“Purely Average Hotel, Gouging Included”
Review of Hilton Reading

Hilton Reading
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“Purely Average Hotel, Gouging Included”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

This is a nice clean hotel located outside of Central Reading in a residential neighborhood. There is nothing outstanding about it, average rooms, average food, average service. Not being in the center of the city, I was shocked by the high cost of parking and felt like I had been taken when paying sixty pounds for internet service which was very slow and overall problematic (and I am in the IT business).

I visited the bar three times for food service and each time the service was poor. On my last visit for lunch, I had to repeatedly find my server. The food was average hotel food that you can tire of very quickly.

But like I said, it is a newer clean hotel. I will stay here again in the future, but my expectations will be set.

If you have no car, a bus to Central Reading stops very close by.

Room Tip: It is a small hotel, there really is no difference in rooms or location.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Randal S
Helen_Dashper, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Hilton Reading on Tripadvisor. Your comments about the Hotel and the team are appreciated. Our commitment at the Hilton Reading is to provide the finest in service and personal attention to everyone who stays with us, and it is helpful when our guests pass their opinions and experiences to us, allowing us to refine our procedures and services where necessary.

I am disappointed to read that your dining experience in BarK was not as you would have expected and that both the food and service fell below our expected standards.
I have also passed your comments in regards to the food to our executive chef.

We thank you for choosing the Hilton Reading, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If I can be of any further assistance to you, do not hesitate to contact me.

Helen Dashper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Arabic first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2012 via mobile

A pleasant stay with classic Hilton standards of comfort, service and cleanliness.
The "on site" underground car park which has a lift direct to the lobby is a Godsend.
Check in was professional, personal and prompt despite the fact reception was busy with numerous guests arriving.
Our deluxe twin room was spotless with very comfortable beds and a well proportioned bathroom.
We took advantage of room service which arrived quickly and was of excellent quality.
Breakfast exceeded expectations with good variety. Everything was well cooked and very tasty.
Checkout was painless with excellent email follow up confirming total bill and a copy of the receipt.
The hotel is ideally situated for access to Reading and the surrounding area especially the Oracle Shopping Centre and the Reading football stadium. The hotel is easy to find from the M4.
Well with a stay and we will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for all the very positive comments about our staff.

Adare, Ireland
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Very comfortable stay here. Nice business hotel with great rooms and a very good breakfast. Although I had a nice stay, my colleague did not. He was put into an "accessible" room with a blocked shower, then transferred to another room that was for smokers that stank. Not a nice experience.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us however was disappointed to read that you colleague was rather disappointed.

Manchester
Reviewed 10 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on business as I had a meeting at a nearby location.
Great setting next to the main roads in Reading.
Underground parking is a plus an a wry swift check in.
I was upgraded to a deluxe room, complimentary which was a nice touch. Bed and room very comfortable.
Breakfast is fantastic.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We were visiting in Slough and decided to stay in Reading which is 15 miles on the M4.
From the moment we stepped inside the hotel's spacious and attractive foyer, we were met by smiling, attentive and courteous staff.
The room was clean and bright, and the bed lovely and comfortable.
The restaurant staff were extremely professional and friendly, and the food beautifully prepared and full of flavour.
The directions were not as clear as they could be from the websites of AA, Green Flag etc, but the hotel staff's simple directions from the M4 in the Hilton's splurge, were spot on.
All in all a very relaxing break. Well worth a visit to see what is meant by customer service.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank Patrick and Jen... S
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Royal Berkshire
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Nice,clean hotel,with smart professional staff.We are members of the health club,which is easy to access,with free parking underground the hotel-overall,good,but out on a limb if you need access to Reading Town centre

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us especially the gym fascility.

Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

We decided to stay at the Hilton whilst having a wedding to attend in Reading.
The only real issue that we experienced was the location. Getting in and out of reading town centre was a nightmare... The hotel is situated about two miles that took on average twenty five minutes to travel.
Once at the hotel we were satisfied with the hotel and it's amenities along with the great service you would expect from a brand like Hilton. All in all a good two nights.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry to hear that travelling to town was difficult on the day you stayed with us. However I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.