Duke of Marlborough
Bell Hotel(Charlbury)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubgluten freemain roadblenheim palacefolk nightseparate buildingwood burnerthe owner managerpreservesbus stopnice sizevaried menueasy parkingvisiting the areaopen firefluffy towelsafternoon tea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst on a trip to Oxford and Blenheim Palace. Hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. There was a decent selection of beers and the food was above average pub grub, particularly enjoyed the freshly cooked full English breakfast. Having read some other reviews I was weary of room 103 - unfortunately that where we ended up. I think a mattress topper has been put on top of the mattress but it was not that comfortable and the springs did make a noise depending on which part of bed you were on. The location of the pub is really good , close to Blenheim and we used the local bus to go into Woodstock for a meal on the Saturday evening, the bus stops being (literally) right outside the pub. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank counterlink
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Only booked into this hotel because our first option in Oxford was not available. Despite being on the main A road the rooms were very quiet.The bed was a bit soft and the springs made noises at the wrong time. We booked for dinner at the pub and were presently surprised by the menu. The staff were very helpful and the owner, a very dry sense of humour, runs a good business. Had a problem in that wifi did not work in room but just had to sit in a very nice bar for longer. We stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed it greatly.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The Duke appears to be a country pub which has added some hotel rooms at the back - and it looks a little like a 60s motel from the carpark (not quite the Bates Motel but its not very nice). We checked into our room and thought it dark, dinghy and dull. The light above the table did not work, one of the bulbs in the 3 bulb centre had gone and neither bedside light worked. Reception were very prompt to fix the bedside lights and the room brightened a little. The room and the bathroom were nice enough though the bed felt VERY hard.
We went, with the friends we were travelling with, for dinner. And we were blown away! A huge menu, lots of choice, and the quality was superb.
We got back to the room and the good food and drink had the remarkable effect of making the whole room seem brighter.
The hard bed turned out to be fine and we had a great sleep. And during the outstanding breakfast the next morning the manager (owner?) said "so sorry about the bedside lights. When I went to check them when you were at dinner the whole room seemed dark so I put brighter bulbs in the ceiling too,,,,,sorry about the light above the table, that seems to be a bigger problem than a duff bulb"
So not a great start - but a really great finish
We definitely recommend

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our cream tea that was booked a couple of months before as a giftsfortwo.com voucher from Christmas. We were staying 2 nights at a coaching inn 12 miles away and I did a lot of research of where our voucher could be used in the same area. I made a good choice! After a lot of walking around Blenheim Palace a short distance away, ( I really do recommend! )I was glad to sit down and relax. The low table by the wood-burner was already set up for tea for two, with a pretty pink flower tea set. The young lady greeted us, showed us to our table and offered us a pot of tea/coffee and informed the chef that we had arrived - I needed a glass of wine first!
The assortment of tasty, quality sandwiches/cakes/scones, cream and jam were amazing! On of the best cream teas that I have seen and enjoyed! The cake stand too was part of the same tea set - I want one like that!
The service, food and ambience was great - I would thoroughly recommend a cream tea at the Duke of Marlborough.

Room Tip: We did not stay a night, just enjoyed a cream tea.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We were going to visit Blenheim Palace and the Duke of Marlborough came up on google, it had some good reviews so we booked it. We stayed there after our visit to the Palace, which is just up the road. The room was a very nice size clean and a really comfortable bed. We ate in the Restaurant in the evening, the food was brilliant and the staff very helpfull and attentive.We had the full English breakfast in the morning, which was included in the price, we could of had cereals as well. The breakfast was yummy with loads of toast with homemade preserves and Marmalade a lovely end to our trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple