“Modern, sophisicated hotel with good customer service.”
Review of pentahotel Reading

pentahotel Reading
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Right smack bang in the centre of Reading. I couldn’t find any car parking facilities, however there is a multi-storey connected which will cost around £15 for 24 hours. From the outside the hotel could do with some revamping, it looks dated and not exceptionally appealing. It is a pleasant surprise once you enter as the interior is of modern sophisticated design. Rooms are modern but could do with one or two added touches. There isn’t any hot drink facilities along with not having a mirror on the dressing table. The only mirrors are either in the bathroom or on the bathroom door. Large beds which are very comfortable. The lift takes forever to arrive which is a pain as I could find any stairs to go down. One thing that was a negative was the payment of the room. I wanted to pay cash and found that I couldn’t do so without leaving a £50 deposit at reception, even though they had my card details from when I reserved it online. The receptionist told me it was their policy to reserve the money for the room on check-in via a credit or debit card, which means that if you want to pay cash be prepared to leave the deposit, easier to pay on card really. All in all I will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MissJoA
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Jo. Thank you for your review. I am delighted to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry there were a few technicalities which I am looking into. All rooms have tea and coffee facilities in our funky wardrobes. Great to see you’ll be back with us though and look forward to making it as smooth as possible for you.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,588)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Clearly caters to a young clientele but was still adequate for a two day stay. Modern decor, cool vibe made us feel younger. Room was average size, bed very comfortable but foam pillows skimpy, bathroom small but great shower. TV did not work at times. Breakfast was pricey but surprisingly good. WIFI was free. Hard working and helpful staff who simultaneously manage reception, bar, and concierge. Centrally located and good access to everything in town and the train station. So overall a clean, comfortable and funky place to stay especially if you are young and hip or just feel that way.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. Some nice comments about us! Looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed at the end of June 2014

Lovely decorated spacious hotel with everything you could ask for - i.e My boyfriend enjoyed the playstation and pool table.

The rooms were one of the best I've seen with the comfiest bed and lovely shower supplies.

The only downfall would be the lack of enthusiasm from some of the bar/ reception staff and that the bar and reception were combined as one. Also no free parking so public transport is the way forward.

However the food was still lovely, the vibe was relaxing and chilled and you most certainly got your money's worth. I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jodie853

Dear Jodie. Thank you for your review. Sorry that some of the team weren’t on their top form; they’re usually a very enthusiastic bunch! However I’m glad you liked us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was a great place to stay as we went to Henley regatta, one night in the town. Rooms basic, trendy, very clean with nice BIG bed.
The only thing is the parking, I hate carrying my stuff from a car park (it's was a 5 minute walk that's all) but that's my only negative.
They need some lights on downstairs, it's a bit Dim for my liking, and pls get a full length mirror in the ladies.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank stacy w

Thank you for your review. I must admit the title of your review intrigued me.. I am very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. Please feel free to use the drop-off area at the front of the hotel for any luggage in future. Any of the team would be happy to help. Thanks again and hope to see you again soon!
James Gardiner

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Style over substance
Off site car park @ £5 per day, even for guests
My recent stay was at a rate of £110 per night
This was clearly not designed for business travellers, but they couldn't turn away such a lucrative market.
No ironing facilities in the room
Free Internet was open and speed was terrible
Had to pay extra for high speed
Aircon was ineffective
They had a console to plug your device to the TV, but no cables. Who walks around with AV cables.
My queen size bed had 2 individual 'single' duvets. Who does that?
Personally I have an issue with bars of soap. Even after a week stay you've barely dented the thing. These guys had the thickest bar I've ever seen.
They don't have ice machines so I have to call down for some. When I asked for a bucket of ice I didn't mean a literal 4hrs bucket (metal pail) of ice.
The breakfast was Ok-ish. At least the continental bit, but the hot stuff wow. The scrambled egg was more sculpted egg and the sausages looked pitiful.
Don't get me wrong the place is alright, but I object to paying hilton rates for a holiday inn experience.
I'm sure they were trying to be trendy when they got their staff to all wear Brazil football shirts, an ode to the world cup. May look good in the evening when everyone's looking to cut loose, but at breakfast these poor girls just look like they're doing the walk of shame

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. I am very sorry for the areas you feel we could have performed better in and will be addressing these with your feedback as a valuable tool. There clearly appears to be parts of our brand that didn’t work for you and I am very sorry for this. We try to be different in a cool, informal way and this is loved by many of our new and regular customers. I hope you give us another go and feel free to give us a shout during your stay with anything that would make it more comfortable for you as we would love the opportunity to make you a fan of what we do.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights 3rd - 5th July.
Pleasent efficient staff on duty on check in, very helpful and informative.
This was our first visit to Reading. Good first impression of the area, due to Penthotel and we really liked the town.
Enjoyed a day in Henley - on -Thames, which is only half an hour by train.

Thank you to all the lovely staff. This is a really lovely Hotel and we would definitely be happy to stay here again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rita. Thank you for your lovely review. I was delighted to read about your stay with us. Looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

A reception area that looks like a night club bar. No non-smoking rooms so had to face the stench of smoke. An iron that had to be requested twice, finally arrived at 10:30pm and didn't work. Expensive menu so didn't eat there (possibly a mistake given where I did go). Staff ok. Decor reasonable.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that there were issues with your stay and will be addressing these accordingly. Only a small fraction of our rooms are ‘smoking’ and I am sorry that you were allocated one of these and would have been delighted to do whatever we could to move you on request. Please do try our food next time you’re with us; you won’t be disappointed! Thank you.