“Cheap and not so cheerfull” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of pentahotel Reading

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
pentahotel Reading
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Reading
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Cheap and not so cheerfull”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

I booked an executive room and requested a bath online in advance but when it came to checking in, there was no bath and no breakfast included like it said when I made the booking, so not off to a great start although we sorted the breakfast mix up out later.

I have to say that the pictures on the website are a little miss leading because they depict a funky modern classy hotel and the reality is different. It's not terrible, but it has a cheap feel to it. I know I didn't pay the earth for this, about £85 but by comparison the Holiday in Reading J10 is only a few pounds more but there is a world of difference.

The hotel is also in quite a rough part of town. We saw lot's of drunks trying to get into the hotel for a late drink and we were told that they quite often have to call the police. The hotel had a bouncer on the door!!! The hotel has no parking so you have to haul your bags from the car-park along the streets to the hotel or drop them off first, which is not ideal.

The room was just OK. The view was of neighboring office roofs so not amazing and we down graded to have a room with a bath as the executive room did not have one. The room looked tired.

Breakfast is not great either. It was a buffet style which is fine but the cooked breakfast items were terrible. You can tell that the hotel uses the cheapest ingredients to cut costs. I actually could not eat my bacon and scrambled eggs and sausage so had cereal instead. The coffee is good though.

The one saving grace about this hotel is the staff. They are great, especially Terry who is the duty Manager (I think) She went out of her way to make things right and she is a real asset to this hotel as are the rest of the staff.

This hotel has potential to be good. I am sure that by making some minor improvements to the rooms and using better ingredients for breakfast, it could be quite nice.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Hi David. Thank you for writing your review about us. I am sorry for the few initial challenges but I’m glad they were quickly resolved for you. Reading is a vibrant town with a great party vibe about it at the weekends which is great for anyone looking for a civilized dinner or some serious clubbing. We do have a great relationship with our local force as any good business should in a busy town. We don’t have a need for a security guard on the door unless a specific event requires one and manage our property with our trained Duty Managers 24 / 7. The very secure and pleasant Qpark adjacent to us is a great asset to have near us for our guest parking so centrally. We are always more than happy to help with any luggage so just let us know when you pull up on our large front drive. I am sorry to hear that you felt your room was tired. This point is being investigated and the room in question stepped up in our planned, preventative maintenance programme to make sure it’s perfect. I am very surprised by your comments about breakfast as this is a key area of our business and we only provide the best. From Prosecco to smoked salmon to fine quality classic hot dishes I am sorry to hear this didn’t work for you. I would welcome more detailed feedback if at all possible as we want to ensure every single guest enjoys their most important meal of the day! Brilliant feedback about our staff and in particular Teri and I have ensured your praise has been passed on. Thank you again for your feedback. I do hope you get the opportunity to visit us again and am sure you will have a great time when you do.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights on business after my booking at another hotel was cancelled at they last minute. Located just off St Mary's Butts it's easy to get to. Check in was quick, my booking said breakfast included but this was not what the hotel had but was honoured anyway. Room was nice, well furnished and clean. Bathroom was clean if a little small but could have done with a towel rail. Free movies included I the rate was a nice touch. Breakfast was okay, decent choice but very crowded around the buffet area. Will use this hotel again as central location makes it easy to go out for dinner.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Hi Jez. Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that circumstance lead to you staying with us! I have dropped you a note off-line and hope that we see lot’s more of you in the future. Thanks again.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed on a saturday night last week. Great decor and style which makes a change from the normal hotel chain. Room was nice, bed sheets were slightly stained and with quite a few little holes dotted around. The bed was huge and very comfy. Shower was good but little annoyances were, having to put toilet seat down to flush the loo and not enough places to put wet towels. Overall it is was good. We decided to have a siesta before hitting town but struggled with noise from the lifts (thankfully at night this was not a problem), and a door that shook constantly! I solved that problem by wedging paper around the door frame!
We had a drink in the bar before heading out. I asked for a gin and tonic and a beer. I was not offered a choice of gin but was given the dearest option which was very expensive even for a hotel bar in Reading! As my wife is not a fan of Tanquery gin it was a waste anyway, my fault for not checking! Felt ripped off !! Another gripe was some of the swearing from other customers who were watching the live football being shown in the bar. A sign of the times perhaps, but not very nice.
We decided to pass on the breakfast at £16 each and went outside to the nearest Pret!
We did enjoy our stay but probably will not return. Also, parking in a multi story car park, (extra cost) is not ideal. Shame, because quite a bit of what they do is good.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am sorry to see there were a few niggles with your room which I have actioned the relevant members of the team to address. Also my apologies for the issue with the Gin which I can only put down to a misunderstanding. The team are certainly not targeted with upselling a certain brand over another – we just want you to have what you want from our awesome drinks selection and most importantly of all, enjoy yourself! With the selection and variety we have, our breakfast’s represent great value at £15 but we also have a special deal on check-in which makes it even more outstanding value! I strongly urge you to give it a whirl next time! Our local car park is some of the best quality, secure parking in Reading and worth every penny of the discounted rate we offer our guests. I do hope you get another chance to stay with us. If and when you do, if there is anything you would like to see, just speak to one of the friendly team on duty and they will do everything they can to make sure your stay is exceptional.
Hyderabad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I recently stayed at the Pentahotel in Reading and was quite happy with the overall experience - the location is great. It is right in the center of the town and walkable distance from the train station (not if you have to haul luggage). The rooms and the hotel is clean, well maintained and I found the staff quite helpful with a no-nonsense attitude.

