“Good stay”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Reading
“Good stay”
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

At the Crowned Plaza again last week. There pretty much every month with work.

Another good stay. As always, Sebastian in the conferencing team looked after us all very well. Coffees, good wifi and lunch all good.

The hotel has good views over the Thames, quiet plus easy to get to other restaurants in Caversham.

Back again in two weeks......

(I just wish the hotel would put back the little "help you sleep lotions" in the rooms! They always help me sleep better in hotels)

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Daniel Loosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I booked and arranged this venue for a 50th Birthday party for my big sis and it was a fantastic venue. Well located, great car parking, fantastic facilities and friendly helpful staff who really made the difference. In particular Beata and Sebastian were really accomodating to make sure the night was successful and the bedrooms were fantastic - I would certainly recommend this venue to anyone without hestitation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
I was so glad that you enjoyed the party held here at The Crowne Plaza Reading it was great to hear that we looked after you and everyone had a great time, we look forward to seeing back next time you have something to celebrate!

West Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Stayed here because visiting clients in Reading and some of the clients were also staying here. It's basically a great hotel- nice inside with nice restaurant and bar area, friendly staff, good check in, decent rooms, nice decor, good breakfast and very good health club. The only downsides are it is a ten minute walk from the centre and my room only had a standard double bed- that would be too small for me if I was with my wife but was fine for me on my own,

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thanks you so much for taking the time to write a review of The Crowne Plaza Reading I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and we hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future!

Regards and best wishes

Reading
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Firstly I live in Reading about 2 miles away from the hotel, which you may think odd, but it was a short stagger back from my 40th birthday party location and i wanted a treat.
This is a very friendly hotel, the reception staff were fantastic and efficient. The room was very spacious and the shower out of this world. Also thank you for my late check out I really needed it. Thanks to all the staff, who made our visit a memorable one.

Room Tip: 2nd floor better views of the river
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
It is so nice that a local has taken the time to write a review and I was delighted that your stay turned out to be a treat!

I will pass on your thanks to the staff as requested and I am sure they will be as delighted as me that you enjoyed your stay so much!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we look forward to your next visit to The Crowne Plaza Reading and there is no excuse being so close!

Wiltshire
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I booked this Hotel as wanted a relaxing weekend away and to be close to Reading City centre which was only a 10/15min walk away. Our room was amazing as we stayed in the Executive suite room which over looked the Thames and had everything in the room that you needed including our own dressing gowns!!. The food in the evening was average, however the pudding was really nice and the breakfast was good in the morning. Had a very good night sleep in the bed as it was very comfortable. The swimming pool was lovely and warm and the Sauna & steam room was great felt totally relaxed after. The staff were very friendly upon check in especially 'Mark' who was very helpful and which made our stay very memorable. Would definitely stay again, was a lovely clean Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time out to write such a positive review of The Crowne Plaza Reading it is always a pleasure to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay!

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future when hopefully the weather will be a bit warmer and you can enjoy our outside space by The Thames!

Thanks again

Northern England
Reviewed 19 March 2013

This hotel is ideally located because it's accessible without getting caught up in Reading town centre traffic. It has secure parking, and the hotel is around 15 mins. walk from the station or 20 mins. to where everything is. We've stayed here three times, with Platinum status. We've always been given an exec room, once with river view, twice with club access, and once with a complementary massage (this was several years ago). The exec rooms are not big, but we have always had a good night's sleep, which is the main point for us. The TVs have recently been upgraded to larger screens (32"?) and the towels and linens were very good quality. Breakfast was well cooked, but rather dull in its offerings. The only bread available is sliced for toasting; there were no bread rolls, but the usual croissants and two pastries were available as were very large (i.e. very high in calories and fat) muffins. Cereal in boxes, thank goodness! This is fine for a short stay, as ours tend to be. All in all, a good example of the Crowne Plaza brand, although I was rather put out on the occasion that I wasn't given discretionary use of the club lounge (even though I don't really use it for the free drinks and canapes, I just like to know I can).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel I was pleased to learn that you enjoy your stays with us and in particular the location and facilities of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I have stayed here a number of times on business and so far they have got it right every time - it's in a fairly good location within walking distance of a few restaurants, with some car parking right outside and more parking just across a quiet side road. Reception are very efficient and friendly, and have been very helpful when I had to request a copy invoice several weeks after I'd stayed.
The rooms are very pleasant, with a decent selection of TV channels and the bathrooms are spotlessly clean with fluffy white towels. There are usually spare towels too - a nice touch.
The beds are great, with a choice of soft/firm pillows, and a little kit with aromatherapy spray to help you sleep which I think is marvellous.
Breakfast is great too - a lovely greeting from the staff, and a selection of everything you'd expect. Really good choice of juices/smoothies and most days 'infused' water - that is to say, ice cold water with mint or lime floating in it. Very refreshing!

OK now to the little gripes - there is constant piano music tinkling away in reception. It's supposed to make you think they have a live pianist, but actually it's a recording coming from underneath the piano. I'd be OK with this, but whoever was playing - they're rubbish. Lots of mistakes which really grate on the ear! Most of the time it just sounds like random keyboard faff.
Second gripe - the room service menu is very limited, and a number of times I've had to phone reception to place an order as nobody bothers to answer the phone in the restaurant. Very frustrating and a real shame. The food itself is usually delicious and delivered rapidly (once you manage to get your order in!!) and the one time they made a mistake it was rectified very quickly which was great.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
I was really glad to see that you had a good stay at the hotel and regularly stay with us!

The piano can get a bit annoying but we have updated the tracks, we have some guests that love the novelty of it and some that prefer a bit of piece and quite! We try and balance it and now don't have it on all the time!

I will look into the room service issue and see why the phone isn't getting answered promptly as it should divert to reception if it is not picked up and they can take the order, we are changing the menu in April with a new Summer menu so let us know what you think!

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel