“Only one lift working, no stairs and unfriendly staff”
Review of pentahotel Reading

pentahotel Reading
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Reading
“Only one lift working, no stairs and unfriendly staff”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I was looking forward to staying here, it looked very nice, however I will not be staying again.
On arrival, there was only one other person being checked in, there were plenty of staff in the bar area cleaning glasses and standing around, and two people checking people in, however it took one was busy with one customer who had a complaint about something or other and the other person on the desk was on the phone and took several calls while I patiently waited and waited and waited !!!!. Eventually, after a queue had built up after me she perfectly politely checked me in, but the impression of me just being an inconvenience had already been set !.

I was on the first floor, there was only one lift working and a queue for it. I looked around for the stairs, which was noticed by another guest who was also waiting and he commented that he couldn't find them either. I have no idea why it took so long, but it really was a good 5 mins before the lift arrived, it must have been manually being held at another floor, there is no way it could possibly have taken that long otherwise !.

So you can imagine, by this time I have already made my mind up that I'm not going to like this place !.

The room was OK, nothing special, the mattress was foam which was ok, however there was a long hair in the bed which was a little disturbing as it was definately not mine.

The toiletries were quite nice, all in a little zipped bag, and there was a free bottle of water.

I didn't feel like eating in the hotel and giving them my custom after the experience of checking in and went to a local restaurant, lots about.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Steve Smiths. Thank you for taking the time to post your views about your stay. First impressions are all important and I am very sorry we did not get your stay off to the start you expected. We train our team members to be able to multitask between our bar and reception area for just the reason you have described. I will be reviewing what happened with regards your experience with the team to see where we may need to provide additional training, support and focus. I am glad that after your short wait we politely checked you in but however, you have my apologies. I can assure you that none of our guests, including yourself, are ever an inconvenience to us. We are here to look after our customers and as a team are passionate about this from our drinks being served in a perfectly polished glasses, a well handled phone call and a polite and upbeat check-in. There have been no issues with our lifts and I cannot comment on why there was a delay in one of them reaching you. Indeed there may have been another guest holding them. Certainly a wait of 5 minutes is not indicative of their normal service and I can only apologise that this was perhaps the case for you. If for any reason we do have a lift out of service for routine safety checks and maintenance, we have a third lift that we open up and very clearly signpost for our guest’s convenience. We certainly do have a staircase but I am sorry that you weren’t able to find this. I can only apologise for the housekeeping issue you described. This will be addressed with our Housekeeping team. Our beds are not foam but some of the most comfortable, no expense spared beds anyone may ever sleep in! They are a top priority for us, our weary road warriors and party goers alike!

I am pleased that there were some positive points to your experience but disappointed you didn’t come and speak to us about your concerns so we could have done everything possible to ensure your stay was as great as it should have been. It’s also a real shame you didn’t give our restaurant a chance. Yes there are some fantastic restaurants in the town but our food and service is second to none and in the comfort of your own hotel! Steve, I hope you give us another chance and know we can really wow you with your experience with us. I will drop you a note off-line so you can contact me directly if you’d like to stay again so I can look after your stay personally as I’d really like to turn this situation around so you are another of our many, extremely happy customers.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York Mills, New York
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel!

It's not a normal hotel, look like a new concept, and I liked it. The bar area is connected to reception, and it's a very confortable place to rest and relax, (or play PS3!) the design is awesome.
The rooms are beautiful and the BIG bed is really confortable. It was clean.
Another good thing about this hotel is the food. I liked the breakfast, with lot of variety to choose (even Prosecco!) and the food in the restaurant is simply perfect... Best steaks in town.
The staff was very friendly in every areas, and they remember me after a few days. Very good!
I stayed in the hotel for a few days for business, and the conference service was very nice: big and very confortable conference rooms, good and unlimited coffees, great lunches... Perfect.

If I have to go to Reading again in the future, I would like to stay here again. Very recommended.

