“Cosy & friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Reading
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Cosy & friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I have stayed here a number of times on business and so far they have got it right every time - it's in a fairly good location within walking distance of a few restaurants, with some car parking right outside and more parking just across a quiet side road. Reception are very efficient and friendly, and have been very helpful when I had to request a copy invoice several weeks after I'd stayed.
The rooms are very pleasant, with a decent selection of TV channels and the bathrooms are spotlessly clean with fluffy white towels. There are usually spare towels too - a nice touch.
The beds are great, with a choice of soft/firm pillows, and a little kit with aromatherapy spray to help you sleep which I think is marvellous.
Breakfast is great too - a lovely greeting from the staff, and a selection of everything you'd expect. Really good choice of juices/smoothies and most days 'infused' water - that is to say, ice cold water with mint or lime floating in it. Very refreshing!

OK now to the little gripes - there is constant piano music tinkling away in reception. It's supposed to make you think they have a live pianist, but actually it's a recording coming from underneath the piano. I'd be OK with this, but whoever was playing - they're rubbish. Lots of mistakes which really grate on the ear! Most of the time it just sounds like random keyboard faff.
Second gripe - the room service menu is very limited, and a number of times I've had to phone reception to place an order as nobody bothers to answer the phone in the restaurant. Very frustrating and a real shame. The food itself is usually delicious and delivered rapidly (once you manage to get your order in!!) and the one time they made a mistake it was rectified very quickly which was great.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
I was really glad to see that you had a good stay at the hotel and regularly stay with us!

The piano can get a bit annoying but we have updated the tracks, we have some guests that love the novelty of it and some that prefer a bit of piece and quite! We try and balance it and now don't have it on all the time!

I will look into the room service issue and see why the phone isn't getting answered promptly as it should divert to reception if it is not picked up and they can take the order, we are changing the menu in April with a new Summer menu so let us know what you think!

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel

Daniel Loosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

my boyfriend and I have stayed at the this hotel and we really enjoyed our weekend, the room was nice and clean, it was a nice size with, my boyfriend loved it, we will visit again. the service was excellent.
dora

Room Tip: we stayed in room 161 the bed was brilliant the first floor is very quiet, very quiet A/C.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Dora,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review on The Crowne Plaza Reading it is always lovely to get such reviews and I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future

Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I have just checked in and received a room that is like an ice box. Changed rooms and this one is little better. I've contacted reception and e-mailed the General Manager but despite the hotel being supposedly 'Full' yet the lounge and bar are actually empty the response has been none existent.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank AJSGILLAM
I was sorry that you found your room cold and that the response from myself and the hotel was not quick enough to resolve the issues in a timely manner.

We have since corresponded since your stay and I hope we have now gone some way to restore your faith and we look forward to welcoming you back!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

The hotel is located 0.7 miles to the train station and 1-1.5 miles to the center. The hotel staff was nice and friendly. The room had one king size bed, nice bathroom, a television, a fridge, a wardrobe, a table and a chair (must if you want to work). I believe there were enough television channels as there was always something to watch. The room was very clean and tidy, so no problem with that. The room was quite big in relation the hotels I stayed in London.

The breakfast was typical English breakfast, the cornflakes are ready for the customer as well as cheese, 2 types of eggs, bacon, and other stuff. The river side garden was actually really nice, but because of the weather the doors were closed.

The gym was not so big, there were couple of walking machines, elliptical machines, bicycles. Other than that there weren't enough exercise machines, during the rush hour, probably you will wait. The gym was quite small and you have wait for your turn to get some place to train.

To be able to get to the center, you need to get a taxi from the hotel, I think it is fix price which is 6 GBP.

If I visit reading again, I would re-visit the hotel as it was really clean and tidy.

Room Tip: I got room 101, it was near the elevator which is nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review on the hotel I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

Have stayed in Crowne Plaza several times over the last couple of years as it is very handy for my husband and I and normally have enjoyed the experience. The staff are very polite and helpful, the rooms are comfortable and very clean. Normally I have had a good night's sleep at the hotel until this last weekend. We stayed in room 103 and I desperately needed a good night's sleep. This was not to be, I was woken at 2.30 am in the morning with incredibly noisy cranking and chugging sound. I couldn't work out what it was at first, it then stopped and I was just going back to sleep when it started again. It was very erratic and quite frankly I gave up trying to sleep. When I mentioned it at reception in the morning I was told it was the air conditioning/heating system and they were aware of it and having it fixed. Thanked me for telling them but that was it! My lack of sleep really impaired the enjoyment of the purpose of my visit to the area and I must admit I feel very cheated by the situation. I will be very cautious staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 103
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Katie E
I was very sorry to learn that your nights sleep was disturbed, we did have a problem with the air conditioning in this room and it was resolved the following after you bought it to our attention, it was a fan that was catching and making the noise.

I do hope that you will stay with us again as you will know this is not our normal standard and the fact we have climate controlled rooms is a big benefit normally.

Next time you are planning to stay in the area please drop me a line and I will ensure a pleasent and hopefully restful stay for you.

dloosley@redefinehotels.com
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Good location and had an excellent room, with balcony overlooking the river. Priority club lounge provided good selection of canapés and drinks, which was just as well as we gave up at the bar, the 'bar man' could not pour a pint - he explained that it was his first day and he had been up since 5am. Hardly my problem. We gave up after 5 minutes of waiting and went to a nearby pub for a drink. My biggest gripe though was been woken up at 9:03am by 'housekeeping' seeing if the room was ready to clean. Totally unacceptable. And my Sunday lay in ruined. I felt as tired as the barman later in the day. Poor show for what is usually a good hotel chain.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Realtrueopinion
I was very sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations during your stay this time and please accept my apologies.

I was sorry that you were woken on a Sunday morning part of staying away at the weekend is the lie in and we should not be waking you with the housekeeping staff knocking on the door, I have spoken at length with the team and this will not re-occur as we have put a new system in place, next time you stay just to make absolutely sure you are not disturbed all rooms have a do not disturb hanger just pop it out and you can rest easy!

We take staff training very seriously and I am sorry that a trainee served you in the bar and he was unsure of what to do this is not our normal standard.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review the hotel

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

This hotel is not too far from station or shops , although may need to take taxi if loaded down. Close to a roundabout but once inside its lovely. Quiet and calm Breakfast and bar area lead out onto the river.
Staff very helpful and prompt service.
Would like to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for writing such a nice review on the hotel we are delighted that you found the hotel to your liking and we look forward to seeing you back at The Crowne Plaza Reading in the near future