“Funky hotel”
Review of pentahotel Reading

pentahotel Reading
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Booked to stay just one night, easy to find not quite sure about reception area as it is just a bar/ club type entrance so not a typical hotel reception. Staff very friendly, all basic amenities, tea/coffee etc in room. Bathroom really good, comfy beds and quiet a/c. Room décor totally hideous, a mix of floral, stripes, spots, mirrors, contemporary, and not enough light where needed, state of walls and curtains a little tired and in need of a bit of care but overall v nice. Food in bar very good, breakfast more than enough variety although if you want bacon, be quick it goes fast!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Anna, Thanks very much for your review. I’m sorry you weren’t a big fan of our room décor but pleased to see you enjoyed what we do overall. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,537)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at the Pentahotel on July 19th so that we could attend a local wedding and reception. The hotel we ideally situated for travel around Reading and the room was good value for money, exceeding our expectations. We welcomed the fresh, calm and most importantly, cool room, that greeted us when we returned from the function, hot, tired and ready for a good night's sleep. The hotel delivered what we had paid for, the beds were comfortable and the rooms spacious. The shower was a welcomed treat and the bathroom was immaculate. There is no parking at the hotel but you can park just down the road and you're given a voucher to reduce the rate, that is my only criticism, perhaps the parking should be free for paying guests. Breakfast was not included but as we were departing very early, this wasn't an issue. I would have expected breakfast if we were staying for a longer more laid back experience. Overall, great value, clean and well situated. Friendly staff and comfortable accommodation. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

If you like cool and relaxed hotels then this is for you! Plenty of casual sofas around a large reception/bar area and well priced drinks. The room was fine -huge bed and clean. Nice bathroom with lovely toiletries. The only real negative was the reception area. Receptionist greeted us (it was her first day on the job) and when she couldn't remember how to do something the trainer (assuming head receptionist) was extremely rude to her and during check-in walked off and left her on her own. If the new receptionist had any sense it would have been her only day on the job! Sadly as I work in he industry this left me with a very sour taste. Other staff that we encountered were fine, although none went particularly out of the way to be friendly or helpful. If you're not overly worried about service and just want a decent, funky hotel then I would recommend.

Room Tip: Our room over looked the front of the hotel and was perfectly quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. Your experience with us is everything and I am sorry that there were elements of the service you encountered that were way off the mark from our normal, friendly, helpful approach. There were some exceptional circumstances around the time you checked in with us but there is no excuse for your experience and is not your issue. Please be reassured that measures have been implemented directly from your feedback. I am pleased to say that we have a new, rising star that is staying with us and we are ensuring are nurtured into being a fantastic penta-person. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have stayed here for 2 nights Monday and Tuesday (July 14 and 15) and It was really nice and very classy, the room was colorful, the aircon was ok, and breakfast food was really good, and the boy who is in the till on breakfast was very kind and welcoming (he is not english, maybe he is thailander) but knows how to speak english well, although when I asked some of his colleague to get some brown bread they can't understand it and dont know how to speak english.

My only complaint is the language barrier within your other staff.

In total, it was all good

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased to see that overall you had a great stay with us. I am however sorry that there was some confusion during your breakfast and clearly some misunderstanding around the brown bread. A good command of the English language is important to us so your comment will be fed back to the appropriate head of department to deal with. Thank you again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Living in London, myself and a few friends visited Nirvana spa in Reading a few years back and decided on becoming memebers after we liked it so much, Upon visiting with my fiance last year we discovered Pentahotel.
Pentahotel is such a lovely stay and never fails to deliver. The price is reasonable, and being in the heart of the city centre it also has a nice bar which brings a lot of outside crowd. The receptionists are friendly, and checkout time is also good being 12-1pm.
Penta Hotel has become our reading local and we would always recommend anybody to stay there.

1  Thank LoukPou
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I was delighted to read about your experience with us. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed July 3-5, 2014

Good:
1. Comfortable bed
2. Quiet at night
3. Clean room

Bad:
1. WiFi does not work. Spoke to front desk, who connected me with "tech support" by phone. They manually allocated additional bandwidth for my phone (by IP address). That worked for the remainder of the night but the problem returned the next day, despite tech support having told me that they would fix my issue for the remainder of my stay (3 days ).
2. Television has lost signal every night of my stay. The first night this happened was during a World Cup match. Front desk said the whole hotel was out, even at the bar where many patrons had been watching. 2nd night was 15 minutes before the end of a movie we were watching.
3. Lifts out of service. Redirected to the service lifts, which smell like the inside of a rubbish skip.
4. Shower design makes it impossible not to get water all over the floor.
5. A/C is weak.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased to see the good points you have rated us on. I was however sorry to see there were parts of your experience with us that didn’t go so well for you. My apologies that you had challenges with your WiFi and will be picking this up with our provider. I am extremely sorry that there was an issue with your TV which has now been fully resolved. We have been offering an alternative lift and staircase while we carry out work to one of our lifts to make it as superb as possible. I am sorry that this experience was not a positive one and we have made adjustments to our processes to ensure that there is not a repeat of the issues you have described. I am sorry that the design of the shower didn’t work for you. We always provide as many towels as you would like to help catch any little splashes. You’re A/C should have been fine but this will be investigated and resolved as an unfortunate but isolated issue. My apologies. Thanks again for all your feedback. I hope some of the gripes you experienced would not deter you from using us again and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed here for one night and found the stay to be very disappointing. When booking the hotel you feel you are getting a great deal in a modern and '4 star' hotel...you arrive and realise that this is not the case! More like a bar come hostel

We arrived at around 5pm and finally checked in at 5.50pm. The reason for this was due to leaving a new member of staff alone on the reception desk, on her first day. How unprofessional.

The reception area is quite confusing as the hotel bar is part of the reception desk it is also very dark and dowdy! Turning into a dance floor with disco lights by 10pm!

The room was ok, decoration left very much to own opinion with various colours and styles throughout making it look as if the designers couldn't make their mind up. After seeing reviews about air con I was very worried but air con worked great for us and room was a good temperature throughout our stay.

Bathroom was ok, apart from the antiseptic smelling half used free toiletries. Luckily we don't depend on these but if you normally do I would suggest you bring your own to this hotel.

The bed, if you are booking a double room and want to have two single beds pushed together and have two single duvets then this is going to be a perfect stay for you. We did not enjoy that experience at all and found it hard to get a good nights sleep.

We will definitely not be staying here again, very very disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Nicola. Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry that there are certain aspects to our brand that did not work for you. We do indeed have a shiny new team member starting with us who is going to be another exceptional addition to the penta team. She was with one of our most senior staff on shift who had been momentarily called away to look after another guest. I am sorry that this impacted on your check-in experience. I am also sorry to hear about your toiletries. They should have been perfect and this is being picked up with our housekeeping team. We have some of the most comfortable beds in the business and our massive beds with their crisp linen are generally extremely popular and incredibly difficult to leave in the morning! I am sorry that they weren’t to you liking. I am sorry we disappointed you but hope we get the chance to welcome you again for a great experience that get’s off to a great start.