“Ideal if you are looking for a quiet stay!!!”
Review of Feathers Hotel

Feathers Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Poole
“Ideal if you are looking for a quiet stay!!!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We booked our stay at The Feathers in Woodstock via Secret Escapes and were looking for somewhere to cover Bicester Shopping Village and Blenheim Palace. Location wise this was perfect, Bicester was a 20 minute drive away and Market Street leads into the back entrance for Blenheim. The hotel itself was quaint and small and very very quiet and the room itself was nice (although no air conditioning), which we didn't realise at time of booking as we assumed all hotels have this now. The staff were welcoming and friendly and all in all it was lovely however, if like us, you are looking for a rest but some kind of entertainment in the area this is not the place for you, as we found. This hotel has a Gin Bar with over 160 different types of gin but be warned you will be talked into having some and next thing you know £20 for 2 drinks!!! This put us off drinking in the hotel again and wine by the glass with dinner was £7 each so we opted for spending the evenings next door in the Woodstock Arms. We had included in our package a 5 course taster menu each evening (food the same both nights) but in the end we opted out and you are given a £45 allowance per person towards the A La Carte menu - we would highly recommend doing this as we came under budget and the food was superb, especially the Scallops - WOW!!! My husband also arranged flowers in our room on arrival as it was my birthday but I overlooked them as it was such a small arrangement and thought this was just something the hotel does - he had actually been charged £30 for them. He also arranged for something to happen on having my dessert in the evening but this didn't happen at all so I know he was disappointed. Would we stay again - no, we prefer some noise but it is ideal for Blenheim and surrounding areas.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Feathers day 1

Booked this 2 night stay thru amazon local, nice drive down when you come off the M40 thru some beautiful villages. Woodstock isn't typical because the awe-inspiring Blenheim Palace is on the doorstep . The Receptionist at the Feathers hotel showed us to our tidy shabysheek room directly next door( street level 2 up 2 down terraced property ground floor bedroom en suite with a small flat screen tv.& boutique bath,
When the room curtains are closed the room becomes small because you cut out the bay window looking out onto the busy street. I suspect if we wasn't on an Amazon deal we may have acquired a bigger room in the main block? But it's nice.
You have to dial reception for a cup of tea which came promptly enough ! Problem was the camomile tea served loose wouldn't pour out of the pot so had to tip it out into the cup which then made it Luke warm and akin to floating pea soup,ditto with the loose earl grey which my wife chose, ( see photo) . Feel that if I have to pay £10.50 for a gin and tonic at the bar then double standards apply.The tasting menus are long and a little embarrassing for a working class lad like myself but may be ideal for those of you from a higher station. Each portion was served exquisitely and indeed tasted very good . Up to the last course I contemplated calling at the local chippy but the chef got it just right. We don't drink wine so no commission for the waitress ! after dinner we retired with an electric kettle supplied from reception and some fore armed tetley tea bags to our room. Wi fi still unavailable on my tablet.
Day 2.
Breakfast delicious and served hot. A tea strainer meant we had a lovely cuppa Managed to get wi fi at the bar! Apparently the bar is quite famous for its cocktails.
Spent the day at Blenheim palace which is a 20 mts walk from the hotel and well worth the trip down, will not drink in the hotel this evening purely because the spirits are very expensive and I have not got money to burn. I'm a whiskey drinker so brought my own together with gin for my wife though not nice at room temperature, though it will give me a bit of courage to pay for the very expensive drinks out this evening at the other cartels dotted up and down the high street. Hope I've brought enough cash.! Oh Spouse just walked in with ice from our kind barman ( bliss!!

