“Great for corporate events!”
Review of pentahotel Reading

pentahotel Reading
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I organised an all-day conference at the Pentahotel Reading, throughout the whole organisation process I couldn't fault the staff for helping me to tailor the event to suit my needs and they went out of their way to ensure that I had everything I needed for the event to run smoothly.
On the day the conference ran smoothly, all the equipment worked and we were provided with a lovely lunch that make a real change from the standard work offerings of sandwiches.
We followed the conference with a meal at the hotel and I couldn't fault the food, it was lovely.
The venue itself was perfect for this type of event with different areas for delegates to move between and a nice selection of refreshments at each break.
I'd like to give special thanks to Emma Thomas, Ian, Sarah, Jolita and Daniel who were all incredibly helpful and friendly.
I'd definitely use this hotel again for a corporate function. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Thank you so much for your outstanding review! I am delighted to see you and your colleagues had such a good time with us. Thank you for mentioning so many of the team too. They are all delighted to have received the recognition. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you next time.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,537)

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Room was on the smaller side for a double, but quite enough space. Bathroom well appointed, although I think shower only. "Double" bed was two singles zipped together with two single duvets (odd, but fine) and the most pointless pillows I've ever come across (even doubled up, my head was basically on the matress). There was some noticable road noise and music throughout the night too.

Downstairs there's a spacious (if quite dark) lounge/bar/restaurant area. Very "modern" decor style. Breakfast and useful internet access are paid for extras.

Breakfast was however quite impressive - a big selection of cold meats, cheeses, breads, fruits, pastries, pancakes and cooked breakfast - along with a selection of fruit juices and some sparkling wine,

Location wise it's pretty central, however not down the nicest street in town.

Room Tip: Be away from the main road if you are given the option.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Hi Alex. Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am really pleased to see that overall you have had a really positive experience. Just for future information we have a variety of pillows on request to suit all preferences; just let us know next time if you’d like something a little firmer. We do also have a number of bedrooms with baths. Just let us know if that is your preference too and we will do our best to allocate one of those subject to our availability. I’m delighted to see you enjoyed your breakfast. If breakfast isn’t already included in your rate we have a great deal you can make the most of when checking in. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed here on business for 3 nights in March 2014
Impressive foyer and bar area as you come in, and the pool table area was good for some 'team building' one night.
Rooms are ok, but expected better standards.
Food was hit n miss, good meal one night to mediocre the next!
Breakfast buffet very good though.

Positives:
Good for the centre of Reading, esp. The Hexagon which is just around the corner
Breakfast buffet very good
Bar drinks reasonably priced

Could do better:
Food standard (evening meals), a little 'tired', def got the feeling the chef is working to a strict budget! (...rooms were at £477 per night when I booked in!!)
Room tea and coffee looked like they'd been thrown into a drawer and had def not been used or restocked in a while
Lobby toilets, down the stairs and a fair trek, need one in main reception area somewhere
My room was on 4th floor and quite a distance from lift, but could here lift travelling quite clearly all night, what it was like for those nearer the lift I can only imagine!
Room hot, mini fridge (...not necessarily a mini bar) needed

Altogether o
An 'ok' stay
Would I recommend at this rate? Unfortunately, no, might as well go to the cheap cheerful Ibis on Friar St

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Hi Layton Lewis. Thank you so much for your detailed feedback about pentahotel Reading. I really enjoyed reading about the many positive aspects to your stay and am pleased these areas of our business scored highly with you. However I am sorry to see there were some areas you felt we could have done better in. You seem to have quoted an astonishingly high rate and I can only assume this was perhaps wrongly posted? We deliver all the great things that make us a fantastic pentahotel at far, far more competitive rates than that and would urge any travelers to us to check any of the popular booking channels for the latest, most awesome deals! With regards your comments around food I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your second meal and have passed your feedback to our Head Chef. With regards food I would confidently say that we do what we do and do it well, consistently, so I was surprised to see this feedback. Maybe if you are a steak lover try one of our USD prime steaks next time you’re with us – they are just something else! Thank you for your comments about the housekeeping, maintenance and fundamental construction and layout of our hotel. I can assure you that our tea’s and coffee’s in our rooms get checked every day and spot checked by our management team. We have toilets located in two areas directly from our pentalounge and an accessible toilet just behind our reception area so you are never far away from one. Sorry you experienced some disturbance from our lift. Our Engineering team are looking into why this may have been the case. I certainly hope we can welcome you back to the hotel (and certainly on a better rate!) and thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Spent two nights. The feel of the hotel is very chilled out but nothing is lost professionally. Loved the black and white films playing on the wall. Bar is lovely though a little expensive. The room was on the 6th floor. Would have been nice to open to the window more than half an inch

