“Afternoon tea and spa??”
Review of Hilton Reading

Hilton Reading
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

I purchased a deal for afternoon tea with the use of the spa for my mum and I. When we arrived we were given our complimentary prosseco which came with the deal, I was driving so had a diet coke and was shocked that it was £3.20!! Our cake and sandwich stand just arrived we didn't get a choice of sandwiches we just got what we were given, we wasn't asked if we wanted a vegetarian selection they were rather dry too. When we got to the 'spa' we was looking forward to a couple of hours relaxing having a swim and just chilling. The shower cubical a had no lock, no where to hang your towels, no private changing areas...not everyone feels comfortable getting naked in front of strangers. We got to the pool, it was tiny and so busy we couldn't properly swim, there was a child jumping in, in the swimming lane, I have kids I'm all for playing with the kids in the pool but we was expecting peace, quiet, relaxation...if we wanted that busy kids splashing I would have gone to a splash pool! It was just too busy and not relaxing spa at all.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Masterjjms
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear MasterJjims

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and experiences of your recent stay at the Hilton Reading on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your honesty and kindly assure you that comments will be looked at by colleagues with the view of making changes where possible.

I was disappointed to read your comments with regards to your afternoon tea. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. You can be certain your constructive criticism has been discussed with the relevant department to avoid any reoccurrence.

I was sorry to read that you left the hotel feeling disappointed after your visit. Please be assured that your experience does not reflect the standards of service we aim to offer and I do hope you will give us another opportunity and that you will return to the hotel so we can show you we can do much better.

With kind regards

Reviewed 20 September 2013

So far very poor customer services, call several times to book for afternoon tea but if i was not cut off, the phone was not answered!! I persevered having bought a voucher however the staff at this "luxury" hotel has no clue about customer services, after 3 calls this morning I managed to get to someone prepared to book a table on my behalf.
I said farcical customer services in my title because the experience was a bit surreal, before being ask when, what time etc... I was given 7 dates where I could not book before asking me when I wanted to book then was told that I could not book my chosen date even the date requested was not mentioned in the previous 7 dates, it was the most kafkaesque moment. I have managed to book a table, but I am not really sure now that I want to go there if the customer services is so poor am I going to enjoy my afternoon tea on the 1st of October??? This is all the question!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Caroline S

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Adviser as thoughts and experiences from our guests are very much appreciated and are used to rectify any shortfalls highlighted to us.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in service that you recieved whilst booking your afternoon tea. Such issues are not at all indicative of the high service standards we usually demonstrate and again I would offer our unreserved apologies.

I am delighted to see that you will be at our hotel on the 1st October. Should you need anything at all, please feel free to contact me on aimee.louiseash@hilton.com.

Hilton Reading looks forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

I arrived at the hotel to find to find that my reservation made by my boss with hotels.com had not been received. The staff were most helpful and found me a room and at a cheaper price than had been paid to hotels.com. The room was large with a nice comfy bed. The heating system was a little noisey but could be controlled/switched off in the room. The reception staff also told me where I could go for a meal. Breakfast was good and the hotel has a good underground car park. I would definately stay again when in the Reading Area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Andrew M

Thank you for posting such a positive comment following your stay at the Hilton Reading.

I was delighted to see that my reception team were able to resolve your missing booking issue quickly, and that you found them to be helpful.

We are pleased to see your stay was a pleasant one and look forward to another opportunity when we can welcome you back once more.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

This was a complimentary one night bed and breakfast stay that I won in the summer. On arrival we found the hotel to be bright, airy, modern and very clean with a relaxed atmosphere. There were no functions goung on that night so it was quiet.
There were just a few niggles which we did feedback on leaving; our room was reserved as a deluxe room but on arrival found no evidence of this being the case. No bathrobes or slippers were available and were surprised to find no biscuits on the beverage tray or small bottles of water supplied. There was a large bottle of water to purchase at £3.95 - no thank you!
We used the swimming pool which was very warm but were unable to shower afterwards as the showers were closed due to a blockage. Room information advising us that we needed a £1 coin for the locker would have been useful as we had to return to our room to get coins.
The buffet breakfast had an extensive choice and the staff were attentive.
We were impressed to see how swiftly a fire extinguisher that had been let off in our corridor by some late night revellers was replaced and the corridor cleared of their food mess. Would definately return.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and had a room on the 3rd floor which was quiet on the night we were there...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear MuddyPuddles

Thank you for posting a review on the hotel and for leaving positive comments.

In terms of the not so positive, I appreciate your honesty and kindly assure you that comments will be looked at by colleagues with the view of making changes where possible.

Should I be able to help with further specifics, please drop me a line on aimee.louiseash@hilton.com, when I will be delighted to investigate and respond further to you.

I am delighted yo see that you had an enjoyable stay, and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night as I had meetings in the nearby area.
Very modern, very clean and the staff were great. The lounge area was really comfortable with nice big sofas and the service was good.
My room was really comfortable and I had a great nights sleep.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sargent0

Thank you for your review on Hilton Reading.

Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read.

Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Reading once again in the near future.

With kind regards

Reviewed 18 September 2013

The hotel was booked as an anniversary treat. We had a spa package also included. The booking was NOT done through Hilton directly but rather a third party website offering pampering packages. At the time of booking the spa center (a separate company working within the complex) booked my wifes time slot into another Hilton hotel about 15 miles away. They phoned us a day before travel to inform us of the mix up and we had to change the day and time for the spa treatment. We were late by 20 mins and my wife had 20 mins cut from her treatment! They said they had no more slots available yet my wife purchased a slot for me one hour later!

The other issue WAS directly linked with the Hotel was the restaurant manager saying that the restaurant closes at 10pm but would not allow us to enter at 21:29pm. We had our dinner in the bar instead. The other staff were amazing Kristina at reception and the Manager, Mario was fantastic. He was not aware of the problem with the spa but he upgraded my booking when he heard it was an anniversary celebration

Breakfast selection was limited and not really what I would expect, with Heathrow only 25 miles away you wouldn't expect a mainly English breakfast selection

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear SonnyCash

Thank you for posting a review on the hotel and for leaving positive comments.

In terms of the not so positive, please let me kindly assure you that comments will be looked at by colleagues with the view of making changes where possible, such issues are not at all indicative of the high service standards we usually demonstrate and I would offer our unreserved apologies.

I was also disappointed to read that you were unable to have your evening meal in the Larder Restaurant due to timings. It is possible to reserve a table upon checking in, this option is always available to you which I hope is useful when you next stay.

I was delighted to read that both Krisitna and Mario were able to leave a lasting impression on you, and I hope that you enjoyed your upgraded bedroom.

If I can assist you with any further matters I will be happy to help, please feel free to contact me on aimee.louiseash@hilton.com.

I remain for now with kind regards.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

I have used this hotel on several occasions, for overnight stays of our charity board. It is clinical and quiet. The food is ok, but nothing exceptional. It does the job and has fee wifi in the lobby.

Room Tip: Avoid the corridor to the fitness rooms and rooms by the lifts
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Nigel B

Thank you for posting a review on the hotel and for leaving positive comments.

I am delighted to read that you have chosen to return to the hotel several times.

Thank you for taking the time to offerfeedback. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Reading once again in the near future