“Very Satisfied”

GreenLeadersGold level
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Very Satisfied”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed at the Hilton, Reading after company Christmas ball.

-Free Parking
-Reception staff were very helpful with all check in inquiries.
-All staff very friendly and chatty
-The room was nice and large and immaculately clean!
-Pleased at having the opportunity to use the pool/ spa facilities and took full advantage of these before our evenings entertainment.
-The ball was in the Windsor suite which is a fantastic function venue, large with its own bar. -The soup starter served was nice but the main course (Christmas dinner) and Christmas pudding desert weren't particularly great.
-Comfy beds, the mattresses really are very good!
-Breakfast was a good variety, cooked breakfast, cereal, fruit, continental and some proper jam! (A selection of flavours in small jars, not cheap, nasty stuff served in plastic.)
-No nice views out of window but not particularly bothered

Our plan for the next day was to go home late that night after we had spent the day in Reading. However after such a good visit, using the facilities and being made to feel very welcome by all staff we decided to book another night. The first night we stayed on the second floor and for the second night we were moved to the first floor.
Our second nights experience mirrored the first up until we tried to go to sleep. From 9/10 o'clock onwards, music from the functions downstairs was blaring so loud we couldn't sleep until it had finished! (1:00 am!!) We hadn't noticed this the previous night being on the second floor and weren't very impressed.
The staff at reception the next morning did offer to cancel the tray charge that was associated with ordering food to the room. (Another tip food is expensive, and hotel is not near centre of town and any restaurants)

Overall would definitely stay here again but would request a room above the first floor.

Room Tip: A room above the first floor to avoid any function noise
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 50Tom_G50
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 13 May 2015
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback on the Hilton Reading.

Your comments about the hotel and team are appreciated, and I will be sure to forward your feedback onto the team members.

We are pleased to see your stay was a pleasant one and look forward to another opportunity when we can welcome you back once more.

Aimee Louise Ash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

The Hilton in Reading is an exemplary hotel in all aspects.

We stayed here for three days in July, and we really enjoyed every minute of our stay!

Service is second to none, the rooms are very clean and tastefully furnished, all the furnishings are hypoallergenic as well.

And the location, the staff, the food, and pretty much everything else is just excellent.

Highly recommended hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Experienced T
Dear ExperiencedT

Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback on the Hilton Reading.

Your comments about the hotel and team are appriecated, and I will be sure to forward your feedback onto the team members.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I really liked this hotel. Was able to park free underground with a quick lift to reception. The receptionists were friendly and chatty, plus ensured I received a nice room. Everything in the room worked. I know that this should be the norm for a Hilton but it isn't always the case! Views are not great but even though I faced a road it was some way away and the room was completely quiet. Very good value for money and great service.

The breakfast was excellent and just what was needed after a late night.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the A33 are probably quieter as you won't hear the noise of guests arriving and lea...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear ThatT1Feeling

Thank you for your review on Hilton Reading.

I was delighted by your comments, and pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Reading once again in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

The staff were very friendly on arrival , free car parking . I think the hotel lacks atmosphere , the room was very nice very clean, I think it is a long way out of Reading and there is no other way to get in but drive or taxi which can soon add up at £16 round trip , I was here a few days . Mini bar was expensive and , free wifi only in the bar this day and age it should be free all over.on one of the nights I could not sleep because of the noise in the function room I was on the 3rd floor

Room Tip: Try front of the hotel away from function room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Gerbear1

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and experiences of your recent stay at the Hilton Reading .

Please be advised, there is a bus service that stops outside of the hotel, and runs every 30 minutes.

I was very pleased to read that you found our staff to be friendly and polite, and I will be sure to pass on your comments.