Bathrooms are the usual disappointments in UK hotels (for international travelers) but this hotel had a "full-sized" shower rather than the typical "cage" that you find in other hotels. However, I am yet to find the reason as to why hotels in the UK don't believe in the concept of shower curtains (this one doesn't have one either).

I believe UK tourism will see a double digit increase if they put good sized shower areas with curtains in their hotels/B&B with curtains.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Copare
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted you had a great time with us. Thanks for the feedback on the showers; something I am sure we will consider in our future plans. Hope to see you again soon for more of the same great, no-nonsense good times!
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

My husband and i wanted a night away, i must say what a stunning hotel,spotlessly clean,decor beautiful,massive bed shame about our neighbours that were very loud all night that we did not get much sleep but they were on a fun weekend and not the hotels fault as i am sure if we did complained they would have sorted something but we did not want to spoil any ones fun,bar was not too expensive,loved having a vending machine on our floor by the lifts so we could get a drink in the middle of the night also well priced,breakfast,well what a choice need to go back to experience the breakfast food i never had.if i had one fault for us the restaurant for evening meal was too expensive for us to eat in as we were on a budget night but if we did have money to burn we would of ate there.Been to a few hotels in reading now and i do not think you can beat this one.see you very soon.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your lovely review! I am very pleased you had a great time with us. I am sorry that you experienced some disturbance during your time with us; with our 24 hour duty managers always at hand just let us know if this happens again and we will tactfully deal with it. I am also sorry you didn’t get chance to eat dinner with us. We do have some extremely competitively valued items on our menu’s which you may not have spotted so please do give our menu another scan next time you’re with us and I’m sure we’ll be able to tempt you. Delighted you’ve found the best in town and we can’t wait to see you again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I was a bit dubious as to how a budget hotel could impress so many reviewers, but I wasn't disappointed.
The hotel is on the edge of Reading's main shopping area and has a young vibe, with an impressively large bar/lounge/reception area. Staff were friendly and efficient and everywhere was spotlessly clean.
The room was streamlined but well designed, with a huge (and very comfortable) bed. The bathroom was gorgeous, and the packaged toiletries 'to use or take home' were a nice touch. The room included free wifi and digiTV, as well as 10 free movie channels. Noise levels were acceptable - I didn't hear the traffic outside, but I was woken a couple of times by slamming doors and noisy guests in the corridor.
Overall a great hotel, and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Thank you for your extremely complimentary review! I am delighted you like all the cool things we do here because that’s what we’re all about! Looking forward to seeing you again next time.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have stayed here on business a number of times. The hotel is in a great location within Reading, lots of places to eat close by if you don't fancy the hotel for eating. All of the staff are friendly and attentive, cannot do enough for you.

The rooms are pretty big, very clean and the bed is really comfy. Try and get a room away from the main road that runs just to the right of the hotel as it can get a little noisy.

As a business guest I use the WiFi, the connection quality is really good in the room and the common areas of the hotel, the price is great for the quality of service it provides.

Plenty of businesses use the hotel for meetings and for Christmas parties as well, it's a very popular place with plenty of guests, for the price they charge you it is very well worth the price, especially compared to other hotels which are not as good quality in my opinion.

In summary, a great hotel, I spend a lot of time here for business so I will be coming back for many more visits.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road or higher up when they have parties, it can get a bit loud, not ba...