“Good comfortable business hotel”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Reading
London
“Good comfortable business hotel”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Good location, a short cab ride from the heart of the town centre but far enough away to benefit from free parking facilities and a lovely river view. I booked a club room but unfortunately had to ask some time later where the club facilities were. I also had a room with very noisy air conditioning, but was swiftly moved to another room when I complained.
Lovely swimming pool but the changing rooms could do with a bit of TLC. The waiting staff both in the evening and morning were extremely helpful and friendly, and as a woman travelling on my own, I did appreciate that.

Room Tip: It is worth paying slightly more to get a river view
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel and I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the staff looked after you!

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future?

Daniel Loosley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Ruislip
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My Daughter and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza 5th - 7th April with a group of friends. Having read the reviews we were quite exited at the prospect of staying. My Daughter and myself booked a twin room, we were however given a double, even though it was a lovely room with a Balcony and beautiful view it was not what we booked. When I called Reception they told us there were no twins available so offered us a family room with a double bed and a sofa bed. We thought this was ok so took it without testing the sofabed ......big mistake, it was hard and uncomfortable and my Daughter woke up with a bad backache (there was also no room to move around in there with the sofabed made up). When we looked at the underneath of the sofabed it was a thin matress on wood (no springs). So went back to Reception in the morning and finally got our twin - 3rd time lucky.
I have to say the Staff were lovely - the Receptionist was filing her nails at one point when we approached - not so good but all the Staff were friendly and helpful. The towels were out of this world and the Hotel was spotless. Anyway so to Breakfast on Sunday morning - my Daughter was in the process of eating a slice of toast and found a spot of mould on the crust, we pointed this out to the waiter who was clearly very embrassed. I suggested that instead of apologising to us he go and check the rest of the bread before another guest took a piece.
I was a bit dissapointed with our stay to say the least and am hoping that the problems we had are not encountered on a regular basis by other guests.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jackie950
I was very sorry to hear that you were a bit disappointed with your stay, your experience is certainly not typical of one here at the hotel and please accept my apologies.

I hope that you will give us another try and if you do please contact me so I can ensure a perfect stay for you.

Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel for a total of 10 nights whilst working in Reading. The hotel was very clean and the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. Great facilities with the swimming pool, steam room etc. The management went out of their way to accomodate a large party of workers(approx 50) for up to 10 days, which meant special menus and catering arrangements to allow for shiftwork.
Excellent all round hotel within easy distance of local rail and bus services at Reading. My room had a nice view of the Thames.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view at the rear overlooking the Thames
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
It was certainly an interesting few days for the hotel as we had a lot of your colleagues staying with us working on the Reading Railway Station project over Easter, I was really glad you enjoyed your stay as the team put in a big effort to accommodate different working patterns and meal times etc!

I must say that the new Station at Reading is looking fabulous to a thank you back to you for the hard work you put in!

Norfolk
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Faultless Reception, Waiting and Chamber staff, very professional, friendly and attentive. Room, Parking was excellent. Location excellent, right on banks of Thames. Breakfast very good choice. Eggs, bacon, mushrooms good. Sausages, hash browns so, so, croissants a bit dry. Very comfortable dining area. Had Cottage Pie which was expensive @ £14.95 and could have been warmer but very tasty, vegetables very good. No time for Spa. As will all hotels bar expensive and the TV in Room had rubbish interface and poor channel choice (but wasn't staying to watch tele). A very good experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you were well looked after by the team.

I was sorry the cottage pie was not quite warm enough, this is as you say a very tasty homemade dish so I hope it did not spoil your meal too much!

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Booked into this hotel with my wife on Sat. 6th April 2013 for I night, in a standard room. On entering the room, it had a distinct smell of smoking having taken place. I immediately phoned reception & explained & that we would like another room. No problem, I was told, & to return to reception where it would be sorted. Sorted it was!!
I was asked if we would like another standard room or would we prefer an executive room with balcony overlooking the Thames!!
Naturally we chose the latter!
What an excellent view we had on the balcony & since the sun was shining, we stayed in the room longer than we had intended watching the boats from the balcony!
Thank you Crowne Plaza!
Dennis C. Cardiff

Room Tip: The room with the smell 118 & the room with the superb view 212 & I believe that this was po...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the sun shone which is a first this year!

The hotel is 100% non-smoking however we do get the odd guest who disregards this and it takes awhile for the room to air, I was pleased your issue was sorted out swiftly and you were able to enjoy your stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Regards and best wishes

Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

At the Crowned Plaza again last week. There pretty much every month with work.

Another good stay. As always, Sebastian in the conferencing team looked after us all very well. Coffees, good wifi and lunch all good.

The hotel has good views over the Thames, quiet plus easy to get to other restaurants in Caversham.

Back again in two weeks......

(I just wish the hotel would put back the little "help you sleep lotions" in the rooms! They always help me sleep better in hotels)

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I booked and arranged this venue for a 50th Birthday party for my big sis and it was a fantastic venue. Well located, great car parking, fantastic facilities and friendly helpful staff who really made the difference. In particular Beata and Sebastian were really accomodating to make sure the night was successful and the bedrooms were fantastic - I would certainly recommend this venue to anyone without hestitation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
I was so glad that you enjoyed the party held here at The Crowne Plaza Reading it was great to hear that we looked after you and everyone had a great time, we look forward to seeing back next time you have something to celebrate!