“Hilton Reading delivers”

Hilton Reading
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This was my 2nd stay at the Hilton Reading. Confortable, quiet, spotless and very good service. Good gym and pool facilities. Decent restaurant although a bit expensive. Very good breakfast.
Excellent value for money. I will not hesitate to come back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Kevin_Byrnes, Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Hilton Reading on Tripadvisor. Your remarks about the Hotel and the staff are appreciated. Our commitment at the Hilton Reading is to provide the finest in service and personal attention to everyone who stays with us, and it is helpful when our guests pass their opinions and experiences to us, allowing us to refine our procedures and services where necessary.

I am delighted to see you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you would return.

We thank you for choosing the Hilton Reading, and hope to welcome you back in the near future. If I can be of any further assistance to you, do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

My husband and I stayed for a weekend break and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. There are car parking facilities free for hotel guests along with the use of their gym and swimming pool/sauna/steam room. The hotel room was clean with very comfortable beds and pillows. The buffet style breakfast was plentiful with something for everyone and fresh coffee and juice served direct to the table. Couldn't fault the stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Kevin_Byrnes, Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see you and your Husband had such an enjoyable weekend stay with us.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed at this Hilton on the night prior to our Friday afternoon departure from Heathrow. Usually we stay at the Renaissance at Heathrow. The rate we paid was very similar. We are retirees, not on an expense account, and can't eat "all that much".
While the rooms are certainly larger and nicer, (but no King Size Bed) and the hotel newer and more modern, we are not convinced this is a better choice. This is primarily because of the lack of options for affordable eating in the surrounding area. The cost of a bottle of wine- I think the cheapest on the menu was £24 and there is no other way to get wine if you don't have a car, or bring it with you. This made our "dinner" at the bar cost over £60 for a sandwich and beef pie.
Breakfast was offered to us (if we bought the night before) for £12.50 rather than the £18 pounds the next day, however we did not want a full buffet. We ate in the bar for breakfast having Belgian waffles (too sweet), for £5.95. We drank our free coffee in the room first.
This is the first hotel we visited in 3 weeks that didn't have free internet. The receptionist at the front desk was very helpful in allowing/helping us to "check in" (no one was in the business center) for our flights the next day. I overheard another guest receiving a free voucher for 90 minutes internet access in the lobby, so I asked for one, and received it. Had I not overhead this comment, I would have been very mad about the internet cost. Come on Hilton, get with the program and offer FREE INTERNET.
As others have said, the location is out of town in a new area. Perhaps as the area develops, more alternatives for eating will develop. O

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see you found the rooms and facilities to a good standard. I do, however, apologise for the disappointments you had with the price of our food and beverage. We price ourselves on our sister hotels and feel they are very competitive for the hotel industry.
Hilton Worldwide is proud to be the first international hotel chain to offer complimentary internet access to our Gold and Diamond Hilton Honors guests and also to introduce complimentary 90 minutes internet access in our public areas for guest use. I do apologise that this information was not relayed to you and will ensure team members are aware to do so.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

The hotel's location is not great if you want to want around or get to amenities (e.g., restaurants) and the town easily enough without a car. If you have a car then the town (Reading) is only a 5-7 minutes drive but it can be horrifically busy: avoid Saturdays! Apart from the town there is a small area towards the M4 (about 5 minutes drive) where you can find a Pizza Hut, a McDonald's and a KFC. That's it. So you may need a bit of a drive to find a restaurant. The hotel has one but it is pricey. (NOTE: PIzza Hut delivers to the hotel).

So, what is so good about the place? Well, if you are using it as a base to get further afield it is ideal. The lobby is large and modern. Staff very friendly. The rooms are very nice (we were in an upgraded room). The breakfast was brilliant. A FULL English breakfast, with everything you could want plus the usual fruit, cereal, etc.

The price was ridiculous. At £46 per night (clearly an offer to get people to find it) it was a steal.
We rented a car from London Airport and it took us (on a Sunday morning) around 40 minutes from leaving the hotel to getting on the rental car van. The hotel offers free underground parking.

It can be a little hard to find. Our GPS maps were a little out of date (the hotel is only 3 years old). It is on the A33. Coming off the M4 to the A33 keep going until you pass the large stadium (and the small shopping area with McDonalds, KFC, etc) and it is approximately 2-3 minutes further on, look to your right and you will see it shortly after passing the stadium (on your left hand side).