• Stayed February 2014
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Hi DannySanchez. Thank you very much for your review! Glowing praise all round and much appreciated. Loving the use of the word ‘perfect’ too - that’s what we’re all about! Looking forward to seeing you next time.
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I took my wife for a weekend break to reading and booked the pentahotel after reading the reviews. We were very impressed with the hotel.
The beds are superb, lovely room, and a great choice for breakfast, difficult to know what not to eat it was superb!!
Staff we're very nice and helpful
We will be back again for another weekend away. Best hotel we have stayed in for a long time !!

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you very much for your glowing review! It’s brilliant to see that some of the great reviews from our other very happy customers have attracted you to us and I am delighted you had the same excellent experience! It was my pleasure to have already shared your feedback with the team at our morning briefing today. It just leaves me to say thank you and that we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Vallamand Dessous, Suisse
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I was in the Penta for 4 nights for a business trip. The hotel is very comfortable, well equipped and clean. I really liked the bathroom, which has a tropical shower. They should just remove the limestone from it, and it would be perfect. Breakfast was fine, and there was a lot of choice. I asked reception for restaurant once, and they were really helpful. The gym is also well furnished, I used it once. Also, I forgot to mention that the bed was huge, I think I didn't use more than half of it ;) I would go back there without any hesitation.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Hi Jean-Christophe. Thank you very much for your review. I’m really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for the little housekeeping tip; we’ll get straight onto that! Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have mixed reviews about the Pentahotel in Reading. When you walk in, it has the "Wow" factor with super-trendy decor and features. When you get off the elevator to the rooms though, it is dark and slightly dingy. The rooms are adequate. Small and modern with good technology hook-ups. The bed was comfortable, but no sheets were provided (just a comforter with a duvet cover) and the pillows were not that great. They also don't provide an ironing board or much storage. The bathroom was updated, clean and nice. It feels like an adequate, clean hotel...but definitely nothing luxurious. Finally, the location isn't the best. It is within one to two blocks of nice areas, but the immediate area round the hotel is a bit sketchy. I was approached by a homeless man and there was yelling outside at night. Overall, if the price is better than other hotels, I'd recommend it. Just wasn't too excited about the hotel beyond the lobby...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hi Matt. Thanks very much for your open and honest review. I am delighted you enjoyed some great key features of our hotel but am sorry to hear that not every element worked for you and there were a couple of unfortunate and rare issues that were experienced during your time with us. I hope you give us another chance and urge you to let us know when you’re with us if there is anything at all that you would like to see done differently. There’s not much we won’t do to ensure our customers have absolutely the best time with us and want to come back again and again.
Risca, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I have stayed in the Pentahotel Reading a couple of times through my work. They have very comfortable rooms with large beds and excellent en-suites. There is a & flat screen TV in each room along with kettle tea & coffee. The towels are large which is very nice after using the power shower. The gym is quite well equipped and has towels, water cooler & TV's. Food is to a reasonable standard but a little expen

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road as it is noisy all night.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thanks ever so much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. We do have some great value dishes on our menu and from time to time some great promotions so please do look out for these next time you’re with us.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have never stayed in a Pentahotel before so wasn't sure what to expect but it certainly exceeded our expectations.
The reception is shared with the bar and check in was smooth.We had booked a Penta plus room and were given a £5 voucher to use which is a nice touch .
We stayed in room 314 which overlooks the main road however noise was not an issue.
The room was of good proportions ,the bed was huge and comfortable.Lots of plug sockets and I was really pleased to find one near the full length mirror..That's a major plus !The bathroom had a heavenly shower and nice toiletries provided.These were replenished on our second day.Bathrobes and slippers were provided .
Breakfast was included which was plentiful with lots of choices .
A slight issue at the bar was handled well by the duty manager but what impressed me most was the general manager seeking us out at checkout to discuss it . I felt my concern had been actioned and resolved well .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alikavner
Thank you very much for your review and welcome to penta! I am delighted that you love what we do. Thanks for your understanding with the slight challenge we had. I was really pleased I could meet with you regarding this and glad this demonstrated our commitment to exemplary customer service. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!