“Top Quality - Great Value!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Reading
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersGold level
New Lenox, Illinois
“Top Quality - Great Value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was a Diamond reward stay, and we choose it for minimal point impact, and to avoid the expense of London for several nights, whilst doing the Cotswold's and Stonehenge. We were pleasantly surprised by the modern, spacious room, quality furnishings, nicely appointed bath, easy free parking, and hands down- the best breakfast we have enjoyed anywhere- for three mornings!

I also highly recommend this easy-to-get-to place as ideal for an American coming from Heathrow Airport and relearning to drive on the left.

We were unpleasantly surprised by a wee-hour false fire alarm our first night- but these kind of things happen and it just happens to remind us of an otherwise extremely uneventful and good stay.

When we return to this corner of the world, the Hilton Reading with be our stay of choice. Since we messed up timing on visiting Downton Abbey, we likely will be back soon!

Room Tip: Better views are up higher!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear DPooleMWIS

It was a pleasure to read your review regarding our hotel. Thank you for posting it!

I was so happy to read that your experience at the hotel has been so positive throughout, starting from the very beginning until the very end. I was also delighted to read that you enjoyed your Hilton breakfast, I will be sure to pass your compliments to the chef!

Once again a big thank you for your review and for recommending us! I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back again!

Aimee Louise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Arabic first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Fantastic hotel both for events, rooms and service. Would highly recommend this hotel. Excellent location very close to the M4 Jct 11. Friendly staff that were willing to help out on numerous things. Top Quality hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear 290sandrag2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! It is so great to know that you've had a wonderful time while staying with us, and that the service provided by the staff and the hotel's location was to your liking!

We are very happy to read that you would recommend us, and are looking forward to your next visit!

with kind regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We booked this as a part of Legoland trip so for a family of 3 it was only 104£ for 1 day Legoland pass, stay and Morning breakfast- Cracker of a deal it was.
Heated pool, with steam and sauna. Kid got a surprise welcome pack with a pirate jigsaw puzzle !!
Decently surprised with a value.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sid G
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Sid G

Thank you for posting such a positive comment following your stay at the Hilton Reading.

We are pleased to see your stay was a pleasant one and look forward to another opportunity when we can welcome you back once more.

Weatherford, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I tagged along on my husband's business trip. I had lots of time by myself and got to know the hotel staff fairly well. All were eager to help me with whatever I needed, whether it be needing new linens or helping me get a cab downtown. The staff cleaned the rooms daily, and came rather early. I am an early riser so this did not bother me. The beds are extremely comfortable and they give you several different types of pillows (different firmness). The rooms are kind of small, but for only a week it worked. I also liked that they had American-style outlets. I brought converters, but it was still nice. The workout facility is nice but the pool and saunas are kind of gross. The local community shares the workout facility with the hotel so there was heavy traffic in the pool area (mothers and little kids, mainly). I enjoyed the steam room, but every time I went to use it, there was always hair or nasty stuff on the tiled floor that should have been cleaned. The pool itself looked okay, but I never used it. Everything else was extremely clean, though. Just not the pool area!

Our room rate came with the breakfast buffet. It was delicious. Lots of options. I cannot eat gluten and there was plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, along with eggs and cheeses to choose from. The breakfast staff was so nice and they even remember how you take your coffee or tea from the day before! Very professional and proper--a nice surprise.

There is a bar and cafe that is nice, but expensive. A latte cost something like 6 pounds...crazy!

Overall, its a great hotel. It's kind of far from London, and there isn't much to do around the area. However, you can easily get to the train station or downtown if you're looking to get away.

Room Tip: Get the room rate that includes breakfast--way worth it
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kelly K
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Kelly K

Thank you for posting a review on the hotel and for leaving positive comments. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and you found our team members to be polite and friendly.

I would also like to thank you for your kind words in relation to our breakfast team. I have passed on your comments, which they were delighted to receive!

In terms of the not so positive, I appreciate your honesty in relation to the LivingWell Health Club and kindly assure you that comments will be looked at by colleagues where they will further investigate. I would like to reassure you, our Health Club Changing rooms and poolside are tidied and cleaned on an hourly basis. Should I be able to help with further specifics, please drop me a line on aimee.louiseash@hilton.com, when I will be delighted to investigate and respond further to you.

Your sincerely

Santa Fe, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel is new, clean, and the staff was helpful. The only issue I had was my room key stopped working three days into my trip. The front desk reset my key and it stopped working again within 30 minutes. After the second time, they replaced the key and I had no further issues with it. The gym had a good variety of equipment and it is open 24/7 for guests. The only downside was that they turn off the lights to the fitness center lobby at 8:00pm. As a female, on travel alone, it didn't feel very safe walking from the gym to the stairwell, through the dark fitness lobby. They should consider leaving that light on for guest safety. The hotel location is a bit out of the way so you are looking at a 2 mile walk or L8.00 taxi ride (each way) just to get to non-generic restaurants and the shopping center. This led to dining at the hotel bar more but getting out to see Reading very little.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Renee O

We are delighted that you noted the efficiency and friendliness of the staff. We strive to make the hotel experience as effortless and comfortable to our guests as possible, therefore, your comments are truly appreciated.

