“A good two night stay”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

We had a great two night stay .Rooms very clean and modern good powerful shower. Lots of good choice for breakfast and the breakfast staff where great particularly a more older member of the team she was very attentive and great with my young daughter. Would defernitly use this hotel again

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank seaview040
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear seaview040
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and writing such a positive review, great to see that your stay was excellent, the rooms were very clean, and that you enjoyed the breakfast and the service from the breakfast staff.
I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the Breakfast staff and particularly Gillian- who looked after you and was very attentive.
I am sure that based on your recent experience, you shall come and stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading more often!

Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Ashish

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I think this is at least the third time I've stayed here over a period of about four or five years, but I don't seem to have written a review before!
We had a standard twin room this time, which was a decent size, with pleasant décor, clean and in a good state of repair. It was at the front of the hotel, and there was a little bit of road noise, but nothing too bad. The toiletries provided were nice, and the bath towels were particularly large and fluffy. The shower was good.
We were provided with a bottle of mineral water – which I really appreciate – on two nights of our stay, but not the other two. (And I wish they would use bin liners – I dislike chucking used teabags and milk cartons into an otherwise-clean bin with no liner. But that may just be me!)
Breakfasts were very good on this stay, with an excellent selection of cold and hot buffet (and the rarity of a toaster in a hotel that toasts the bread without burning it). My only complaint was that a couple of times, we had to ask for fresh mugs because the ones placed on our table didn’t seem very clean.
We used the restaurant three times for dinners during this stay, and quality of food and service were very good; and they didn’t seem to mind that we only wanted a main course and a coffee rather than a three-course dinner. However, I was surprised that the bar couldn’t offer decaffeinated coffee in the evening when we asked for it on the first night.
The free wi-fi throughout the hotel is a bonus (and one of the reasons I chose this rather than the Hilton this time). It worked well in the room.
All the staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful.
Car parking is outdoor, but spacious. On the last day of our stay, people were starting to arrive for the Reading Festival (which seems to be located right next to the hotel), and they had put up barriers to keep them out of the hotel grounds. Cones on the main road on our last day meant that I couldn’t turn right off the main road to go to the hotel car park, and had to go up to a roundabout and approach from the other direction, turning left.
When I have stayed here before, I have usually got a ‘deal’ of some sort. However, because I wasn’t certain if the stay was going ahead until the last minute, I had to book at the cancellable rate; and it was also midweek. So it was relatively more expensive than my previous stays – and that has obviously affected my assessment of value for money on this occasion.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2014

Dear Jonathan H
Thanks for recognising the efforts of the Team here, we all here at the Crowne Plaza Reading are really thrilled to get this fantastic review!
I am pleased to see that your stay was faultless; and based on your experience you “Highly Recommend” the Crowne Plaza Reading!
I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here during the Rewind festival in Henley in August, attentive and helpful staff and great location. Bus stop only across the road for a regular service to Henley. Lovely rooms and a great breakfast! Would stay here again for personal and business use as the hotel seems set up to cater for both in a professional manner.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear MYBerkshire
I would like to thank you for your positive review and would like to acknowledge that the team here are privileged to read your nice comments.

I am really pleased to see that you chose to stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading during the Rewind festival. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and I am pleased to read that you would stay here again, for both leisure and business!

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed for three nights in an executive double. Lovely room 114 which had a balcony overlooking the Thames.
Arrived at the hotel after a usual M25 Friday afternoon special! Room wasn't quite ready but decided to wait and have some lunch. John Paul looked after us and really went above and beyond what he needed to printing off maps and explaining in depth about the local area.
Room was excellent. Absolutely no complaints and a few nice touches in the room for us.......
The hotel was in easy reach of some lovely restaurants and shops.
Breakfast was very nice.
No complaints at all.
We will stay here again for sure when we visit the area again.
Thanks to all at the Crowne Plaza Reading.

Room Tip: Ask for riverside view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulW1969

Dear PaulW1969

Thanks for such a positive review about the Hotel, we are really happy to see that you had an excellent weekend stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading.

We thrive to create exceptional experience for our Guest, and glad to see that John Paul looked after you and went above and beyond to make your stay worthwhile.

I have shared your comments with John Paul and the team and they are really delighted to read you lovely comments.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel when we went to the Henley music festival. We got a really good rate for an executive room. We've stayed at quite a few Crown Plaza Hotels and this, in my opinion, stands out above the rest (except Crown Plaza, Heathrow Airport). The rooms are very nice and the setting is lovely. It is set right on the side of the River Thanes with lovely views. We didn't eat there as we were only there one night, but we made the most if the executive lounge which had some really nice snacks and a good breakfast. All in all if you're looking for a nice inexpensive hotel in Henley, then I would thoroughly this one.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike11186368
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Mike
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and writing such a positive review, great to see that your stay was excellent, the room had a lovely view, and that you enjoyed the facilities of our Executive Lounge.
Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Ashish

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed in the Crowne Plaza in Reading while I was there for business, and had brought my missus with me as we were heading out on vacation after that.

I was pleasantly surprised with the friendliness and efficiency of the staff, this is something that is missing unfortunately from most hotels, even the 4 star ones.

We arrived really early and I had to rush off to work, while my partner stayed back and waited for a room to be prepared, which was earlier than the normal check-in time. She visited the gym & pool and reports that it was good and not too busy.

The breakfast in the morning was excellent, and once more the staff excelled in making sure eveyone was made welcome and enjoyed their breakfast. I spent some time on the lovely riverside terrace working on my laptop and was offered drinks and help by the very friendly staff again. The wifi was free and good enough for me to work on.

I think what makes a great hotel is the helpfulness and can-do attitude of the staff, and this was the case with Crowne Plaza in Reading. Well Done, I will stay there again!

Room Tip: I had a riverside room and very much enjoyed the view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank George A
Ashish J, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear George A
Thanks for your positive review about your recent stay; I am pleased to see that you and your partner had a great time whilst your stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading. I have taken the privilege to share your comments with the staff and they are absolutely delighted to read your comments.
I agree that our Team is our biggest asset and their consistent helpfulness and can-do-attitude makes this Hotel a unique place to stay for our Guest, I appreciate your kind words and acknowledging this!

We are glad to see that based on your service experience; you shall stay again at the Crowne Plaza Reading.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights when attending a family wedding, a number of rooms had been prebooked so we had no choice in what we got. Fortunately it was agt the back of the hotel & not overlooking the busy/noisy road but we had no view, just the roof over the dining area.
The decor was a bit dated and made the small room feel a bit claustrophobic but it had all the important facilities even a fridge.
There was an air-con unit but it was so noisy that we had to turn it off, there was a window which opened so we were quite happy.
The hotel backs straight onto the Thames so it was easy acces for a walk although it wasn't the most pleasant area due to the excess of swans and their poo.
The only meals we had in the hotel were breakfast but, frankly, these were disappointing, not the spread you'd expect.
In summary, the bed was ok, the shower was ok, breakfast just about ok, price ok for what we got. Nothing special apart from the location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ladytraveller35

Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for your review regarding your recent stay.
Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the noisy air-con and quality of breakfast, I am sorry to learn that there was nothing special apart from breakfast!

I have relayed your comments about the Breakfast quality to the Chef and service staff and shared your comments with the relevant managers, it’s really important for us to understand the feelings of our guest and resolve the constructive criticisms that we receive.

Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to once again welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Reading.