Evening 2nd day
Went to plan B for dinner but couldn't get a table, many eating there so assumed it was the place to eat! However on our way to the local Chinese establishment (recommended by the young barman at plan B ) I asked a chap walking his dog for advice, he put me on to the kings head , just off the Beaton track which proved to be just what we were looking for, the food was most agreeable and hot, good atmosphere with a quirky Italian host( bellowing happy birthday in baritone to a table of 6 senior women.) say no more!, all in all a good 2day break en rout to Oxford .
At Check out I was presented with a bill for £11 to which I asked reception what this was for as I knew we had not had any extras, the reply was "this is a service charge and is discretionary and you do not have to pay "I then said ok I do not wish to pay.
This put a bit of a dampener on our stay.

Room Tip: Avoid a room on the street if you like it quiet
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maciemae
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here during previous game fairs but now stupidly expensive during this time and only available on a minimum night stay D, B&B basis. Expensive especially when considering the standard of rooms.
However, it's still a nice place to have lunch or dinner in the garden after a long day at the Game Fair although you will be paying premium prices.
Quality of food is good and in reasonable proportions. Good wine list but again very pricey.
They have a fantastic Gin bar which claims to have over 230 different gins. Good fun to try a few but only if you are happy with a £150 bill which we ended up with (including tonic @ £5?) for 4 people and not a huge amount of Gin.
Lot

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night with our Dalmatian 'Bob'. The hotel was great-lovely room and very relaxed atmosphere. What makes it better is the staff-helpful and friendly making the stay feel like a home from home.
The food was fantastic-breakfast and dinner.
The guys on the gin bar knew everything there was to know about Gin, and I left being able to dazzle my friends with good gin facts!
Bob was fussed over, his tail didn't stop wagging the entire time.
Would I go again-absolutely. Would I recommend to friends-without a second thought.

Stayed August 2014
Berkshire
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed Tuesday 29th July, 1 night with my husband. Lovely village and so pretty. Great hotel, lovely room. Check in was first class. Wonderful staff. Had 2 little issues with room. A couple of areas were not up to my cleaning standards. But really can not fault the room. Very comfortable and a goods night sleep. We ate in the resturant in the evening, they have a Tuesday offer for £7.95. Great fish and chips, lovely and a really good size. Wine on offer on the Tuesday special menu £13.95. Pudding was lush but would have liked a bigger size. The service was slow in the evening, 30 minutes in I had to ask to place a drinks order. Then I had to get up and find a member of staff to take food order. I can not fault staff. Really went out of their way so the wait and slow service was forgot about. Ordered tea and fresh coffee in the morning to the room, arrived within a few minutes. Breakfast was amazing. The best breakfast my husband and I have ever had at a hotel. Amazing quality products. The waitress was lovely a real gem. Wavy dark haired, spanish looking maybe? Lovely lady and a real pleasure. Would stay again just to experience the breakfast again. Check out was quick, friendly and efficient. Great gem of a hotel. Would stay again and definitely recommend.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BerkshireDolly
Bicester
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We recently stayed the night at Feathers which included dinner and breakfast.
We arrived and showed to our room which didn't have a bath, I requested a change and were happy to oblige no problem. The rooms are nicely done with great little touches like complimentary jelly beans and both still and sparkling water.
The restaurant is fantastic, service impeccable with food to match. I know nothing about wine and they were happy to help with the chose. They also have the biggest range of gins I have ever seen if you like it.
The only down side is there is no parking which can be tricky at times in Woodstock, we were lucky!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Upper Heyford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were surprised with dinner, overnight stay and breakfast to celebrate our wedding anniversary by my in-laws. They chose The Feathers as they enjoyed a Christmas stay.

The staff at hotel were great and very helpful. A request to change room to one with a bath rather than our original room only equipped with wet room type shower was facilitated without fuss and very quickly, and the supplied fan on a hot weekend was very welcome!

Dinner was really nice. The staff were knowledgeable regarding aspects of the apparently new menu and the chef produced some really good dishes of complimentary tastes and textures.

The next day we had a hearty cooked breakfast and lovely coffee. The service was perhaps a little slow but who wants to rush on a Sunday?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Macdonald Bear Hotel
Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Jurys Inn Oxford
Jurys Inn Oxford
#7 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Feathers Hotel? Share your experiences!