“Charming!”
Review of Marlborough Arms

Marlborough Arms
Ranked #3 of 13 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We found this place to be quite a surprise. The exterior of the building was not at all out of the ordinary for the area but the rooms were a total delight. Each room was tastefully decorated with its own character. All the furnishings and linens were new and top quality. The owners were approachable and helpful. The breakfast was far more than we would ever need and the setting was superb.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Susan J

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions, with family & on my own. Woodstock is an amazing place in it's own right & this hotel is obviously perfect for visiting Blenheim Palace. There is good parking, the bedrooms are nicely decorated, the breakfast room is pleasant & breakfast is always good. Security is good & the hotel has a very homely feel. If you go out for the evening, order a drink for your room for when you get back.
I'd always book this hotel if there are 'offers' on or if I wanted to go to Blenheim.
There are some good restaurants in Woodstock to eat; The Feathers (which also has the largest collection of different gins in the world I believe) this is expensive but good. The King's Arms - reasonably priced & tasty fare. Jaan, a great Indian restaurant & The King's Head - lovely meals. The Chef Imperial - a great Chinese - take away & restaurant.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Tiffany5431
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have visited Oxford several times this year and I'm delighted to have discovered the Marlborough Arms in Woodstock ( about 15 minutes from the city ) where I've enjoyed the warm welcome of Sally and Alistair, owners and hosts , who have taken great pride in ensuring every detail within this traditional Coaching Inn has been attended to.

Having looked at some of the reviews I strongly recommend you take note of the most recent which reflect how the Marlborough Arms performs today following extensive refurbishment . Anything relating to visits years ago is, I suggest, less relevant.

So, as a regular business and social traveller throughout the UK I reckon I'm sufficiently qualified to review the Marlborough Arms and here's what I have found;

As you enter - tasteful and charming decor with a smile to greet you and lots of essential local knowledge and advice from the team to help you discover Blenheim Palace, the surrounds and the various local hostelries to relax in the evening.

Bedrooms - They're a generous size, I've stayed in several and each has been faultless. The beds are big, the quilts are fresh and warm and the pillows are just perfect. I've never struggled to get off to sleep . . . Oh and there's a flat screen tv in each as well.

Bathrooms /Shower rooms - they vary from room to room . . . from a generous step in shower to a wonderful ball and claw bath - all are immaculately clean. Towels freshly laundered and everything you would need to make your stay relaxing.

Breakfast - A traditional breakfast is served with a 'help yourself' service for cereals, fruit juices, fresh fruit etc.in bright and airy surroundings with happy and friendly staff. It's usually too much for me . . .

Overall the Marlborough Arms scores highly with me, it's traditional, historical and I can relax there. It's an all-round jolly nice place to stay. So whether you are visiting Oxford ( it's only 15 mins away and great to escape the city for the night ) or visiting Woodstock . . . you simply must stay here.

Room Tip: All rooms are well appointed, generous and comfortable. If you're pushing the boat out go for ro...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank drew401
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Following a mix-up in bookings in another hotel in Woodstock, Alistair (owner) kindly offered a room at the Marlborough Arms.

The Marlborough Arms is a good central place to stay in Woodstock, nicely furnished and very hospitable

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed for one night attending a wedding at Blenheim Palace having booked the Feathers and being let down on a burst pipe (The Feather did give us a hamper to apologise to be fair).

We were actually very lucky as the room was very clean and spacious and the bed extremely comfortable. The photos on here do not do it justice as they are actually newly done up and modern not dated as I thought the photos may have looked.

Breakfast was plentiful and fresh and despite overlooking the main road the double glazing meant it was very quiet.

Best of all our hosts were extremely welcoming, and were dignified in not criticising their competition for letting us down.

We would 100% recommend to our friends- thanks very much!

