“Faultless ”

Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Lancashire
“Faultless ”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Genuinely can't say a bad word, lovely location at the side of river with a fabulous terrace.
Very pleasant staff and an impressive reception / hallway.
Free secure parking, prompt check in, very nice room with a huge bed. Rooms are equipped with TV, hair dryer and ironing board neatly hidden in wardrobe. Mini bar also available along with tea making facilities. Luxurious towels and robe included.
Only 10 min walk to centre for shopping and night life etc. train station currently undergoing massive expansion and refit but great connections to London.
Full gym, pool and spa facilities. Excellent breakfast served in the morning (all u can eat).
Recommended.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear ash-uk69
What a lovely review!
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and writing such a positive review, great to see that you thoroughly recommend our Hotel.
Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and your comments truly echoes this, the team here at the Crowne Plaza Reading are thrilled to read your comments.
Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights on business in April. The reception was friendly. My room was smaller than I thought but it was clean and very comfy. The breakfast was nothing special but overall it was good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mandy T
Thanks for such a positive review about the Hotel, pleased to hear that overall your stay was good and that the reception staff were friendly.
In regards to your constructive feedback, Thank you for sharing this with us, I have relayed your comments to the Chef. On your next visit, please speak to our Head Chef and he will be delighted to meet you and discuss the breakfast offerings. We also offer pancakes, waffles, smoked salmon, streaky bacon, porridge and many more dishes as a part of your breakfast buffet, these items are not displayed on the buffet but they are made to order.
I am confident that a future visit to our Hotel will reflect our commitment to greater customer satisfaction.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Paid for a deluxe room, glad I paid the extra to get a view of hotel windows and nothing else. The Hotel is right on the Thames and I had hoped to get a view, but no such luck.

I arrived at 12.30 and the room wasn't ready, when I finally got the key the room size and aspect were poor. The shower was average too and the lighting control so complex that we left one light on all night because we couldn't find the switch.

Down to breakfast, no napkins only cheap paper towels, coffee delivered to the table so late I had nearly finished and the tiniest plates you have ever seen made it difficult to get two slices of toast on one.

That said the staff were all very nice and it does make a difference.

Room Tip: Dont bother to pay for deluxe rooms they are far from deluxe
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Intcopiers
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest
Thanks for bringing your concerns to our attention. Sorry we let you down. I have shared your concerns with the relevant departments for further investigation .Our standard check in time is 2:00pm and where possible we accommodate early arrivals based on the availability of the rooms. I am sorry to learn that the Breakfast standards were not up to our usual standards on the day, I am certain that our Restaurant team will quickly resolve the outlined concerns.
We certainly do not wish to lose you as a valued customer. I am confident that a future visit to the Hotel will reflect "that we care".
I would also like to thank you for acknowledging that the staffs were all very nice and it does make a difference.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Where do I begin? Check-in, that's a good place.

I had pre-booked and prepaid for two Executive Club Rooms. Both on the hotel website, and in the rooms themselves, the blurb says "Discover stunning views by booking one of our Club rooms, conveniently located away from the main road and overlooking the River Thames." Our 'stunning' views overlooked the atrium. If I was ET and if the windows opened far enough, maybe I could have craned my neck and caught a sideways glimpse of the Thames. But I'm not, and didn't.

I returned to reception where some debate ensued as I was told that this was, infact, a river view. I was, quite frankly, aghast at the nonsense I was being told. The Duty Manager was called, and after some lengthy negotiations, I'm pleased to say we were given what we had actually paid for and what the hotel had entered into a contract to provide. Two Club rooms overlooking the Thames. And very nice the view was too, although the balconies were in need of cleaning and certainly could do with external lighting.

The bedrooms themselves were reasonable if somewhat small, king sized beds, although bizarrely one of them had a big uplight and foot stool and the other didn't. Overall the lighting in the rooms, especially the one without the uplight, was inadequate. The bathrooms were poor. Dim, especially as in ours of the two bulbs over the sink had blown - why don't housekeeping report this to maintenance rather than a guest having to do it? The bath/shower was of a standard I would expect at a Travelodge, totally unacceptable for a Crowne Plaza.

The Leisure Club is superb, the best I have used for a long time. Spotless, with excellent changing rooms, a wonderful pool, spa etc. Highly recommended. The Executive Lounge looks out over the roundabout, rather unappealing - why not use the same window designs as in the Leisure Club? The Lounge does what it says on the tin. We ordered some sandwiches and snacks there and these were of good quality. We took dinner in the Acqua Brasserie. Some of the food was good, some of it average. Throughout the service was exceptional, couldn't fault it in any way.

