“Well appointed and good service”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here for one night before a business meeting in London. The hotel was in a lovely spot, right by the river with a great open restaurant with a terrace. The Thames view was perfect for our stay as the weather was good. Imagine in the summer months it would be overtaken somewhat with Mosquitos but still a bit too cold for them now.
Room was as expected, spacious and well equipped. Hair dryer have up when it got hot, but managed to dry my hair enough. Bed was comfy and room was clean. Again, as many other comments it was equipped for one guest, one water, one robe etc...how difficult can it be to inform the housekeeping staff that two people are arriving on each day??
The bathroom was very small for a Crown Plaza, so a bit disappointing. Mentioned this at reception at check out and was informed it was the minimum requirement as used to be a holiday inn, so was rebranded with old small bathrooms.
Was advised to book an executive suite next time which have larger bathrooms and terrace...well, I'm sure they do, but some budgets don't stretch that far!
We ate in the restaurant that evening, lovely light and airy restaurant with views of the river. Menu was limited, but have to say reasonably priced for a Crown Plaza...although wines were not cheap (they never are). Food was good, nothing spectacular, but I ate it all so can't complain too much. My husband had the homemade house burger, which was nice, but highly spiced with oregano and coriander, so if you were expecting a plain burger (which he was) can be disappointing.
Coffee in the lounge was good too, and again reasonably priced.
Slept well, nice and quiet and was woken by the ducks and swans...
Breakfast was ok! The hot selection was good, bacon, sausage, hash browns, mushrooms, beans, eggs fried, scrambled and boiled, tomatoes...something for everyone.
The cold continental selection wasn't anything special though. The fruit was tasteless? The hams were all on the same plate, so if you didn't like salami, it all tasted the same. There was only one cheese and no bread rolls.
The real disappointment was the fruit juices. I had apple, was very insipid and tasted watered. My husband had orange and again, tasteless.
We had both preferred a holiday inn breakfast, this was disappointing for what we would have expected from a Crown Plaza. Most of the hot selection was cold and had obviously been there for a while. The bacon was dry.
Overall, good hotel, service was excellent all staff were friendly and very helpful. Free wifi and free car parking were great.
We will be back, and will try for an upgrade to exec suite.

Room Tip: Small bathrooms in standard rooms. Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thanks for your review about the Hotel, as I can see from your comments that overall the service was excellent and staff were friendly and helpful.
We want to thank you for your business and for bringing your concerns to our attention; I learn from your constructive feedback that the areas of your concern is something that could be quickly resolved, hence I have shared your comments with the relevant departments and a future visit to our Hotel will reflect our commitment to greater customer satisfaction.
The summer months are absolutely beautiful and our terrace restaurant and balcony rooms in the summer are worthwhile to unwind with the scenic views of River Thames. Fortunately, we have not come across any mosquitos even in the hottest days and months and the credit goes to the staff members who keep the hotel and surroundings impeccably clean!

Operations Manager at Crowne Plaza Reading

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed here on Friday night, in an Executive room after spending the evening at a Ball. Whilst I arrived late, I was swiftly checked in by the attentive and friendly night-staff before retiring to a comfortable room with a beautiful view over the Thames. I had a great nights sleep, in a very tidy and immaculate room! I must say the highlight of my stay was in the morning, as the breakfast buffet was delicious (and plentiful!) and the Duty Manager + staff were very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and writing such a positive review, it’s great to see that you highly recommend our Hotel.
“The swiftness at check in by the attentive staff, comfortable room with a beautiful view, followed by a great night’s sleep and a delicious breakfast”, is all that matters to make an unforgettable stay and that’s we aim for!
I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Booked a standard twin room at a reduced rate several days before the weekend for myself and a friend. My previous experience of twin rooms led me to not expect much, but the room was very good! Yes, it was compact, but in a well designed way. There was an iron & an ironing board in the wardrobe and a safe. The hairdryer they provide was a decent one and was cleverly concealed in the desk/dressing table. The bathroom had a bath and a good shower. The bed was comfortable.
They had left one small complimentary bottle of water and one dressing gown so I guess they assumed single occupancy. I'm sure I could've done something about this by phoning housekeeping. The minibar was empty and switched off. However, ice was available on our floor.
I regret not paying the £15 for breakfast (for 2) at the time of booking. We went across the road to the Gorge cafe instead but it was too fatty for me.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and writing such a positive review, it’s great to see that you thoroughly recommend our Hotel.
Our breakfast buffet serves plenty healthy energy to keep you going for the entire day. I am sure the next time you stay with us; you will certainly have your breakfast at the Crowne Plaza Reading.

Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend, whilst visiting my son. The hotel is large and comfortable, staff very pleasant. Let us have a late check out. The pool area is nice, sauna, and steam room and Jacuzzi all in working order. small gym, but good equipment. The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good with a selection of the usual fruit salad and yoghurts. Nice to have proper scrambled eggs , not the powder variety and nice to see fried eggs all beautifully cooked. The back of the hotel is a delight, swans on the river Thames and a rowers going up and down. You can even catch boat ride up the Thames . You can walk some of the way into town along the Thames too, very pleasant, takes about 20mins to get into town. Reading is very congested so it would be quicker to walk than get a taxi. The hotel has a secure safe car park too. I would definatly stay here again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the Thames
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest
“We want to thank you for your business and choosing Crowne Plaza Reading as your preferred Hotel”, thanks also for recognising the product and service that we offer.
As I can see from your comments, that you explored the venue and made the most of the surroundings, especially the scenic River Thames.
So, another visit from you this summer will even be more delightful, as your Terrace Restaurant will be fully functional- this is where you can enjoy your snacks and drinks with the views of river Thames.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I arrived late and was upgraded to room 212 with a great view over the river and very large balcony area.

The hotel has free parking and WIFI and my room had a nespresso coffee machine, water, a good set of amenities and comfortable bed.

Breakfast was OK - the quality was not great but plentiful. Coffee could be better.

I was also given access to the Club Lounge with my upgrade and by being a priority club member I had an automatic late check out at 2.00 pm, which was perfect for a late arrival and weekend!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and writing such a positive review, I am pleased to see that the team recognised you as an IHG Reward Member.
Happy to hear that you liked our product, the river view from your room and the bed was comfortable.
We will endeavour to implement the suggestions regarding the quality of Breakfast and coffee, for sure this is something that could be quickly resolved.
I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Wonderful view of the Thames from our balcony. A tranquil haven in a busy town. Excellent room, spacious comfy bed, good and varied supply of toiletries also a very good variety of teas, coffee, chocolate. Very good breakfast to round off our stay. Many thanks to your helpful staff.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
As I can see from your comments, that your stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading was truly flawless, supported by the helpfulness of staff, quality of room, breakfast, amenities and a comfy bed!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and writing such a positive review.
I am confident that a future visit to our Hotel will reflect “our continuous commitment to customer satisfaction.”
Crowne Plaza Reading

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We booked in that hotel because we already booked a while ago in the Crowne Plaza St James hotel in London, and we had been stunned. This time was different.
The surrounding of the hotel are very nice, with the Thames river just in front of the hotel. We booked an executive room, but it was a bit smaller than expected. Anyway, the room was very clean, and the bed was comfortable.
We were disappointed, though, because there was only one bottle of water in the bedroom (we were 2 guests). Also, no sleep aromatherapy kit, which we had to ask for. The bathroom was a bit small, too, and the shower really not convenient: it was fastened so that we couldn't use the whole hose.
We used the swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna, and we must say they're amazing: modern, clean, and huge.
The breakfast in the club lounge was included in the price, but we decided to go out on the second day because the breakfast was awful: fruits not tasty, no eggs, no bacon, not a wide variety of choice. Fortunately we found an excellent lounge not far from the hotel.
And to finish with the disappointing things, there were some very noisy (bangs on the walls) works on the windows outside in the last morning, no way to rest before going.
So in the end, it was a nice hotel in nice surroundings, but spoiled with a lot of small things that made our stay disappointing. Don't think we'll ever book in a Crowne Plaza again outside of London.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank casimir200

Dear Guest
Thanks for bringing your concerns to our attention. You deserved better –from us last week and sorry we let you down. Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to once again welcome you back to our Hotel.
I have shared your concerns with the relevant departments. The club Lounge serves Continental Breakfast only and cooked breakfast is available at our main Restaurant, the bottled water is served with the compliments of the Hotel. We are currently upgrading few of our facilities in the Hotel, so the noise must have been when our contractors were trying to replace the window fittings in one of our rooms.
Accept my sincere apologies, as I feel that we could have explained most of the above, at the time of check in and during your stay.
We certainly do not wish to lose you as a valued customer. I am confident that a future visit to the Hotel will reflect "that we care".