The enormous bed was very comfortable.
Great bathroom and shower.
The hotel is less than 10mins walk into Reading shops and bars

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Sammie. Thank you so much for your review. As a Senior Reviewer your praise is gratefully accepted! I’m so pleased that you like what we do and where we do it. Looking forward to seeing you again next time.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed here for two weeks and it was very nice. Friendly and helpful staff.
The hotel is in a perfect location, you can easily walk to the train station and the shopping center is within walking distance. Food in the hotel is good, and outside there is a great variety of restaurants for every taste. The only pity was the internet in the hotel. Anno 2014 internet is a basic necessity, therefore a hotel must have a fast, good and free internet connection.
Nevertheless highly recommended to stay.

Special thanks to Carmen Linan for her good service and attention!

Sinceramente
Davi'd

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thanks ever so much for your review. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I am glad Carmen in particular ensured you felt exceedingly well looked after! I have made sure that your feedback has been passed to her. I am sorry though that you appeared to have a few challenges with our wireless internet. We have free WiFi and extremely good value super-speed WiFi so let us know when you’re next with us and we’ll ensure you get logged on and you’re getting the connection you need. Thanks for recommending us and see you again soon I hope!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stay at this hotel quite often when I can get it at a reasonable price...the getaway rate on their own website includes breakfast and is very good value. The hotel itself is close to town, approximately a 10 minute walk from the station and close to shops and pubs, but far enough not be affected by drunken revellers wandering past at 3am! The building doesn't look particularly attractive from the outside but if you put this to one side and go through the doors, it's a different world on the inside. The lobby is enormous and very softly lit, with chill out music and large comfy sofas scattered around the bar area. The staff have always been very friendly and helpful whenever I've stayed, and seem happy to help if you want any further guidance on directions or things to do etc.

Once inside the rooms are very large, with possibly the biggest bed I've ever stayed in. More than enough room for two and a real luxury for one! The only downside is that if you get a room that overlooks Reading's main inner distribution road, it can be very noisy, even with the window closed. The room can also be quite hot, so if you think you'll want some fresh air, perhaps stipulate a quiet room when booking and then you'll end up overlooking the inner courtyard. There's an entertainment port on the wall which allows you to connect media to the tv and the free pay tv also comes in handy if you want to watch a film. The bathroom is of a very high standard for this price range of hotel and comes with a little toiletries package as well as a rainfall shower.

If you have booked breakfast, you're in for a treat in the morning. It really is something they do well here, with a large dining area and an excellent selection of food. As well as the classic english items, there's cold cuts of meat, cheese, salmon, fresh bread and yoghurt as well as plenty of fresh juice and even prosecco for those that can face it that early! I love staying at this hotel for a chilled out weekend, and the 3pm checkout on a Sunday is perfect whether you want a lazy day or need to pop out to the shops without carting a suitcase around. I'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Wow! Thank you so much for your highly complementary and detailed review. You really have highlighted so well some of the many aspects of our operation that make us the first choice in Reading for an amazing stay whether for business or pleasure. We look forward to seeing you again for another chilled-out, great stay soon. Thank you again.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here for one night, wasn't expecting much as we only paid £57 and that included breakfast. Very nice room and modern shower room. Bar was cosy although hotel prices. Great for a shopping trip or going to the Rugby like we did.

Room Tip: If you want a bath make sure you ask for one as we were only given a shower.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.