West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at Hilton Reading on an organised coach trip.
On arrival we had a swift check in and soon found our room on the first floor room 112. The room was bright and clean, with a huge, very comfortable bed. Plenty of lighting and a control for heating/air conditioning. The tv was a flat screen and you were provided with a keyboard to enable you to access your e-mails etc through the tv.
Tea and coffee making facilities were provided, as was an iron, ironing board and hairdryer.
Bathroom was again very clean, a selection of toiletries were provided, and clean white fluffy towels which were replaced daily.
Our room had a bath with shower over and no problems were encountered with the shower, it was also nice to have a shower screen rather than a shower curtain.
Our evening meal was buffet style, plenty of choice on the starters/salad bar but not much choice on the main course, but what we had was very tasty and well cooked, again not much choice of dessert but enjoyed the profiteroles.
The bar prices were a little on the expensive side, and if you like cocktails I would not advise you to try one here, I had what must have been the worst one I have ever tasted, and I also noticed somebody else taking two cocktails back to the bar.
Breakfast was again buffet style, plenty of choice but a bit slow at replenishing the dishes, food was nice and tasty. Tea and coffee were served at the table.
Service in the restaurant was a little slow, but I think that maybe they were short staffed.
I didn't find the staff to be quite as friendly and helpful as at other Hilton hotels I have visited but I can understand that they were very busy.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the hotel, which was nice and quiet, people in rooms situated at the fr...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank VeronicaJ4
Dear VeronicaJ4

Thank you for your review on Hilton Reading, your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read.

In terms of the pricing and the not so positive, I appreciate your honesty and kindly assure you that comments will be looked at by colleagues with the view of making changes where possible.

Should I be able to help with further specifics, please drop me a line on aimee.louiseash@hilton.com, when I will be delighted to investigate and respond further to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon so we can hopefully fully exceed your expectations next time around and again. In the meantime, if I can assist with this or with any other aspect of a booking with us, I will be happy to help and remain for now with kind regards

South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed at The Hilton on Saturday 30th November. We arrived at 3.30 and check in was quick and easy after we entered through the underground car park. Our rooms were very nice although didn't have the wow factor that we thought we'd have from a Hilton hotel. Mini bar was ridiculously expensive (£3 for a can of coke) as were the pay facilities on the TV (£15+). TV was of a high standard though. Bed very comfortable but curtains and shower mat weren't very clean.
We headed to the gym which was well equipped and then to the pool. Surprised to see that there was no Jacuzzi but there was a sauna and steam room. We caught a bus from outside the hotel into Reading and it was very cheap (£5 for 4 people all night). The return bus stopped about 8-10 minutes walk away which was no problem. We didn't eat at the restaurant or visit the bar. After using the gym and pool again in the morning we headed to the breakfast room. Breakfast was plentiful with a huge choice of cereals, fruits, pastries, juices, salads, cooked items and more. This was included on the price of the room but I would imagine it very expensive. A 12 o'clock check out was very nice.
In closing a very good hotel experience but was expecting the rooms to be better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Chris-magenta

Thank you for posting a review on the hotel and for leaving positive comments.

With kind regards

Aimee Ash
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Positives - Our stay was value for money, all the staff were friendly and professional, the venue was clean and massage in the spa was lovely. Rooms for improvements - 1) At time of the booking I arranged for a King Size bed and called in to sort out a room upgrade, which I was promised would be done when I arrived. It was not so I called reception to negotiate the changes and agreed to pay the additional difference but the staff only moved us to a room next door with a King sized bed. 2) when booked spa treatment we were not informed that the pool was being used for a toddlers swimming lesson so we did not get to use all the facilities as there were lots of children and parents in the changing rooms, pool and sauna area. If we had known we could have chosen a different time to use the facilities. 3) The waiters and menu in the restaurant did not fully explain how the food would be presented/cooked when asked, so when it arrived it was not what we expected and could not eat it. It would have been nice to see other menu options for which we would have paid the difference, but the offer was not made. 4) The heating system would switch on then turn itself off, without us realizing, hence why it was not reported at the time, by the time we got up in the morning and noticed it was time to check out. 5) When I checked out I paid the added differences for the room service and restaurant meal but I was later billed for the bottle of water in the room, which I feel should have been done at the time of check out. So it was not nice receiving a bill in the post a week later. I think a phone call to inform me first would have been nice. I have stayed at a number of Hilton Hotels in London in the past and have never had any issues, so was surprised about the above mentioned and varying standards.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Nicolette W

Thank you for posting a review on the Hilton Reading.

Thoughts and experiences from our guests are very much appreciated and are used to rectify any shortfalls highlighted to us.

I am sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations on this occasion and it is very regrettable.

I understand that we have spoken to you directly with regards to your stay however, should you need anything further, please feel free to contact me on aimee.louiseash@hilton.com.

With kind regards