“Very nice hotel. Great location!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Very nice hotel. Great location!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel when we went to the Henley music festival. We got a really good rate for an executive room. We've stayed at quite a few Crown Plaza Hotels and this, in my opinion, stands out above the rest (except Crown Plaza, Heathrow Airport). The rooms are very nice and the setting is lovely. It is set right on the side of the River Thanes with lovely views. We didn't eat there as we were only there one night, but we made the most if the executive lounge which had some really nice snacks and a good breakfast. All in all if you're looking for a nice inexpensive hotel in Henley, then I would thoroughly this one.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike11186368
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Mike
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and writing such a positive review, great to see that your stay was excellent, the room had a lovely view, and that you enjoyed the facilities of our Executive Lounge.
I am sure that based on your recent experience, you shall come and stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading more often!
Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Ashish
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed in the Crowne Plaza in Reading while I was there for business, and had brought my missus with me as we were heading out on vacation after that.

I was pleasantly surprised with the friendliness and efficiency of the staff, this is something that is missing unfortunately from most hotels, even the 4 star ones.

We arrived really early and I had to rush off to work, while my partner stayed back and waited for a room to be prepared, which was earlier than the normal check-in time. She visited the gym & pool and reports that it was good and not too busy.

The breakfast in the morning was excellent, and once more the staff excelled in making sure eveyone was made welcome and enjoyed their breakfast. I spent some time on the lovely riverside terrace working on my laptop and was offered drinks and help by the very friendly staff again. The wifi was free and good enough for me to work on.

I think what makes a great hotel is the helpfulness and can-do attitude of the staff, and this was the case with Crowne Plaza in Reading. Well Done, I will stay there again!

Room Tip: I had a riverside room and very much enjoyed the view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank George A
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear George A
Thanks for your positive review about your recent stay; I am pleased to see that you and your partner had a great time whilst your stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading. I have taken the privilege to share your comments with the staff and they are absolutely delighted to read your comments.
I agree that our Team is our biggest asset and their consistent helpfulness and can-do-attitude makes this Hotel a unique place to stay for our Guest, I appreciate your kind words and acknowledging this!

We are glad to see that based on your service experience; you shall stay again at the Crowne Plaza Reading.

Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights when attending a family wedding, a number of rooms had been prebooked so we had no choice in what we got. Fortunately it was agt the back of the hotel & not overlooking the busy/noisy road but we had no view, just the roof over the dining area.
The decor was a bit dated and made the small room feel a bit claustrophobic but it had all the important facilities even a fridge.
There was an air-con unit but it was so noisy that we had to turn it off, there was a window which opened so we were quite happy.
The hotel backs straight onto the Thames so it was easy acces for a walk although it wasn't the most pleasant area due to the excess of swans and their poo.
The only meals we had in the hotel were breakfast but, frankly, these were disappointing, not the spread you'd expect.
In summary, the bed was ok, the shower was ok, breakfast just about ok, price ok for what we got. Nothing special apart from the location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ladytraveller35
Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for your review regarding your recent stay.
Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the noisy air-con and quality of breakfast, I am sorry to learn that there was nothing special apart from breakfast!

I have relayed your comments about the Breakfast quality to the Chef and service staff and shared your comments with the relevant managers, it’s really important for us to understand the feelings of our guest and resolve the constructive criticisms that we receive.

Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to once again welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Reading.

Dublin
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for 2 nights mid July with my daughter. It was really hot at the time so we really really appreciated the air conditioning after a day shopping and walking around town. Staff are great - especially the household staff who are really friendly. Positives: We had a lovely half hour mini cruise up the Thames on a beautiful sunny day - just a 2 minute walk from the back of the hotel. The wifi is great and free. There is a 24 hour petrol station across the road which is great for late night snacks and drinks. Breakfast at the weekend was nice and late but check-out was at 11am which is way too early I feel. My daughter is 15 and a keen and competent swimmer but we were told that it was over 18s only in the pool after 6 pm which should really be mentioned on the website - as this was a main reason for booking the hotel in the first place. Overall we had a great stay- really relaxing.

Room Tip: To the back of the hotel on the second floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MaryTDublin
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear MaryTDublin
Thanks for your positive review about your recent stay; I am really pleased to see that you had a very restful stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading; our Staff are certainly delighted to be recognised –especially the housekeeping team!

Thanks for bringing your concerns regarding the pool timings, I agree that this should be mentioned on the website and I shall update the website information relating to the pool operating times and the kid’s policy. I apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

We would like to thank you for your business and we are looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

London
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Close to Reading town centre and train station. I checked in here for a relaxing weekend and it didn't disappoint me.The room was very large, clean and had a stunning river view from my balcony. The food from the restaurant was exquisite. And we manage to have our dinner overlooking the river. What a view. There's a spa, gym and jacuzzi facilities to use even though I only stay for a short time. A big thank you to Faroukh for making my stay such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank MissLi77
Dear MissLi77
Thanks for such a positive review about the Hotel and really happy to see that you had a relaxing weekend stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading.

We thrive to create exceptional and unforgettable experience for our Guest, and glad to see that Farrukh made your stay worthwhile.

I have shared your comments with the team and they are really delighted to read you lovely comments.

Regards

North Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Very nice hotel. Good swimming pool. Helpful, pleasant staff especially Andy Williams. Very pleasant and relaxing place to stay and work. Convenient location.
Super walks along the Thames and views of boaters and ducks!

Room Tip: Thames view?
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JKirsten
Dear JKirsten
We want to thank you for your business and choosing Crowne Plaza Reading as your preferred Hotel”, thanks also for recognising the product and service that we offer. As I can see from your comments, that you explored the venue and made the most of the surroundings, especially the scenic River Thames.
Andy and Maria are both fantastic Duty Managers and they always thrive to create memorable experience for our Guest, I have shared your comments to Andy and he is certainly delighted to be recognised!
Thanks for recognising the efforts of the Team here at the Crowne Plaza Reading; I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel was a great disappointment,we have stayed at several crowne plazas around the country and abroad and can categorically say this is the worst value one we have stayed in.The canapés or the evenings on the Friday and Saturday comprised of tortillas and dips!Lots of care and attention there, but on the Thursday that we were there they also provided a form of crostini so why not at least do these on the weekend as well - is it because there are more people staying then and they are cost saving!!!
We also enquired of the night manager for a late checkout on the Sunday as the checkout time is 11am but being a gold member you do have that as one of the perks however in this hotel according to the manager the absolute latest that you can have is 12pm or they will charge you - very helpful!!!
We had been considering this hotel for a base for Royal Ascot next year but after the service received and the disappointment in the room,we will look elsewhere,shame really as up to now we have had good experiences from Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Don't prepay your room as you definitely do not receive a good one
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pagey49
Dear pagey49
Thanks for bringing your concerns to our attention. You deserved better –from us last week and sorry we let you down. Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to once again welcome you back to our Hotel. I have shared your concerns with the head chef and the reception manager and I can assure you that we have taken actions to rectify the issues that you experienced.

Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the late checkout, as an IHG Rewards club Gold member one of the perks you have is extended checkout-based on availability and this is honoured at no extra charges, I have spoken to the night manager and relayed the IHG Rewards club late checkout procedures.
We certainly do not wish to lose you as a valued customer. I am confident that a future visit to the Hotel will reflect "that we care", please contact me directly and I will be happy to discuss the matter and resolve this to your satisfaction.