I am however sorry to read that you did not feel comfortable when walking towards the gym in the evening due to the lights being switched off. I would like to reassure you, at the Hilton Reading the safety of all guests is our number one priority in everything we do. I have sent your comments onto my LivingWell Manager for review.

New York NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Excellent if you're driving. We were not arriving / departing on transport and didn't need to get into the center of town so this was the perfect location for us.

Modern facility - very helpful staff. Just an overall nice place to stay.

Having stayed at such a large number of Hilton Hotels, it's difficult to find something earth-shattering to say - it's a good hotel in a good location and is consistent with what I'd expect of a Hilton.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear MoreFFmiles

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Hilton Reading. We appreciate you taking the time to leave detailed feedback of your stay, and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and I am pleased to see that your comments supports this.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I chose to stay at this hotel as a base for my sons and I when visiting Legoland and Chessington.
Having paid just £166 for Legoland admission and two nights here with breakfast, my first impressions were that this would be one of the better hotel breaks I had been on.
The hotel itself is very modern, clean and comfortable.
On arrival the staff were very helpful and friendly, made a fuss of my sons. The rooms are excellent, spotless and there are nice touches such as ice machines and complimentary film downloads in with our package. We stayed in room 302 for two nights from 30th May.
The floors are solid and so no noise can be heard from above or below.
My bed wasn't brilliant and quite springy but everything else was very modern.
Breakfast was good with an abundance of choice and again service excellent.
Having been out for the day during Saturday, when we got back things started to go wrong.
On pulling in to the grounds it was clear that there was some sort of large function taking place, there were lots of people in dinner jackets and cocktail dresses outside the hotel smoking and parking was difficult.
I purposely went out of my way to find an hotel in the region with a pool that was open in to the evening as it gives my sons something to do when we return of an evening. Having returned with this aim in mind we were turned away from the pool as there was some sort of technical problem.
I saw people coming out of the pool area however and had to take two very disappointed sons to the bar instead.
Service here was excellent with friendly staff, high quality draught beer which was reasonably priced and bar staff that brought me a new Beer over as soon as they saw me getting low.
However the bar started to get engulfed by people from the charity event that was in the function room (which was a football based event that featured the original Premier League Trophy).
There were some ex pros there that I recognised and their choice of language wasn't great.
I asked if my sons might be able to take a look at the trophy given their earlier disappointment but was told "I can't possibly let people like you in there", which whilst a little abrupt, was something that I understood.
We went back to our rooms which is where things really went down the tubes.
Trying to sleep on the uncomfortable bed was difficult enough when the function downstairs spilled outside and for hours on end, loud males voices, football chanting and shouting could be heard continuously from the car park below. It was never ending.
An impromptu game of football broke out with the associated cheering and shouting and sleep was impossible.
Having not slept at all I had to go downstairs, leaving my sons on their own in the room to protest about this at 0315.
What I saw was the party in full swing with hundreds of people in the bar area and an horrendous racket.
I tried to outline my concerns to the Polish youth on reception who tried to help but given the language barrier and the din he had trouble enough recording my room number correctly let alone recording my complaint which I heard nothing of.
The noise from the car park got worse if anything and then at 0515 someone thought it would be an idea to start piping out gangster rap from the stereo of one of the sports cars parked beneath us on the main hotel entrance. Words fail me as to how this was permitted or that nobody contemplated that this was actually a hotel where hundreds were trying to sleep.
At 0615 I again went downstairs to see what I could sort out and was less than in a calm state of mind at this stage.
There were still ex footballers drinking brandy, I roamed outside amongst hundred of spent cigarette ends but other than cleaners could not find a member of staff.
I understand that hotels are businesses and do not have crystal balls, BUT what I do object to is that if the Hilton wants to court large, rowdy, black tie events that they can not adequately police where people drink or otherwise until breakfast, this is fine but they should not at the same time be getting in to bed with 'family break' type booking agents such as the one I used. This was certainly not family friendly or appropriate.
At breakfast the next day, I sat with my sons aged 9 and 10 as revellers from the night before began to roll in and had to admonish one ex footballer who walked passed my sons bellowing the F word down their ears as he passed and bragging about his previous nights exploits. Offended wasn't the word.
Tried to check out and again register my frustration at the desk but due to impossible queues had to use express checkout instead.
From what was an excellent price for an excellent hotel, I was left staring down the barrel of 8 hours at a theme park and 150 mile drive home on precisely no sleep and specifically booked an hotel with a pool that I never got to use.
Terrible.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Shaun B
Aimee A, Manager at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Shaun B

Thank you for posting a review on the hotel. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations on this occasion and it is very regrettable that we did not have the opportunity to speak with you before you left us.

As thoughts and experiences from our guests are very much appreciated and are used to rectify any shortfalls highlighted to us, your time permitting, would you kindly contact me on either, aimee.louiseash@hilton.com or on 0118 916 9004, so that I can further investigate your comments. I would like to reassure you, such issues are not at all indicative of the high service standards we usually demonstrate and I would offer our unreserved apologies.

I was however delighted to read that despite the above, you found the hotel to be spotless and that you enjoyed your Hilton Breakfast.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Reading, and I do hope to hear from you soon.