“A lovely hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Reading
Stow-on-the-Wold
“A lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

This hotel is one of the smartest I have stayed in. The reception are is absolutely gorgeous. I stayed in a twin room with my Mum and the beds were the comfiest I've ever slept in. (Not single but not quite double)

Although breakfast was a veritable feast it was a bit of a kerfuffle! They ran out of plates, bowls, glasses and mugs (I had to ask someone for all of these!) and breakfast items needed to be replenished more often. Mum had a cooked breakfast with no scrambled egg and I had no hash browns. The coffee machines both broke and when they had been 'fixed' only served hot chocolate as there were no coffee beans!

It was great to have a checkout time of 2pm rather than the usual 12pm. It meant after going shopping we were able to go back up to our room, rest our feet and have a drink before checking out and going home.

All staff were very friendly and my only issue was with breakfast.

I would very much recommend this hotel. I just hope that next time I come, breakfast is a bit more organised!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thanks for your review Jess. I am delighted that overall you had a great stay with us and will be back. We had an unexpected peak of demand during the breakfast you described that should not have affected you. Very sorry for that; we have put measures in place and won’t happen next time. Looking forward to seeing you again in the future for 100% perfection!
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We had a very memorable stay at the hotel. We were very surprised to find a hotel like this existed in Reading. London style Boutique Chic. Our room was very spacious and comfortable. The beds are huge and the breakfast is a buffet style one, with every choice of food you can imagine. The staff were all very helpful and hospitable. We also attended the Back to Love party with the Legendary Paul Trouble Anderson. We have to say it was the best night that we have ever had in Reading. What an amazing crowd of people. The soulful music was second to none. We are definitely coming back to this event and staying at the hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your glowing review Peter. I am delighted you had such a great time with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel has a lovely feel to it really stylish and spacious, all the staff are only to happy to help and friendly, top marks Penta! Great food, a well stocked bar, rooms very clean and everything you need in them.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you very much for your fantastic review. I am delighted you had such a great time with us and enjoyed everything we do! Thanks again and see you again soon!
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed at the Pentahotel, Reading on 8th March for an event being held "Back to Love". From check in to check out, I had the most amazing stay. The reception staff were fantastic and only too happy to help. Check in was speedy with no request being too much. My room was fantastic. Very funky decor. The most comfy bed I've ever slept in in a hotel and fabulous rain forest style shower. A real luxury experience for a fraction of a luxury hotel price!

After the best night of soulful house music and dancing (the monthly event being headlined by DJ Paul "trouble" Anderson..I'd also highly recommend anyone going to this event the next time its held), I was glad of the buffet style breakfast in the morning......this was really really tasty with a perfect selection of both hot and cold breakfast options. Well done to the chefs! Couldn't fault the food.

Check out on a Sunday is 3pm so loads of time to relax and recover after the heavy night before. A genius idea!

I will definitely stay at the Pentahotel again in the very near future!

P.S - the disco ball in the bar/reception area is a brilliant idea. Really sets the mood! Well done to all the staff at Pentahotel for making my stay so comfortable.

Room Tip: 6th floor is a smoking floor if you are after a smoking room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thanks so much for your fantastic review! I am delighted you had such a great time with us and hope to welcome you back very soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I attended ''Back to Love'' featuring Paul Trouble Anderson on Saturday 8th March. I had the best night ever in Reading, the music along with great people on the night. The organiser's did an amazing job and the Hotel experience from staff to room quality was perfect.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi Parham. Thanks so much for your fantastic review. It was a great night and I am pleased you enjoyed it too. Thanks for the compliments and hope to see you again soon!
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

The overall experience was OK but very noisy.
The room was lovely and the bed was massive and comfortable
Which is a bonus as were kept awake until 4.30 am by a ”female based party" which took place in one of the rooms.
Called reception but were told it was a hotel for everybody.
I don't like to complain as the building was loverly and great location to all of reading itself.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Corrina. Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased that overall you had a positive stay with us. I am sorry for any disturbance from other guests. This is something that we would pick up on our regular patrols of the hotel and deal with or resolve when we are made aware. Apologies if this was not addressed quickly enough for you. That aside I am delighted you loved our hotel and location and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Having stayed here before, we were delighted to have a free weekend to spend a weekend in Reading. On arriving to the hotel, your greeted with a lovely ambience. Queuing up, it took an unusual long time to be checked in. Once settled. We went out to reading and enjoyed shopping and some food and decided to spend our night in the hotel bar. We got back to our room to get ready and ventured down to reception. We were then horrified to see a dating night was taking place and was advised we could not go to the back area of the bar. This was not advised to us on entrance to the hotel. There was nowhere to sit so unhappily went to our room. The morning after we woke up to have a shower and discovered it was blocked and therefore we were unable to shower for the day. On checking out that morning and advising the staff of the blockage, we got a simple glare. No apology or offer of another room to have a shower. We then decided to have a few drinks in the bar before leaving to go home. Stood at the bar for 15 minutes before the unbusy receptionist came over. The staff are clearly unhappy and not once do you get a smile. What was to be a nice weekend away in a hotel we normally enjoy, it was ruined. We will not be returning to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Lee. Thank you for your feedback and my sincere apologies that you visit to us did not meet your expectations. We have indeed hosted an event which occupied just a small portion of our lovely, big pentalounge. I am also pleased to say it was a busy night in our bar with a fantastic buzz but I am sorry you couldn’t find a seat when you popped down. I am surprised with the way you have described how your maintenance concern was addressed. This is not the way we deal with things and I can only apologise if there was a misunderstanding there. I am however investigating this point to see if we need to carry out some re-training with one of our team members. I am also very surprised that you waited an entire quarter of an hour to get served a drink. Our bar and reception is one, integral structure as part of our centre-piece pentalounge meaning you can check-in and out in the same place you can order a crisp beer or one of our outstanding bar meals. Our teams are trained to facilitate this happening and I can assure you they are a happy bunch! I am sorry to hear you will not be returning and do hope you change your mind as I am sure with a few actions from your valuable feedback and with the fantastic things we are doing at the hotel we can give you a pretty awesome experience again.