“Location, location location”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights, was a great location right on the river Thames. Hotel very clean and staff friendly. Would certainly return.

Reviewed 2 June 2010

This is my favorite when I have one of my regular stays in for Business in Reading. Although hotels of this categorie are somewhat old fashioned (lets call it british traditionell) it has all you need for a short 1-3 night stay.

Rooms are right sized and clean. They have a nice Flat TV set with international SAT TV for a small extra fee.

Breakfast is mixed english and continental ok but not great. Service is at breakfast is slow. Plan extra time.

Check in and out takes time as well.
Over all, the best value I can get in this area

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2010

Our first visit to this hotel, having usually stayed at their sister hotel in Marlow, We were not disappointed,a lovely clean hotel and what looked like a recently refurbished room.
Staff were pleasant and HAPPY in their roles.

We enjoyed the location of the hotel right on the river and with easy acess to caversham restaurants.

Breakfast was a well-organized and delightful affair, we look forward to visting again very soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2010

Midway between Henley and Reading this was perfect for a wedding stopover of one night. We got a £60 rate which proved to be great value when taking into account the free parking, really good breakfast buffet and the spa (which we didn't use, but would next time we're there).
Rooms are comfortable and clean with good sound-proofing. Everything we needed was in there and we had a good breakfast the next morning which rounded off the overnight visit nicely.
Would definitely recommend this for the service we received as well, which was attentive and very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
lreading, Resident Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. I am pleased that we were able to provide an ideal base for you when attending a Wedding at the weekend.

Thank you for your positive feedback which I shall ensure is forwarded to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back when next in Reading.

Reviewed 31 May 2010

This must be the best hotel we have stayed in not only in reading but in the whole of london,The staff cant do enough for you, The rooms are 1st class,The food is outstanding,And the location is well you cant get closer to the riverside or the town centre all in walking space.We have booked again for the summer to take our grandaughter with the indoor pool,Windsor and legoland just down the road we cant wait.

Reviewed 28 May 2010

Fabulous location, but ask for a room that overlooks the water, and make sure it does as this is wonderful, watching the boats on the river and watching thebeautiful swans swans. Balance having a fantastic view with the noise that you might hear from below on a hot night.(I heard nothing!) Go for the view everytime! Bathroom well equipped, well lit and it has a magnifying mirror! TV annoying to use and TV menu should be made much more simple to use.Very comfortable beds and a brilliant room service lady. I would recommend this hotel anytime based on my stay, BUT I was disappointed that when I pointed out a number of plates that were not washed properly at the self service buffet and I put them in a pile, I noticed that they were deliberately put back on the pile of plates waiting to be used as soon as the waiter thought I was not looking. This is something for management to watch.I have therefore given this hotel 4 out of 5 stars for this one reason. Food was fine.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit. I am delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have noted your comments regarding the TV menus and shall certainly be looking into seeing if there is anyway to make them easier to navigate. I am disapointed to see your comments regarding the dirty plates at breakfast and would like to assure you that this is certainly not a standard we aim to attain. I shall be addressing this with the Restaurant Manager to ensure that plates are clean before going to the buffet and if in any instance they are not that they are certainly not replaced.

Thank you highlighting these problems but also for your positive comments, I hope that you would consider staying with us again should you be back in the Reading area.

Reviewed 17 April 2010

My dearth of reviews aside; i travel a lot. I am Platinum Ambassador in the Priority Club scheme. The reason for relating that information is from the moment I checked in the staff at the Crowne Plaza Reading, treated me far better than most hotels in the IC Group have ever done.

I was in Reading to do a course at Microsoft and so booked into a standard room to reduce cost. On discovering my status the reception staff jiggled rooms around for a few minutes to find me a better room - eventually upgrading me to a club room with a great view of the river outside; so good that a waitress delivering room service even commented on it. The room had a balcony which was relaxing on the cool evenings watching the local rowing club training on the river; and the volcanic ash enhanced sun set down the river. The room itself was immaculate; and bar some noise from the air conditioner as it powered up and down was very quiet. There was a draft from the balcony doors which in winter may be unpleasant; on spring evenings it didn't bother me much and the curtains contained most of it.

The desk was a good size and the desk-chair was comfortable to sit and work at; the power sockets were above the counter which is where the ought to be; but so often aren't. The hotel had wireless and wired internet available (as well as a dial up socket should you need it.) i found my t-mobile 3g data stick worked excellently as you would expect in a city centre.

The Club Lounge was very well maintained; the furniture; desks and sofa type seating looked and was very comfortable and there was a Large TV and a computer available too. There is a good coffee machine available at all times; and the Lounge happy hour was between 6 and 8pm. It is usually busy in hotels that have it; but was pretty much the only one to take advantage of it. During happy hour there were canapes, wine, beer and soft drinks available.

The food in the restaurant was very good; though if you are staying for a long period then you will be eating out a lot as the menu was very brief. The room service menu follows the restaurant menu; as does the bar itself which means you are limited to a single menu choice which is a bit of a shame.

One Tip - don't park under a tree there are a lot of water birds about !

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
lreading, Resident Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that we were able to offer you an updgraded room on arrival.

I appreciate the feedback regarding the draught from the balcony doors which will now be rectified. Following the feedback from yourself and other guest we have reviewed our menus in order to offer more choice for our guests, along side our seasonal menu we have also introduced a menu that changes on a weekly basis for those guests that stay with us regularly or for a longer period of time again in order to offer a wider choice.