“Is this really Crowne Plaza?”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Is this really Crowne Plaza?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

I was looking forward to stay at this hotel, as I stayed in Crowne Plaza hotels(not this one) before.
Perfect sorround nad Crowne Plaza.
I was shocked when I visit my bathroom for first time. The floor looked like it was cleaned after a very long time.
Unfortunately my enthusiasm from great surround went off after I looked from my window.
How Is possible then in a 4* hotel (and for that amount of money) a guest can get a room with a view on a hotels garbage and A/C system???
The worst came on next day breakfast. I wanted to eat a ham, unfortunately the ham was rotten.
Is this really normal for 4* CP Hotel? I don't think so.
Next day the same, even when day before manager was told about this problem, he did obviously nothing about that; rotten ham. That was last time a visited the restaurant during my stay.
The A/C is very noisy.

The gym & spa were perfect, but it would be better if gym personal would not reset clients locker password.
I loved the "Good Night" spray.

My recomendation: If you want stomach problems or have a like garbage this is the right hotel for you.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank M G
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 22 July 2012
I was very sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay, we are currently working very hard to improve standards and the breakfast has a new look since your visit.

If you were to be in the area again please let me know and I would be happy to personally ensure your stay was a more pleasant one

Daniel Loosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Have just returned from two very enjoyable nights at this hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly, the swimming pool excellent and kept at just the right temperature, the location right beside the Thames allowed us to enjoy a walk along the river bank. The room was quite small but clean and the bed was comfortable. The restaurant was a little expensive but we enjoyed dinner and breakfast on the first night. Unfortunately we had to dine elsewhere on the second night as we were joined by other family members including two young chidren aged 2 and 4. We felt that the main menu was unsuitable for young children and there was no children's menu. We plan another visit to this excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review of The Crowne Plaza Reading, it is always a pleasure to get such nice feedback about the hotel.

I do hope we can welcome you back to Reading soon

Regards and thanks

Fareham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

What a terrible hotel for a four star! Our room had water stains on the wall - not a small amount either, there was cigarette ash on the window sill where the previous occupant had smoked and the bathroom door didn't shut. Absolutely awful and certainly not a hotel that I would go back to. When we booked in the receptionist didn't tell us that we needed our room card to use the lift - or that it needed putting in the slot to make the lights work. They also didn't bother telling us how to access the locked car park. All in all - crap. I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mamph68
Daniel L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay and the room was not up to standard, I have now put this room out of order and the issues mentioned will be fixed before we re-let it.
Also I have taken on board your comments regarding the reception staff and have spoken to them regarding the instructions for the lift and car park barrier as it can be very frustrating.

I see that you did not want to come back to the hotel, but if you change your mind please let me know and I will ensure you have a very different experience!

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed here with Mrs Mightyshepherd as we had a wedding to go to nearby. Admittedly we didn't show up till 1am (so we were mighty glad our room was still available) but having booked a double, we were surprised to have two single beds, each made up with single bedding and pushed together.

The walls are thin at the Crowne Plaza and Mrs Mightyshepherd was woken up / entertained by the sounds of the couple next door having a 'special moment'. Surely in a modern building they could have worked in some kind of soundproofing?

The breakfast lounge had spectacular views but breakfast was not great. Some hotels give the impression that they are instilled with a spirit of generosity, others seem to offer the bare minimum. The Crowne Plaza was the latter. Maybe my expectations were high, but I wanted to be shown to a table and offered coffee. Neither of these happened. Nothing on the breakfast buffet looked fresh and friends of ours joked that no one has ever eaten the potatoes and every morning the same ones are put back out again.

On the plus side, the room was very dark so once the lovemaking next door stopped, we had a bit of a lie in.

Premier Inn rooms are cheaper and this felt inferior to Premier Inn standard and service for considerably more money. We're big fans of PI's but wanted something that felt more special - sadly the Crowne Plaza Reading didn't deliver it.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of the hotel, I am sorry that your stay was not completely to your satisfaction and I have taken on board your constructive comments.

We are constantly trying to improve and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future!

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here on business - this is a nice property, allowed me to work and rest efficiently. Fairly consistent quality of a Crown Plaza in Europe - well maintained, nice rooms fronting the river if you can get them, reasonable fitness center. Not sure I'd go out of the way for the food but there are pubs and restaurants within walking distance. Heating/cooling system functional but took a long time to respond. A little too far from the rail station to walk, but a short ride most hours.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms fronting the main road - ask for courtyard or river facing
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel and I am glad your stay met your expectations, and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

It would be great if you could try our new menu and let us know what you think rather than venturing out of the hotel

Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed here a couple of times whilst visiting family. Rooms excellent and breakfast in the Club Lounge is very good.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Peter S
, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
I was glad to see you had a nice stay at The Crowne Plaza Reading and in particular you enjoyed our club lounge!

We have recently upgraded our offering in the lounge and it is great value for money and it is good to see you liked it!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

Ilminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed just the one night but had lovely room with balcony overlooking river - breakfast was in private room and was brilliant as it was free - easy walk into town and to the train station

Room Tip: Ask for one with balcony overlooking river
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Crowne Plaza Reading, it is always nice to get good feedback about the hotel and the great service you had.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Reading soon!