“Good hotel. Nice enviroment and very well located.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of pentahotel Reading

pentahotel Reading
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Brasilia, DF
“Good hotel. Nice enviroment and very well located.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I've been in Reading for training for 15 days. As I was going to be away for a long time, , my wife came along. I requested a quiet room because I’ve read a few reviews complaining about noise. I had no problem related to that! Nor I had problems with bad smells, as someone else wrote on the review. One thing that I couldn’t test was the air conditioning, because it was very cold in Reading, so I didn’t use it.
Since I travel a lot and stay in hotels all the time, I look for 3 things basically: if the bed is comfortable, if the bathroom is clean and has a good shower and breakfast. At Pentahotel, the bed is comfortable, but I had a small problem with the pillow as it is too low for me. The bathroom is clean but the shower is not 100%. I found it a little weak, with little water coming out of it. But nothing that would trouble your bath. The breakfast is good, with good choices. However, as I stayed at the hotel for 15 days, after the first week the coffee started to get repetitive.
The hotel lobby is very warm, unlike another review which said they did not like it. My wife and I liked the decor.
The restaurant is good and has a reasonable price, but as always, is more expensive than restaurants in town.
The hotel location is very good! Very close to The Oracle Mall, and mainly, the Reading Station, which allows for easy transportation to other locations in England.
We had a good time and if we need to return to Reading, we would surely stay at this hotel again. I recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiete room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again soon.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a week attending a course in reading. The location of the hotel in centre of reading is great, very short walking distance to shopping and restaurants. The week i stayed the rooms/hotel where very warm inside (22-24C) , and the aircond didnt help.
The breakfast was ok, very standard english. The free wifi was not good.
A classic business hotel, nothing more, nothing less

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased our location really worked for you but sorry that some other areas could have been better for you. I am surprised with your comments regarding our breakfast offering which I would say is very comprehensive with all the things you would expect to see plus smoked salmon, continental meats and cheeses and even Prosecco to name a few! Hope you get to try us again and hope to WOW you.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I agree with several other reviews, this is a nice hotel but completely let down by an aircon system that does not cool what are very hot rooms. I stayed in room 328 which over looked the dual carriage way so couldn't even leave the window open for the traffic noise. This was a very disappointing and tiring one night stay. I cannot recommend and will not be returning.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Clif. Thank you for your review. I am glad to see that you feel we have a nice hotel but am very sorry that your air conditioning was not effective in your room. We have had an intermittent issue with our air conditioning which I am please dot say is now fully resolved. I would urge you to give us another go and am sure we can deliver the fantastic all round experience you are looking for. Thank you again.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just arrived back after staying for 2 nights during Royal Ascot. Good location and first impressions were good.However the heat in the hotel was beyond a joke, I appreciate we are having some rare warm weather but to find the aircon blew out hot air only was not even funny. I have honestly been in colder saunas. we had 3 rooms booked and not 1 of us managed to get any sleep for 2 nights. what was more frustrating is the fact when I read a review similar last week the management said this problem was now sorted, even when we approached the subject with reception no one seemed interested. We were on the 2nd floor and the temperature in the corridor and lifts were worse still. We spoke to numerous other guests during our stay and everyone was complaining of the same problem yet no one from the hotel appeared to be doing anything about it. Sorry to say will definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone. Could not wait to leave

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Jackie. Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your experience with us due to the air conditioning in your room. We have been subject to an intermittent issue with some rooms which has now been resolved. We have been able to offer numerous solutions to rooms that were not as comfortable as some of our guest’s would have liked and I can assure you that every guest query is treated very seriously and we do whatever we can to resolve any concerns. I am sorry if you did not get this impression and will be addressing this with the personnel this is relevant to. I hope you would get the chance to stay with us again and would urge you to ask for me directly if you do and there is anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable. I am sorry that I didn’t hear from you on this occasion and hope I get to meet you on a future visit where I know we can deliver a great experience for you.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night on business. I was booked in for four nights but the close by car parks have a height restriction of 6ft. The nearest car park that could accommodate was a five minute walk away and costs £14 for 24hrs.
The hotel staff are friendly and accommodating. The hotel certainly has the wow factor but as mentioned in previous reviews the rooms are very hot indeed, I got around this by putting the air con on (which only the blower worked) and opened the window, this did the trick.
Food was to a very good standard. Breakfast was very good indeed, the only hotel were you have the choice of a Buck's Fizz included in the choice.
The hotel is very well placed for town, just wish they had their own car park as I would have enjoyed staying for four nights.

1 Thank colandally
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry to hear that you had a challenge with parking your vehicle. It is rare for our guests to have a vehicle taller than 6ft but please do contact us directly if you are staying with us again and we’ll provide a solution I am sure. Hope to see you again soon.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I came to the pentahotel last year and must say it was pretty good then..oh what a difference a year makes!

When I first got to my room on the first floor my card didnt work..back down and issued a new one. Walking into the roasting room I turned the aircon on and went out for dinner. I came back to find the room at 26 degrees! With the window open. I got about 2 hours sleep and felt very ill the next day.

I complained and got moved to the fourth floor but when asked "where would you like to go" I replied "as long as the aircon works I dont care" to which I got a response of "oh..well I cant promise it will work"

So...do pentahotel not have maintenance..not repair or log broken items??

Surprise surprise its now day 3 of a 4 night stay..air con doesnt work..about 6 hours sleep in total and im really quite ill now because of it (hot cold sweats etc).

Oh..and the breakfast has gone downhill too. Eggs were so hard on monday that I havnt bothered since..rather buy a pastry product from tesco across the road than eat that awful stuff again!

Will be ensuring that my company cancel another 8 nights booked for the rest of the year..think id rather travelodge!

1 Thank newe89
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for your review. My sincere apologies that we have not had the chance to discuss your concerns in person; I would have very much appreciated this opportunity. I have dropped you a note off line as I would like to personally address your concerns and ensure we win you back as a customer that loves what we do.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here on a rare occasion when it was rather hot by English standards. I turned on the air con as the room was boiling as I entered only to find it just blew around hot air and did nothing to cool the room even on its coldest setting. This made for a very hot and sticky unpleasant night. Opening the window was not an option due to road noise from outside. Such a shame because the hotel is really nice and the rooms are excellent, it's just a shame it was let down by a boiling hot room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank barnesy07
Thank you very much for your review. I am ever so sorry you had an issue with your air conditioning. So nice to be having some warmer weather! Engineering have been on to this and we’re right back on track. Hope to see you again soon for a cool experience in every sense of the word.