“mid-drive sleepover”

GreenLeadersGold level
Swansea, United Kingdom
“mid-drive sleepover”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Again, through a great hilton.com rate, this was a perfect stopping point along the M4. The pool and sauna aren't the best you'll come across, but not the worst either. Rooms overlooking the road have amazing window-glazing. The bar was quite good for a Thursday night and breakfast was great. The usual comfy hilton bedding and power shower. Lacking a decent coffee machine, as the kettles here are really noisy. Just ask for robes and slippers - the staff are really helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank OldFreddy5
Helen_Dashper, PA to Director of Operation at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Hilton Reading on Tripadvisor. Your comments about the Hotel and the team are appreciated. Our commitment at the Hilton Reading is to provide the finest in service and personal attention to everyone who stays with us, and it is helpful when our guests pass their opinions and experiences to us, allowing us to refine our procedures and services where necessary.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the breakfast.

We thank you for choosing the Hilton Reading, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If I can be of any further assistance to you, do not hesitate to contact me.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Arabic first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Enjoyed my stay. Room was bright, modern and clean. Had a swim in the pool,which was fine although not many lounge beds. Breakfast was a bit of a shambles. It was busy and because of this, we had to wait for items to be replenished. I would stay again though.

• Stayed October 2012
Helen_Dashper, PA to Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 1 November 2012

Menai Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

This hotel was very clean and stylish better than I expected to be honest, the room was fab comfy and clean with everything you might need I would say one of the best i've stayed in.
My wife and I were on a coach trip as it was our first we didn't realise that this meant we were second class citizens! On arrival at dinner we were seated behind a screen at the back of the restaurant and were told we would probably have to share a table with strangers we were not impressed as it was my wife's romantic birthday treat but were basically told they were very busy so it was tough! The food was only ok and the staff hovered over us clearing my plate before i put my cutlery down and before my wife had finished which we find rude really and when we mentioned it the waiter shouted like a petulant child 'I did ask'!!! yes but took plate whilst speaking not giving us a chance to answer...to continue the childish pattern we were then not offered tea and coffee like everyone else after we had eaten. Going back up to our room our key didn't work and we had to go back to reception this is common but tipped off our evening. The next morning at breakfast we were seated at an uncleared table and could only have tea as the girl couldn't find the coffee???? We waited a long time for the hot food to be filled it had all ran out at the same time and a queue was building to be fair breakfast eventually was lovely but extremely disorganised. This could be a great hotel if the waiting on staff were trained better or failing that sack them all and start again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kellie O
Oxford
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My Wife & I stayed here for one night recently whilst visiting family locally.

The hotel is conveniently located (after one has negotiated the dreaded Junction 11 roundabout) just 2 mins off the M4 . First impressions were really positive with a really modern facade to the building & a bright spacious & airy Reception area.

After a wait of a few minutes I was eventually checked in by the Reception Clerk. This turned out to be a somewhat laboured process for although I had pre-booked & am an Honors member, the Clerk insisted that some additional documentation which had been previously faxed and for which acknowledgement had been received by me needed to be sighted in its original form. Luckily I had it on me but the Clerk was unable to tell me why the original document was required.

Parking is on site in the Car Park situated under the hotel. There is a lift or stairs to Reception. Parking is complimentary for Guests.

The Room which was located on the 2nd floor was fine & extremely clean and generally comfortable. The room was quiet with no noise from either the corridor or the road outside. The only annoying disturbance came from the mattress which insisted on playing its own (not too tuneful) melody every time one moved or turned over in bed!

The bathroom was of reasonable size, was clean with plenty of hot water. It is a shame that there were few toiletries to actually use with the plentiful hot water!

The morning papers arrived as ordered - which can be a feat in itself these days.

Breakfast next morning turned out to be a complete & utter shambles.

To start the Restaurant Reception desk was unmanned & whilst waiting fro 7 to 8 minutes we were able to gaze upon the numerous empty table that were awaiting clearance. We were also able to observe the 3 Waitresses running arounbd like headless chickens and getting nowhere. In all this time the queue was growing and not even a hint of a meber of Staff coming to apologise for the delay or to give any indication that they had even seen us!

Eventually we were seated and after 3 attempts we were eventually privide with some Cutlery. After a further 2 attempts we eventually received some cups & yes you've guessed it took a further 2 attempts before we were offerd tea or coffee to go in them. Whilst all this was taking place the people behind us were still gazing out over the many uncleared empty tables in the Breakfast room from their place in the queue.

When we eventually got to the breakfast buffet it was a sight for sore eyes. Most of the dishes were awaiting replenishment. When they were eventually replenished the fresh food was simply tipped in on top of the old. We guessed that some of the food at the bottom of the pans could have been there for up to 3 hours omn this basis.

