“Another great hotel”

Macdonald Bear Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Reviewed 17 July 2014

A wonderful hotel offering first class accommodation, excellent food and service. The staff helpful, cheerful and always willing to help. An excellent place for a luxury break. There is easy access to Blenheim Palace and gardens.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed your room and the food you experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Bear Hotel

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed for 2 nights at this special hotel in June 2014. The check in staff was friendly and very helpful. The room was spacious and clean. The breakfast was exceptional as was the staff attending to my table. I did not eat dinner here during my stay.

The building was at one time an old coaching inn. The ambiance is charming.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barbara L
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you well and you enjoyed your room and breakfast experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We cannot comment on the standard of the Hotel as due to unforseen circumstances we had to rearrange all arrangements, we should have been going to the Silverstone for the F1. Our complaint is that the Hotel although altered the dates the charges went through the roof all sorts of excuses were given, but it was very bad handling and would in no way encourage us to use one of these hotels again. We travel exstensively and never use below a 4star hotel, but equally we have never experience this unhelpfull and costly alteration.We would like otherpeople to be aware of this.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gwendoline B

Dear Guest

I was extremely sorry to receive your review.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the options given to you by the team. As you booked our advance purchase non refundable or transferable rate, unfortunately we were unable to cancel your stay completely. However, our reservations team did allow you to amend your booking and refunded two nights for you.

I am sorry that we were unable to accommodate your requirements, which resulted in you cancelling the booking and if you wish to discuss your concerns in more details, do contact me on gm.bear@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Kind regards

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I had booked tickets for an event at Blenheim Palace for my husband and our 6 year old son. Rather than drive home we decided to stay the night in Woodstock. I called the hotel and went through to central reservations who were extremely helpful. I explained that we would need a room big enough for 2 adults (one of whom is 6ft 5) and a child. Luckily we were booking a long time in advance and were delighted to find when we arrived that we'd been allocated room 17. We arrived quite early to check in but the room was ready almost immediately which was really helpful. The head concierge arrived to welcome us as we were getting out of the car and dealt with the bags straight away. He was extremely welcoming and engaged with our little boy immediately. The room had a 4 poster (usually this isn't great as my husband's feet over hang the bed, but not this one!). At the foot of the 4 poster was a sofa bed. Which was made up for our son. The room still felt spacious. The good sized bathroom had a separate shower and bath (ask for this specifically of it's important to you) and was spotlessly clean. Housekeeping provided a little duck shaped bath foam which was a nice touch.
Breakfast was good. A selection of cheese, ham and cereals with a cooked breakfast available also. I asked what decaff coffee they used as it was very good and was presented with a bag before we left the dining room. We really enjoyed our stay and are looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Anamaria_Anton

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive review following your stay at the Macdonald Bear Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular the service from the team, your room and breakfast experience. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Best wishes

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. Had a nice welcome and were shown to our room which was small but very comfortable. We had a lovely dinner in the quaint dining room. The only thing was that it was quite dark in there so difficult to read the menu. Breakfast the next day was also very good. Our staying included a trip to Blenheim Palace which was very near and is a spectacular place to visit. All in all a very good weekend. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Try to go for the one above the cheapest one.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jill T

Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us overall and appreciate your helpful feedback.

We very much hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel is full of olde worldy charm. The location could not be better for visiting Blenheim Palace and getting into Oxford is easy too. Room was a good size but pillows were not of the highest standard and we were disappointed that there was not a choice of pillows either.
Breakfast was good and service was fine. However when we decided to have lunch in the bar one day when the weather was wet we found the cost of sandwiches and drinks rather expensive (£4.50 for a small pot of tea); the waitress got our order all wrong and even forgot to bring part of it.
Still all in all a good hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CliveandJudith
General_Manager_Bear, General Manager at Macdonald Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your stay with us.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay overall, however was sorry to learn of the shortfalls you experienced. I would like to assure you that your comments have been the subject of a team management review, to ensure that any similar lapses couldn't be repeated.

We review our pricing regularly to ensure that we offer fair and competitive rates in relation to our offering and hotels of a similar standard and location, and I am sorry that you felt this was not the case. I will continue to monitor this closely.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Bear. Indeed, please contact me directly should you have a date in mind, and I will be delighted to take care of the arrangements for you personally.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, was greeted by a man in tails (why?) who was slightly too pompous for his own good!
We were shown to the room (35 Glover) which was very very nice, high beams, large bed, mixes old with contemporary and very smart. Excellent standard of cleanliness. Slept very well. My only gripes with the room would be: no bath mat to step out onto, nowhere to hang towel close to bath and shower and there was a dirty glass by our water.

Mostly positive so far, but breakfast really let this place down. At £17.95 each you would expect something special but it was distinctly underwhelming and the atmosphere was terrible. They have a huge room with 3 areas to serve breakfast, however the staff decided to stick all 6 tables together in one small area (presumably because it's easier for them to clear up) but it made for an uncomfortable whispered breakfast with 6 couples basically sitting on top of each other!
Breakfast was average in quality and quantity, oh and I don't need to be served sauce!!!!! I can do that myself, never had that! Again an unnecessary pompous act!!

I'd stay here again because of location and room was lovely, but I'd definately be eating elsewhere

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank MossyCardiff

Dear Guest

It was with great concern that I read your review of the Macdonald Bear Hotel following your recent stay and I was extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment.

I would like to assure you that your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual high standards and I would like to assure you that your comments have been the subject of a team management review, to ensure that any similar service lapses couldn't be repeated.

I would appreciate the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the hotel. Please can I ask you to contact me on gm.bear@macdonald-hotels.co.uk so that I may reassure you personally.

Best wishes

Paola Cassotti

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Feathers Hotel
De Vere Oxford Thames
Old Swan & Minster Mill
Old Swan & Minster Mill
#1 of 1 in Minster Lovell

Been to Macdonald Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!