“Great Stay in Reading”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Overall a great stay in Reading. The hotel was in a central location for me that was within a 10 minute walk to the Reading train station giving easy access to London, Oxford, and Henley. The facilities were clean, the staff were very helpful, and the hotel also was right next to the River Thames and a nice park. Outside of the hotel, there were a couple of good restaurants, but with a 20 minute walk, there was access to Reading City Center and the Riverfront with even more restaurants and shopping. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Stephen S
We want to thank you for your business and for choosing to stay at Crowne Plaza Reading”, The Staff will certainly be delighted to read your comments and glad to see that you will definitely stay again.
Thanks for thoroughly recommending our Hotel and we are happy to be a part of your “Great stay in Reading”
Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Crowne Plaza Reading.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Good location, next to River Thames where you can take a leisure walk. Slightly away from the hussle and buzzle of Reading ... Choice of Restaurants available near by. Breakfast spread could be better - its very frugal :(

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Paps223
Thanks for your review about your recent stay; I am really pleased to see that the Crowne Plaza Reading is a “Good place to relax and recover”.
Thanks for bringing your concerns regarding the breakfast spread to our attention; I have taken this matter up with my Head Chef and conveyed them your comments.
We are looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Good job by the gym staff in reopening the gym with very little disruption following flooding after recent heavy rain. The gym is looking good now with new lockers, lights and flooring. The Jacuzzi is now on a timer which is so much better. Further, planned work on the swimming pool, steam room etc will enhance it further.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear brucestalker1
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience and writing such a positive review on our recent soft refurbishment carried out at the Revive Leisure club and Spa.
We are really pleased to see that you recognise and appreciate the dedication of our Gym staff members who always thrive to deliver a seamless service.
Hope we continue to deliver and continue to receive great feedbacks from our Gym Members and Hotel guest who use our Leisure club!

Crowne Plaza Reading

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I organised a spa hen party for my friend, on arriving to the hotel at 10:30am we were directed to a very cold waiting room where we waited for about 45 minutes for anyone to appear, bearing in mind our party was booked for 11am with the first treatments starting then. We waited patiently and eventually a lady came into the room at 11:15am and provided us with robes and told us that the first treatments needed to go immediately (there was no intro/welcome or information provided on where we were to go to get changed or even where the treatment rooms were ect).

The first girls were rushed into their treatments while the rest of the group found their own way into the changing rooms and pool area. There was no organisation from the spa on who was going at what times ect, or what we needed to do or where to go. (luckily we were organised ourselves and made our own way to treatments)

Lunch Time - We had booked a spa package which included a light lunch with a glass of bubbly. (once again we were not told that lunch was ready or where is was held) We made our way back into the cold spa lounge (after being wet) and were greeted to a very small platter of finger sandwiches which was meant for 15 of us! (oh and no bubbly) - We reported to the girl in the room which was cleaning around us and made no effort to even greet us or even smile for that matter, she told us she would find out where the bubbly was and she left the room, 45 minutes later there was still no sign of her! Meanwhile we also reported to the male behind the spa reception desk that we had no bubbly also the fact that we has been left with no instruction on what was going on, or even if the sandwiched were for us!! After waiting for a good hour in the room a man in a suite (the manager I guess) casually strolled on into the room and his words being 'Im here to deal with your complaints' - No hello or nothing! - Anyway finally after a number of complaints and being frozen cold, we were provided with a small bowl of crisps and another small tray of sandwiches, Then the bubbly finally made an appearance and we were 3 glasses down, however we had given up at this point and just carried on with the day!

This was a huge disappointment and I was massively let down by the venue. The organisation and communication of the staff was shocking and unprofessional.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Hannahhhh1992,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is regrettable to see your interactions with the staff marred your experience at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made to ensure future guest satisfaction.

Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Checked in for two nights , with a late arrival on a Saturday - the Duty Night Manager had no personality and got the booking wrong - I required a Twin Room and he gave me a double and told me that was the best he could do - no offer of a change the following day - that was it - in spite of being a Platinum Ambassador card - it could have been a Tesco coupon ! - the Hotel is dated - the rooms need a good freshen up - the only good thing about it was the rear entrance on to the River where you could sit out , but even that was not planted with flowers /etc the key card would not work the following day and had to be reprogrammed - the girl told me it was because I had it in my pocket ! - where else was I going to keep it ? I stayed two nights , had one B/Fast and paid Euro 315 - very poor value for money in a place like Reading on a Saturday and Sunday night .
They also had a student Rowing Team in for the Weekend and the Dinning area was akin to a Student Canteen - Never again - Thank you.

Room Tip: Forget it and move on !! - Better must be round the next corner !
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear TOPCAT010,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum Ambassador member and for leaving us a feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed at hotel with a friend while we are in the area recently and chose it because of the good ratings and location.
We booked an exec room with balcony and weren't disappointed! We had the end room over looking the river which was beautiful, the room was large, clean and not cheap looking at all. Had a great nights sleep and bathroom was clean and a lovely shower.
We ate downstairs in the restaurant, food was very good and prices were reasonable.
I am staying there again in August after I visit a local event and have requested the same room, the staff were kind enough to make a note of my request and said they will do their best but if it isn't available we will have an exec room still over looking the river. Looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Exec room over looking river with balcony
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Claire K
I would like to thank you for your positive review and would like to acknowledge that the team here are privileged to read your nice comments.
I am really pleased to see that you chose to stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading because of our good ratings and location. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and I am pleased to read that you will be staying again in August.
Looking forward to seeing you again in August!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The night previous to staying here I stayed in The Forbury. Enough said really, but this is a different type of hotel so lets crack on.
Staff were helpful, not so much full of the joys of spring but efficient.
Parking is excellent with plenty of it and all secure.
Bar is in the main foyer but the bar staff, for a lot of the time, weren't. Prices are ok and it is quite pleasant to be able to sit outside and look over the river, when you eventually get served.
It is an obvious chain hotel (I know that sounds contrite but other chains manage to individualise a bit) and it is clean and tidy.
The pool and hot tub were a blessing after long walks along the river and it was clean and very well run.
I have to agree with Malcolm P with regard to the rooms though. I booked an executive room and could see no difference between that and a normal room, other than about £50. In fact I'm sure that the room we had was smaller! It over looked the river, at a stretch, and you had the use of the (empty, and not just with people) executive lounge.
The bathroom, although clean, was, to put it mildly, cheap. Seriously, I could go to B&Q and get better fittings.
Overall then, some parts were very good but the whole was let down by the rooms.
I appreciate that others will disagree but if I pay good money for an executive room then I would like something a bit special.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more and get an executive Suite.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guest
“We want to thank you for your business and for bringing these concerns to our attention. We certainly do not wish to lose you as a valued customer”.
I have shared your comments with the relevant departments; I can assure you that we will resolve the outlined issues as a matter of urgency.
I am pleased to hear that the staff members were helpful and efficient.
Please accept my sincere apologies and I am confident that a future visit to our Hotel will better reflect our commitment to customer satisfaction.”
Many Thanks