“Great family weekend spa break”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Booked through spa breaks.com for my mums 70th birthday and had a amazing time. We were a party of ten - seven adults and three children (aged 2, 4 & 8). And the hotel catered for all our needs (kids pool time, great location with nearby play ground). Beautiful hotel with great food and excellent customer service and our main waiter Thomas was a star. Would throughly recommend it for all occasions. My mum had a great time and wants to come back for Christmas and every birthday. So impressed as was a star deal to via spa breaks.com.

• Stayed: November 2013
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

I was really pleased you and your family had such a lovely time at The Crowne Plaza Reading and enjoyed all of our facilities!

Thomas is a great asset to the hotel and I will pass on your comments I am sure he will be delighted to learn you enjoyed his service so much!

We look forward to seeing you again soon and remember you will always get the best price by booking direct at www.cp-reading.co.uk

Thanks again and regards

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed here as it was a shopping weekend with my bridesmaids. We had a family and double booked. On arrival the reception staff were very friendly and helpful, I was early arriving so my bags were kept safe until my return. One room was upgraded for free thanks to the reception manager including a lovely bottle of wine and fruit, and the family room was small but fine for what we need it for. We enjoyed use of the pool and spa again friendly helpful staff and had drinks and an evening meal. The food was lovely and passed the fussy teenager test!! and the restaurant and bar staff are attentive and friendly. I stay in a lot of hotels, and I have to say the staff here are some of the most friendly and helpful I have had the pleasure of dealing with. Only a 10 minute walk to the shops so ideal for a weekend away. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Executive rooms have balconies over looking the Thames, nice to sit out in the morning with a coffee
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thanks so much for writing such a lovely review of The Crowne Plaza Reading I was delighted to learn that you were so well looked after and had a great time!

Best of the luck with the wedding and we hope to see you again soon!

Regards and thanks again

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed just 1 night and was very impressed till I reached my room. Check in was great with helpful enthusiastic and friendly staff. Lobby is impressive with outlook from lounge and bar of the Thames. Parking was plentiful and easy.

The reception area and corridors were clearly recently renovated.

But the room....oh dear.....advertised as family room for 2 adults and 2 kids........not sure who thinks this is possible in this room, but you could not swing a soft toy. 1 double bed and a sofa bed but just who they thought would sleep in this I could not tell. Very fortunately my wife could not make it at very last minute so I slept in sofa bed and gave kids the double. It was an awful night!

There was tea coffee and hot chocolate, 1 small bottle of water for 4! And a tiny bathroom. My room was very tired and showing signs of heavy wear....not nice at all.

The pool and facilities were great and in half term kids were restricted to certain times but it was fine and everyone rubbed along well, though there were complaints from some couples about kids in the pool. Not sure what they expected in a family hotel in half term.

Food was fine without being outstanding.

For a couple it would be fine but if kids are more than toddlers think about somewhere else, or perhaps 2 room but that is pricey.

Try to get room facing Thames and not the permanently busy road and roundabout.

Room Tip: Get a room away from road
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Binman62,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. Please allow us to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience you may have encountered that fell below your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 31 October 2013

but he or she is to be congratulated: great team, great service.

So I arrive an hour late on a dark October evening, fed up after a long journey. Super-fast check-in. Unfortunately I've lots of valuable stuff in the car because I'm doing a presentation and the car park is a bit of a walk - so the people on the front desk help me in with it.

Room impeccable, with a view over the Thames. Perfect soft bed, little aromatherapy sleep kit. This place is better than home!

At 7am I realise I've forgotten my razor; at 7.02 a receptionist arrives with a (free) mini razor and toothbrush set. By the time I'm downstairs they are ready to help me back into my car with all my gear.

Impossible to see how this could have been done better, and the price was very modest. Very efficiently run - but not by frightening the staff. I congratulate you all round.

By the way - extremely nice little restaurant called Myalacarte a five minute walk away.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Well thank you very much, what a lovely review and myself and the team here are delighted that everything worked out so well for you and you enjoyed your stay here at The Crowne Plaza Reading.

