay - we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Gosport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Lovely historic hotel in the centre of the town. Spacious and well equipped bedroom. First class dinner and breakfast. Welcoming and attentive staff. A little expensive but worth it.What more could you ask for? Peter 1.5.2014

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed our location and your bedroom.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Paola Cassotti
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Feathers Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,174 reviews
De Vere Oxford Thames
Malmaison Oxford Castle

Been to Macdonald Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!