Room Tip: Room 3 was lovely
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here whilst exhibiting at the Blenheim Flower Show. Our hosts were fantastic and couldn't have been more helpful from advising us of great places for dinner to helping store a most annoying trolly!
Please ignore any previous negativity, I assure you it's unjustified.
Thank you for a lovely stay, keep up the good work :)

Mossart

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary with a visit to Blenheim and chose to stay at the Marlborough after checking various other establishment reviews through Trip Advisor as we always do. We could not fault room 10 which was a loft room ( well more like a suite) with it's own bathroom and corridor. It was up a few flights of steepish stairs but well worth it. The bathroom was equally large with a rolled top bath and separate shower which was a lovely bonus. The rooms were spotless and the tea/coffee items in the room were generous. We paid £125 and thought overall it was worth it given the space we had and that it was our anniversary. We had a sound nights sleep and the bed which I think was super king size was firm but comfortable. Check in and out was quick with the proprietor Sarah. You park your car to the rear of the property in a private gravelled courtyard which was nice when we eventually found it as it wasn't obvious and hadn't been pointed out to us prior, you have to pull off the high street and it's right round the back, although there is a nice entrance into the place through a lovely courtyard.
Breakfast was very good but we felt that there was little engagement from Sarah unfortunately. The gentleman who accompanied her was very nice, very polite but again not really too engaging. Although this place is an old coach house and there were ample areas to sit there is no bar as such and whilst it's pointed out that they are happy to serve you a drink ( bottled etc I assume from the fridge) positioned behind the reception they do not offer the facility beyond 'early evening'. My wife and I having been around Blenheim all day didn't fancy going out to one of the local pubs but would have fancied sitting downstairs with a drink or two to relax. I came downstairs at about 8.45 on the evening to ask for some more milk cartons and all downstairs was in the dark. There was a note on reception to ring a mobile if we needed anything but I declined. The following morning after we checked out at about 10.00 having ate breakfast at 9, we asked if we could leave the car to the rear while we checked out the village ( which incidentally is charming but quite small and doesn't have many shops of any interest) Sarah in fairness was ok with us leaving the car but said that they would be going out so the front door may be locked and we'd have to go round the back. As I said the village is small so we were back at about 10.35 and the doors were already shut ! Whilst we couldn't fault the room or the contact at check in and out, the proprietors in our opinion could be more interested in their guests and could sell the establishment better. We initially arrived at 12 knowing that we couldn't book in until 3 and we left the car in the car park and walked the 10 mins or so into Blenheim but we noticed that the Marlborough was all locked up and this seemed a little odd to us as well as the 'close down' during the evening and the relatively early lock up again the following morning by 10.35. Unfortunately I can't say that we would be returning for these very reasons. More hospitality would have gone down better. I'm only being honest and comparing our experiences of other B&B's and hotel we've stayed in whee we've left feeling we've got to known the proprietors a little, we didn't feel that at the Marlborough I'm sad to say. I'd imagine from the reviews that any room here would be nice and breakfast is faultless so if that's all you want I think you'd be happy with your stay here but I guess we wanted a little more. Such a waste of the downstairs area especially for just I night stays, maybe you get to use it more if you're stopping for a few days...

Room Tip: Room 10 for that special time away, rolled top bath was brilliant, it was like our own private littl...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BUCHANANA
MarlboroughArms, Owner at Marlborough Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Oh dear I am sorry we didnt live up to your expectations as a Bed and Breakfast as you sent so many emails prior to your arrival organising your one night’s stay. Again the clue is in "Bed and Breakfast" and we are happy to serve drinks prior to your going out or returning back. We live on site so there is a telephone on the reception desk for guests to use if they want anything which prevents us from hanging around all day/night on the off-chance that you need anything - we can be back with 1 minute. We were happy for you to leave your car in our car park (to avoid to difficulty in parking in Woodstock) the next morning, but as you had already checked out when you returned to collect your car, I feel that your criticism that you were unable to walk through the hotel to our private car park is a little unjustified as we had done you a favour. Also you said there was little or no interaction with us but you failed to mention that when we discovered you were planning to go to Bicester Village (during one of our several conversations with you) we gave you a much coverted Bicester Village VIP discount card! I think that probably a Bed and Breakfast hotel was not what you wanted – perhaps a hotel offering full bar facilities or a smaller Bed and Breakfast.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Macdonald Bear Hotel
#1 of 13 in Woodstock
The Glove House
The Glove House
#2 of 13 in Woodstock

Been to Marlborough Arms? Share your experiences!