This experience was such a shame as it significantly detracted from what would otherwise have been a delightful stay in a shiny new hotel.

I have therfore marked the overall service down to 2 for this reason.

Room Tip: We has a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the entrance and found this to be extremely quie...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank timetravellerOxford
Helen_Dashper, PA to Directpr of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry you experienced some difficulties when checking in and your comments have been passed to our Front of House Manager to address with his Team.

I am disappointed to read that the food and service you received in at breakfast was not as to be expected. I can assure you your comments have been taken on board and I have raised these with our Food & Beverage Management Team to ensure these learning needs are addressed immediately.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The hotel is situated on a business park, some distance from the city centre. It is convenient for drivers, attending a conference as I was, but inevitably it has little character to recommend it. First impressions were not particularly good. From the underground car park the reception was poorly signposted and the lift was out of order. Having checked in, the room card key didn't work and even after a trip back to reception the very helpful young man who returned with me clutching an electronic hand-held device could not activate the clock in the door for another 30 minutes.

Service was a real positive in all areas of the hotel from reception through to the breakfast staff. Staff are mostly young and from beyond the UK but are cheerful, attentive and obliging. The room was a good size, clean and with modern furnishings including a comfortable bed, effective air-conditioning and a well-appointed bathroom. Wi Fi was advertised but not working in my room. On request it appeared that after a complimentary 60 minutes this would cost an extra £6 an hour which given the fact that this hotel is aimed at a business clientele is nothing short of scandalous.

Far and away the worst aspect of my stay here though was the catering. Our final dinner epitomised its 'style over substance' approach. Uniformed staff were on hand to assist us in unfurling our napkins or moving our dessert cutlery from one position to another (is there really somebody who actually likes this kind of nonsense?) but the food was absolutely tasteless: a tian of overcooked vegetables on a slice of industrial-quality mozzarella which seemed unlikely ever to have encountered a cow, let alone a buffalo; 3 circles of flavourless and texture-less pap which claimed to be blade of beef; over-sugared, overcooked fruit in a crumble; standard plonk (£4 a bottle at the supermarket?) retailing at £22. I can't believe that anyone spending their own money would ever eat here by choice more than once.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I am disappointed to read that the food you received in our food and beverage outlets was not as to be expected. I can assure you your comments have been taken on board and I have raised these with our Food & Beverage Management Team to ensure this is addressed immediately.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

After reading some previous reviews that weren't that complimentary I am glad I didn't use them to influence my choice of hotel. From the moment I arrived at the hotel I was greeted by a very friendly member of staff at reception, check in was very quick and effortless and within a few minutes I was relaxing in my room.

Iade full use of the excellent lesuire facilities, just the job after a long journey. My room overlooked the busy road but I had no noise issues at all and had a perfect night sleep.

The breakfast in the morning was lovely with plenty of good selection and the most amazing orange juice!

On checking out I was again looked after by the same lady who checked me in, she was friendly and efficient. All in all I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone, I will definately be coming back again.

• Stayed October 2012
Helen_Dashper, Pa to Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted that you found our leisure facilities, breakfast and overall service good, and that you had such an enjoyable stay.

London
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I stumbled across this new hotel off Rose Kiln Lane in Reading while driving and needed a break so walked in and asked for a room. My immediate impression was good with a swanky, bright ultra-modern reception & foyer.
Despite being a Hilton Honours gold card holder I was informed quite sternly that I "could only be accepted into the hotel on production of an acceptable photo ID". It is not a requirement to carry this yet in UK and I explained this to the young girl on reception. Her reply was "then it is policy that you can not stay here". I asked to see the manager and she hesitated for a minute and replied "seeing as you are known to us we will make an exception on this occcasion and you can stay".
Once I had overcome the barrier to get in I found a nice, comfortable room with an excellent entertainment system, ultra-clean and quiet.
I received dinner in the bar ordering a burger with side salad which was served with really excellent presentation skills. I felt that I must be in a 2 star Michelin restaurant but then came the second dissapointment. The food wast tasteless. Even the tomatoes were bland and looked like they were the cheapest available from the supermarket. The chips were luke warm and the salt cellar on the table was blocked due to condensation so I could not add and flavour.

For £115 per night, this p[lace has a lot of potential and I will give the management the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it is still early days organisationally or they were just having a bad day.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bertybign
Helen_Dashper, PA to the Operations Director at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to apologise for the shortfall in service relating to your interactions with my front desk team regarding your Hilton Hhonors / ID difficulties. I have raised your concerns with the Front of House Manager who will address this with his team immediately.

I am disappointed that you found the food in Bar below the standard expected and this has been raised with our Food and Beverage Manager to be addressed for the future.