At various location across the hotel, we were treated to the IHG equivalent of Niagara Falls. The guttering is in a shocking state, don't know when any maintenance was last done on it. The owners of the hotel should be embarrassed at how they have let things get to such a state, especially as internally a good job is done.

As an IHG Platinum Elite member I asked for a delayed check out, Noon instead of 11am. This request was made at 7pm in the evening. The response was that Housekeeping had gone home and that I would be told in the morning. First of all I never got an answer, secondly, and bearing in mind the rooms we were saddled with initially, it is obvious that no attention is paid by the reception staff to the loyalty shown by supposedly valued customers. I am seriously annoyed at this complete failure by the hotel, I have never experienced it at any other IHG hotels across the whole range from HIE to Intercontinental.

So, to conclude - this place is a right mixed bag. It has the potential to be excellent, and in some aspects it is. But in others is bad and the Management should take a good, hard look at themselves. Overall, this was the poorest experience I have had at a Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Guest
Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to once again welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Reading. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to learn that in this event you feel we have fallen short of your expectations.
We want to thank you for your business and for bringing these concerns to our attention. We certainly do not wish to lose you as a valued IHG Platinum Member.

I have spoken to the respective departments and conveyed them your comments for further investigation, I can assure you that we have taken actions to rectify situation of your complaint. As mentioned rightly by you- the Hotel has the potential to be excellent and that’s what we thrive for, so I am confident that a future visit to our Hotel will reflect our commitment to customer satisfaction.
Please contact me directly and I will be happy to discuss this matter with you, so as to resolve this to your satisfaction.
I am pleased to hear that the Leisure club was spotless and service in the restaurant was exceptional.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed just one night on business. This hotel is everything you come to expect from Crowne Plaza. Superb spacious spotlessly clean bedrooms - I was fortunate to be allocated a room with balcony and tremendous view of the river. I was blown away by the Nespresso machine in the room!.

The restaurant and bar are tastefully decorated, the executive club lounge is well equipped with a pleasant relaxed atmosphere.

Staying in Reading? Stay at the Crowne Plaza you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: I was in 212 - fantastic views!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chestertripper
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and writing such a positive review, I am pleased to see that we gave you a “A Truly Perfect Crowne Plaza” experience.
Happy to hear that you liked our product, service, the facilities and the river view from your room, it is always a privilege to be recognised by our guest, particularly,when we deliver a seamless service and that’s we thrive for!

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Ipplepen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The outstanding memory of this one night leisure stay was the impeccable service, from management, reception and beverage staff. Well sited hotel for leisure guests being on the river a large free car park and if required an easy stroll from the railway station. Bedrooms and public area's - lounge,bar,restaurant etc., well maintained with a lovely terrace leading to the river bank, the only negative - bathrooms whilst clean are very small even the duty manager commented that they were the minimum IHG permits in their CP and HI establishments and this applies to all standard/executive rooms the only guest rooms with larger bathrooms are the executive suites! Food and hot drinks are exceptional value for any a CP/HI and dinner was of a very reasonable quality unfortunately although package breakfast was only £10 per room the offerings were indifferent especially the cold choice and the fruit juice was truly poor with little or no taste and a dubious quality. The hotel and location would be ideal for a summer leisure break over more than one night.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room and if budget is no problem an executive suite with large balcony - and go...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review and kind words following your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that the “outstanding memory of your one night stay was the impeccable service from the staff”.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest at the Crowne Plaza Reading; I have shared your concerns about the breakfast offerings in the Club Lounge with the Chef and the F&B manager and I assure you that the quality and offerings will be constantly monitored; we will also enhance our breakfast selection in the club lounge.
Thanks for recognising the efforts of the Team here at the Crowne Plaza Reading and we can't wait for your revisit.
Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed here Easter weekend, and I have to say it was good before, but is now excellent. Was checked in by Roxie, who was lovely, and we went up to one of the gorgeous balcony rooms, overlooking the river. Lots of swans, geese and baby ducklings to see, which was lovely!

Went down to the bar area, where Csaba and George really looked after us, as did Duty Manager Andy. Also had a great breakfast the next day, where we chatted to other guests and Luisa the girl looking after the restaurant. Great service but even better food.

Staff went out of their way to make our stay really memorable for all the right reasons!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Pauline
What a lovely review!
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and writing such a positive review. It’s really nice to see that you remember the names of the staff that looked after you and made you stay superb!
We thrive to create extraordinary experiences for our Guest and glad to see that your kind recognition demonstrates this.
I have also shared your comments with the Chef, as he will be delighted to see your comments as well.
Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Crowne Plaza Reading.