It is always so nice to get a 5 star review and it was very kind of you to take the time to review the hotel, I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We booked a weekend on Spa breaks for this hotel and were looking forward to a nice relaxing break. We booked some treatments and envisaged hanging out by the pool and spa/sauna/steam area. The pool had chidrens' swimming lessons for hours on end and the noise was unbelievable. I had to leave it was so bad. As well the massage therapist left the room for 15 MINUTES for me to get undressed and the same for my husband(twice) so that the hour massage ended up being about 40 minutes. As well we both came home from the weekend with a tummy bug.
So I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you are going for the spa or the food. We complained to the manager about the noise from the swimming lessons in the spa area but he wasn't interested at all.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thejohnnyyoung

I was most disappointed and shocked to learn that you had such a bad experience at the hotel it really isn't our normal standard and I will certainly investigate the issues you raised.

We are very strict on pool times and have long periods of time where we do not allow under 16's in the pool, and lessons take place only mid-week for a total of 4 hours, so I was a bit confused by this comment.

I would ask that you contact me if you have any queries re your upset tummies as you can imagine this is a very serious allegation and we would be very interested to see any Doctor's report that show food as the cause or if it was an airborne virus, this would be interesting to know.

If I can be of any further help then as I say let me know, but please accept my apologies.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We have stayed at the CP Reading on a number of occasions as a couple, but decided to bring Mum away for 5 days as it is good place to stay in a ideal position for visiting National Trust Properties.

We had a Suite and an executive room overlooking the Thames, we are Platinum Elite Ambassador Members of the IHG group and the staff looked after us with an upgrade - which Mum loved and also on her birthday the Team had arranged for a Birthday cake and a bottle of bubbly for her - Thanks to Ashish for this, he is the Operations Manager( a very good professional Manager who really is customer focused and also looks after his staff).

Nothing was to much trouble for them.

Roxie, the Head receptionist and also Duty Manager is a real star.

You wouldn't think of Reading as being an ideal leisure venue but the CP Reading on the Thames is a fantastic place to stay for both Business and Leisure.

The Club Lounge is a nice place to relax and enjoy the Complimentary nibbles and drinks in the Evening, Breakfast is more than adequate and staff attentive. Pool was closed on our arrival, but opened the next day.

Our sixth stay and definitely not the last.

Ashish - you are doing a fantastic job. Keep up the good work.

Darren & Malcolm

Room Tip: Ask for a Balcony room overlooking the Thames. Exec rooms are worth the supplement.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Darren and Malcolm,

I was so pleased that you and your mum had such a nice stay at the hotel, I know Ashish went out of his way to make sure everything was just right and I am delighted to learn everything went so well and you mum in particular had a great time!

We of course hope that you will return to The Crowne Plaza Reading again in the near future!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Ended up at the Reading CP (on IHG points), as all the other CP options were booked up for the half term weekend, so took a punt on this. On approaching, was a bit anxious at all the busy roads surrounding, but actually it is in a really nice location right on the river, with great views and walks.

This is not the most swanky CP, having stayed in many of them around the world, but the staff were very welcoming and efficient. The family room we were assigned was not to our satisfaction and full credit to them that without any fuss they changed our room to a much better one that we were really pleased with.

The best things about this hotel were:
- riverside location
- good staff and service
- excellent pool and leisure facilities
- good club lounge
- lots of great nearby places to eat in Caversham 10 minutes away (hotel restaurant looked fine too)
- good parking
- Reading has some hidden highlights tucked away among the brick and roundabouts!

Where it could improve
- felt quite hot throughout the hotel (although some people might like this)
- rooms are quite small - but fine (not much hotel can do about that)

Overall, a pretty good option if you are in the area and the leisure centre is very good.

Room Tip: Go for the riverside options
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a balanced and detailed review of the hotel, it was very kind of you to take the time to do so.

I was very glad you enjoyed your stay and I really hope we can welcome you back in the near future.