“Nice Break”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
UK
“Nice Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel is full of olde worldy charm. The location could not be better for visiting Blenheim Palace and getting into Oxford is easy too. Room was a good size but pillows were not of the highest standard and we were disappointed that there was not a choice of pillows either.
Breakfast was good and service was fine. However when we decided to have lunch in the bar one day when the weather was wet we found the cost of sandwiches and drinks rather expensive (£4.50 for a small pot of tea); the waitress got our order all wrong and even forgot to bring part of it.
Still all in all a good hotel for a short stay.

1 Thank CliveandJudith
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your stay with us.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay overall, however was sorry to learn of the shortfalls you experienced. I would like to assure you that your comments have been the subject of a team management review, to ensure that any similar lapses couldn't be repeated.

We review our pricing regularly to ensure that we offer fair and competitive rates in relation to our offering and hotels of a similar standard and location, and I am sorry that you felt this was not the case. I will continue to monitor this closely.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Bear. Indeed, please contact me directly should you have a date in mind, and I will be delighted to take care of the arrangements for you personally.

Paola Cassotti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, was greeted by a man in tails (why?) who was slightly too pompous for his own good!
We were shown to the room (35 Glover) which was very very nice, high beams, large bed, mixes old with contemporary and very smart. Excellent standard of cleanliness. Slept very well. My only gripes with the room would be: no bath mat to step out onto, nowhere to hang towel close to bath and shower and there was a dirty glass by our water.

Mostly positive so far, but breakfast really let this place down. At £17.95 each you would expect something special but it was distinctly underwhelming and the atmosphere was terrible. They have a huge room with 3 areas to serve breakfast, however the staff decided to stick all 6 tables together in one small area (presumably because it's easier for them to clear up) but it made for an uncomfortable whispered breakfast with 6 couples basically sitting on top of each other!
Breakfast was average in quality and quantity, oh and I don't need to be served sauce!!!!! I can do that myself, never had that! Again an unnecessary pompous act!!

I'd stay here again because of location and room was lovely, but I'd definately be eating elsewhere

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank MossyCardiff
Dear Guest

It was with great concern that I read your review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your recent stay and I was extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment.

I would like to assure you that your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual high standards and I would like to assure you that your comments have been the subject of a team management review, to ensure that any similar service lapses couldn't be repeated.

I would appreciate the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the hotel. Please can I ask you to contact me on gm.bear@macdonald-hotels.co.uk so that I may reassure you personally.

Best wishes

Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at the Bear for one night as we had a wedding at Blenheim Palace. My husband and I stayed in Room 47, a suite which was very comfortable and tastefully decorated. The hotel went the extra mile organising a late check-out, an appointment at a local hairdressers and taxis for us.

We had a drinks and club sandwiches in the bar before we left for the wedding; the service and quality of the food couldn't be criticised.

The bride and groom had requested 'carriages at 4am' so a load of us piled into the Bear in the wee hours. The staff on duty were fantastic; even arranging nightcaps.

We left the following day but not before having another club sandwich! I wouldn't hesitate to rebook / recommend the Bear.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for submitting your review of your experience following your stay at the Macdonald Bear Hotel.

I enjoyed reading your review and appreciate the helpful details you provided. It is lovely to receive feedback of this nature and the team are always encouraged by it.

We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Nayook, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Woodstock is a quiet and picturesque village, sharing its pretty piece of Oxfordshire with Vanbrugh's colossus Blenheim Palace, but we chose to stay here as a convenient base to visit Oxford. A regular bus service operates into the centre of the city, adjacent to the wonderful Ashmolean Museum. Our choice of the Macdonald Bear Hotel was made after reading a a good number of on-line reviews, which on average, gave the hotel a good rap. We were not disappointed. The hotel has retained a lot of the character of an old coaching inn, but without sacrificing comfort and modern facilities in doing so. The staff were very friendly and helpful and we particularly enjoyed our daily chat with the lovely Belgian girl who was maître d' of the hotel's excellent restaurant, which served beautifully prepared and presented modern takes on some old favourites. Be prepared for stairs in the main building as it has no lift being a listed building, but as far as we were concerned, there were no complaints after a very pleasant 4 night stay.

2 Thank GARDENJAUNT
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your four night stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Warm regards

Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

My company booked my business trip here and I was more than pleasantly surprised! I stayed for one week and fell in love with this historical hotel and the history of Woodstock! There was a small (and free!) but very informative Oxfordshire museum located just across the street from The Bear. Another great place was the Blenheim Palace which is only a 5 min walk from the hotel.... Beautiful, simply a beautiful palace and grounds. If you buy a one day pass, you can turn it into an annual pass and you get an ID with your pic on it.. very nice touch. I was planning on jumping on a short bus ride to Oxford but found myself staying in Woodstock to enjoy the quaint countryside for the weekend. I would recommend this place in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel. I really enjoyed reading your review and that you especially enjoyed the sights of Woodstock so much!

We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed only one night in June, the weather was very hot.
The room was oldy world just as we wanted, beams everywhere. Could have done with air con but that's not possible in such an old building I suppose although there was a fan in the room.
We slept on the very top floor and had the window open all night and there was no noise outside so a good nights sleep was had.
The restaurant served really nice food, large portions as well, we eat on the first floor as the restaurant I think was having a group with buffet. The upstairs room was quite warm and we were glad to have finished to get fresh air. Nevertheless the overall was very nice.
Very convenient for Blenheim palace and a pretty hotel.
Good staff and a superb breakfast this time in the restaurant.
Would I stay again...Yes of course

Room Tip: We had the room at the front of the Hotel and there was no noise, so I can assume that most rooms wo...
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you had a good nights sleep and enjoyed the meals you experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards

Redditch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Wow a wonderful hotel in a great setting. First appearances did not disappoint and the interior was just as impressive having a feel of old worldy but with modern touches and facilities and staff who were always cheerful and helpful. The rooms are all individually refined and the bathroom in room 30 was nearly as big as the bedroom, fantastic. The in room facilities were everything we needed and more. Big thank you to the staff who made our short stay a very memorable one. A must stay hotel and perfect for visiting Blenheim Palace and the Cotswolds. :)

Room Tip: they are all unique but room 30 was fab
1 Thank liverpoolfc1
Dear Guest

Thank you for submitting a review of your experience following your stay at the Macdonald Bear Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Paola Cassotti
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Feathers Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,179 reviews
De Vere Oxford Thames
Malmaison Oxford Castle

Been to Macdonald Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!