“Efficient city centre hotel with scenic bonus”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Reading
London, United Kingdom
“Efficient city centre hotel with scenic bonus”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

A two night stay for Royal Ascot weekend. Hotel chosen for ease of access to station.Seamless check in and secure car parking (free) and very pleasant and quiet suite overlooking a swan laden River Thames.Room had a corporate ambience but no bad thing as no surprises and few signs of heavy use. Minor issues dealt with instantly by slick front of house service. As to food , breakfast an open buffet style but a wide choice and well presented , slightly let down by slow service at dinner despite an almost empty restaurant and very simple order , service staff very apologetic. Executive Club offers free drinks and snacks at breakfast and in the evening a useful bonus.Recommended as a safe business bet and surprisingly on the pace for a leisure weekend.

Room Tip: Executive rooms come with added bonus of free continental breakfast and evening drinks. A few rooms...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Vane T
Thanks for your positive review about your recent stay, I am really pleased to see that the check in was seamless, you liked our wide choice breakfast and most importantly the minor issues were dealt with instantly.
Thanks for bringing your concerns regarding the slow dinner service to our attention, I have taken this matter up with my Food and Beverage Team and conveyed them your comments, certainly your comments are very constructive.
We would like to thank you for your business and we are looking forward to seeing you again in the future.
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Bruchsal, Germany
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Very much recommended for Reading, especially for meetings. The room was quite nice, spacious and well appointed; no complaints. Bed and linens were quite comfortable. The service from the events staff was exceptional, and elsewhere in the hotel was good, if a bit unattentive at times. The facilities are first rate and the location directly on the Thames is very pleasant. It's a bit of a walk (10-15 minutes) or short taxi ride from the train station, plus plenty of free parking for those who drive.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest
We want to thank you for your business and for choosing the Crowne Plaza Reading as your preferred Hotel-especially for Meetings!
We are really pleased to see that the service from the events staff was exceptional, and elsewhere in the Hotel was good. I learn from your comments the lack of consistency observed due to the staff being inattentive at times, certainly, this is a very constructive feedback and I shall relay this to the respective departments.
Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed in this Hotel for 1 night with my Husband and could not fault our stay.
We chose this Hotel due to the location and free parking. We were not disappointed! The car park is secure and right next to the Hotel-You are given a code to get out.
The room was clean and adequate. The shower was powerful and had big bath sheet towels. There was a selection of tea and coffee as well as biscuits and chocolates.
On Check-in they warned us they had a function on and put us in the quieter part of the Hotel. We could slightly hear it but not enough to disturb our sleep. The Hotel is next to a river which is really nice as can be viewed whilst having breakfast.
Location wise the Hotel is a 5 min drive from City Centre, probably about 15 mins on foot.
I would not hesitate on staying there again if in Reading.

1 Thank HollyP186225
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear HollyP186225
“We want to thank you for your business and for choosing the Crowne Plaza Reading as your preferred Hotel”, The Staff will certainly be delighted to read your comments and glad to see that you will definitely stay again.
As rightly mentioned by you, that our reception staff are very proactive and ensure that all the ongoing activities are communicated to our Guests and where possible we allocate quieter rooms to our Guest, so our Guests could have a “Good Night Sleep”.
Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Crowne Plaza Reading.
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed one night with my husband. Room over looked the Thames with the most beautiful view. Had a light lunch which was good. Room was very comfy and all the staff we encountered were very friendly. Would stay again and definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear redharvey64_10
I would like to thank you for your positive review and would like to acknowledge that the team here are privileged to read your nice comments.

I am really pleased to see that you had a lovely stay and that you recommend the Crowne Plaza Reading.

Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Fareham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed here with friends to celebrate a wedding anniversary and overall had a very good stay. Had a Balcony Suite with excellent views of the Thames and the room was very comfortable and spacious. Great access directly onto the riverbank for long walks in both directions along the Thames, and into Reading if you fancy some shopping. The FOH staff were welcoming and friendly and access to the Club Lounge with free drinks Happy Hour was a nice benefit of being in a suite. My only negative comment(s) was that service on the outside terrace was quite slow for drinks and lunch, due to, I think, just not having enough staff, and tables were very slow to be cleared. Could also do with an occassional sweep as alot of cigarette butts lying around. But in context of the overall stay quite minor, and would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for a great break.

Room Tip: We had a balcony Suite which has the benefit of great views straight over the Thames and an unusual...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Andrew S
Thanks for your review about your recent stay, I am really pleased to see that Front of House Staff members were welcoming and that overall, you had a very good stay.
Thanks for bringing your concerns to our attention, I have taken this matter up with my Food and Beverage Team and conveyed them your comments, certainly your comments are very constructive.
We are looking forward to seeing you again in the future.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently for 2.5 days, and had a very nice stay overall. The hotel is virtually on the Thames, and I was lucky to get a room facing the river. Seeing the flowing river and the huge number of swans and geese was very relaxing. I had a problem one day with my card keys not working. I was given duplicate card keys, which too did not work. One of the hotel staff then came with me and let me in using the physical key. He tried very hard to fix the electronic lock on my door, but it did not work. For the remainder of my stay someone had to let me in to my room. While this was a bit annoying, I really appreciate the concern and friendliness of the night manager Gareth, who tried his best to make it up to me. He was also very nice when he checked me in earlier, taking care to explain all the features of the hotel.

I was also very pleasantly surprised the next morning as I was checking out that the Front Desk Manager, Farouk, also apologized for the inconvenience caused to me, and awarded me bonus points for my stay and waived the breakfast charges. What I appreciate is that he did all this with a genuine smile. Thanks, Gareth & Farouk!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Thames.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear ravi4travel
Thanks for your review about your recent stay. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and I am really pleased to see that Farrukh and Gareth made your stay worthwhile.
I would like to extend my sincere apologies for any tiresomeness caused due to the faulty key card system; this issue is now been resolved.
Thanks again for recognising the efforts made by Gareth and Farrukh, in particular their service recovery and the genuine caring attitude.
We are looking forward to seeing you again in the future.
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Enjoyed my stay here, reception staff very welcoming. Very comfortable beds and rooms were well appointed. Nice terrace leading to the river bank, food was good, parking easy as own secure car park. I was here on business and am happy to recommend this as a venue for business meetings.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the side away from the road as hotel is adjacent to a very busy roundabout so nois...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for your positive review and recommending us as a venue for business meetings.
I am pleased to hear that the reception staff members were very welcoming, the food was good and rooms were well appointed, the team here are privileged to read your kind comments!

We look forward to welcoming to back to the Crowne Plaza Reading.