1  Thank kakha
Kevin_Byrnes, Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see you and your family had an enjoyable stay and you found you got a good deal. I would just like to inform you that we are currently working on how to improve the visability of the hotel on the access roads for our guests.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Booked an overnighter here whilst it had 50% off on Hotels.com.

The hotel is conveniently located just a few miles off the M4. It looks pretty new and was clean, fresh and modern throughout.

The room was spacious with a huge bed and finished to a high standard, with good quality fixtures and fittings, ironing board, safe, hairdryer, large wardrobe, power shower and heated bathroom mirror. Free parking was included in the large underground car park.
The room was completely isolated from outside noise, with very effective double glazing - I didn't hear a thing all night.

The breakfast the following morning was superb, with fresh juice, tea/coffee and a large continental and cooked buffet, with loads of choice and all to a very high standard.

I would not hesitate to stay here again, in fact, I would probably stay here before flying from Heathrow rather than stay at Heathrow in the future.

Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see you had such an enjoyable stay with us and would be looking to stay with us before flying out of Heathrow.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

As other reviewers have noted, this is a new and ultra modern Hilton property, which, if you have a vehicle, is a good alternative to staying at one of the LHR properties. The drive is approximately 35-40 min. from LHR, depending on time of day, day of week.
The public spaces are light and airy, the rooms are bright and nicely decorated with Nordic furnishings. Our room was great---compact and cozy but the 'accessible room' we had booked for my father was huge and he declared it one of the nicest hotel rooms he had stayed in! The bottle of wine and water (deluxe rooms) was very much appreciated, as was the upgrade and early check-in. The breakfast buffet was delicious and probably one of the best we have had at a Hilton property. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall a good experience and we will definitely staff here again and use it as an alternative to the LHR hotels, especially the tired and worn out Hilton at Terminal 4. We were very fortunate to get an excellent rate on the Hilton website, which was the reason we booked in the first instance.
The reason that I didn't give this hotel 5 stars was twofold:
no executive lounge
stag/hen or football groups
For example, on our arrival a group of about 20 young men tumbled out of a van, drinking beer, yelling and tossing stuff over the mezzanine balcony. This behaviour was repeated later in the evening when they returned. This type of clientele, with loutish and obnoxious behaviour stands to ruin the reputation of the hotel. Although we weren't disturbed by them in our rooms, it does influence perceptions of the hotel. In the morning, on the way through to the restaurant, we could see staff cleaning up the mess that had been left in the bar. It's such a nice hotel, why ruin it ? I am not sure what the answer is, but likely the attractive rates on weekends are a double edged sword.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room on the second or third floor, away from where the groups seem to be host...

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your dining experience with us at the Hilton Reading on Tripadvisor. Your remarks about the Hotel and the staff are appreciated. Our commitment at the Hilton Reading is to provide the finest in service and personal attention to everyone who stays with us or uses our outlets, and it is helpful when our guests pass their opinions and experiences to us, allowing us to refine our procedures and services where necessary.

I was delighted to read that you and your family had such an enjoyable stay and you felt you were well taken care of by the staff members. I would however, like to apologise for your experience caused by other guests of the hotel and can assure you the hotel takes anything which impacts on a guest stay very seriously and this is not a regular occurrence.
With regards to the Executive Lounge, unfortunately, we cannot offer this service to our guests as we do not have the facility to do so.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Although it's not central Reading, the diver for staying here was the brand.. However, hearing a bunch of guys next door get ready for a stag do just before lunch was the warning sign, The room was modern and comfortable but we were walked in on twice getting ready at 2.30, and 2,32pm, one knock on the door and a turn of the key 5 seconds later, not much fun when your're not even dressed! The main issue came at 3am when our neighbours retuned, shouting and laughing for over an hour. It may of been quieter for us if we weren't in a room with a connecting (but locked) door. I'm sure the value for money factor played into their hands as it sounded like at least 4 blokes. With the room cards being deactivated on our second nights stay and the random iron placed at the bottom of the bed (by room service?) I'm wondering if it would of been better to of got a taxi back to London last night instead. It's now 6am and I'm hoping to get my monies worth by going to the free gym as sleep seems to be a novelty. Probably an isolated event but a bad experience either way,

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Ben H
Kevin_Byrnes, Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to apologise for your experience caused by other guests of the hotel and am aware you spoke to our Duty Manager during the night who acted immediately to contact the guests once advised. As a hotel we do our utmost to ensure our guests all have a pleasant experience and it is disappointing when some cause disturbance to others. I can assure you the hotel takes anything which impacts on a guest stay very seriously and this is not a regular occurrence.