“7 night stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

pentahotel Reading
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Reading
“7 night stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff, very comfortable bar and lounge area with pool table and playstation. Restaurant was overpriced I thought. Ate out most nights because of this. Air conditioning wasnt working for the duration of my stay, sometimes I was too hot, sometimes I was too cold. Took 2 days to get me an iron and ironing board. Showers are awesome. Beds are huge and really comfortable. Cooked Breakfast was average but also a really good quality spread of breads, fruit, croissants and buns etc. All in all it had a continental feel to the place. Would have liked free wifi and parking.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hi Mark. Thank you for your review. In our restaurant we do have some great prices to suit all pockets. I am very sorry to hear about your air conditioning and will have our engineering team re-review this matter. Usually our ironing boards are delivered in a matter of minutes so I can only apologies for this matter and will be reviewing what happened with the team. We do have free wifi available and have vouchers to redeem a discount at our very local QPark car park. Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed here on a 3 day business trip. Location is near city centre, 10 min walk from railway station, so took a little finding, impression from outside not that impressive. Once through the door however, all is well, helpful staff and everything explained promptly. Unfortunatley only one of the lifts was working so at peak times it was really crowded, when it eventually turned up. The stairs are not an option as they are emergency use only. The food in the restaurant was of good quality and reasonably priced and a good selection available at the buffet breakfast. The bar charged usual hotel prices, the local Wetherspoons was half the price! The rooms are perfectly adequate, a shower room rather than a bath; my room faced the Oxford Rd and although traffic noise could be heard, it was not intrusive. The air con was necessary to keep the room comfortable, and was inaudible on a low setting. Overall quite satisfied, good food and helpful staff. Hopefully the lifts will get fixed!

Room Tip: Mine facing the Oxford Rd was fine. First floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stuart E
Hi Stuart. Thanks very much for taking the time to review us. I am very pleased to see that overall you had a great stay. My apologies for the issue you experienced with the lift. Thank you.
Hailsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel after attending the nearby Henley Regatta. It's a great hotel with a comfortable and contemporary interior. The reception area is large and also acts as a large well stocked bar. Check-in was quick and efficient by friendly staff. My room was on the 1st floor and had a very large comfortable bed, wall mounted flat screen TV, desk and an en-suite bathroom with a rain shower. Had a good nights sleep and the next morning had the breakfast buffet which although delicious, was a bit expensive at £15. I would not hesitate to stay at this great hotel again when I am next in the Reading area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have an early booker option for your breakfast so please make sure you make the most of this when you’re next with us. Thanks again.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Its looks much better than it really is. Great staff, warm rooms and irons that don't work. Not really a hotel for the business traveller ..... but they do try hard. The rooms are good, but avoid the rooms to the side where you have a noisy road

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms next to the busy road
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank David S
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Hi David. Thanks for your review. I’m sorry that one of our iron’s didn’t work for you; we’ll get that sorted. I would be interested to learn more about your comments so please do feel free to contact me at the hotel. I pleased that you feel we try hard and have great staff, so thank you for that!
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I've been in Reading for training for 15 days. As I was going to be away for a long time, , my wife came along. I requested a quiet room because I’ve read a few reviews complaining about noise. I had no problem related to that! Nor I had problems with bad smells, as someone else wrote on the review. One thing that I couldn’t test was the air conditioning, because it was very cold in Reading, so I didn’t use it.
Since I travel a lot and stay in hotels all the time, I look for 3 things basically: if the bed is comfortable, if the bathroom is clean and has a good shower and breakfast. At Pentahotel, the bed is comfortable, but I had a small problem with the pillow as it is too low for me. The bathroom is clean but the shower is not 100%. I found it a little weak, with little water coming out of it. But nothing that would trouble your bath. The breakfast is good, with good choices. However, as I stayed at the hotel for 15 days, after the first week the coffee started to get repetitive.
The hotel lobby is very warm, unlike another review which said they did not like it. My wife and I liked the decor.
The restaurant is good and has a reasonable price, but as always, is more expensive than restaurants in town.
The hotel location is very good! Very close to The Oracle Mall, and mainly, the Reading Station, which allows for easy transportation to other locations in England.
We had a good time and if we need to return to Reading, we would surely stay at this hotel again. I recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiete room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a week attending a course in reading. The location of the hotel in centre of reading is great, very short walking distance to shopping and restaurants. The week i stayed the rooms/hotel where very warm inside (22-24C) , and the aircond didnt help.
The breakfast was ok, very standard english. The free wifi was not good.
A classic business hotel, nothing more, nothing less

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased our location really worked for you but sorry that some other areas could have been better for you. I am surprised with your comments regarding our breakfast offering which I would say is very comprehensive with all the things you would expect to see plus smoked salmon, continental meats and cheeses and even Prosecco to name a few! Hope you get to try us again and hope to WOW you.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I agree with several other reviews, this is a nice hotel but completely let down by an aircon system that does not cool what are very hot rooms. I stayed in room 328 which over looked the dual carriage way so couldn't even leave the window open for the traffic noise. This was a very disappointing and tiring one night stay. I cannot recommend and will not be returning.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Clif. Thank you for your review. I am glad to see that you feel we have a nice hotel but am very sorry that your air conditioning was not effective in your room. We have had an intermittent issue with our air conditioning which I am please dot say is now fully resolved. I would urge you to give us another go and am sure we can deliver the fantastic all round experience you are looking for. Thank you again.