“Excellent Hotel, Great location & good value.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of pentahotel Reading

pentahotel Reading
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Reading
Glasgow
“Excellent Hotel, Great location & good value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

Stayed here for a friends wedding, location was great, hotel was spotlessly clean and beds were very comfy.
Bottle of water and great toiletries in room were also a nice touch.
Breakfast buffet was very well stocked with great selection of hot & cold foods.
Friendly and accomodating staff.
Great hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AClarkGlasgow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

I spend considerable time in this design hotel every week. The hotel is very unique inside, disco light balls on the ceiling are not rare sights within. The rooms are very nice, complementary mineral water, in every room the paytv is free and so is the wireless internet. The gym is somewhat small with limited weights but what is worse is the low ceiling. The breakfast is very nice, ranging from the classics to the typical English treats like black pudding and beans. The staff is extremely nice. Highly recommended

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

We had a plesant shock as we walked through the doors into the open plan bar and reception area. It was clean, funky (with its disco ball) and welcoming. The room was likewise clean, more like a Scandinavian hotel than an English one. The bed was massive, and I mean massive! The shower is a rain type, with the option for the regualr variety, with a lovely selection of toiletries. The room is modern, bright, and welcoming. The kettle etc was hidden in a drawer, and just curiosity revealed it.
The bar with its cow-skin sofas, relaxing music and excellent service finished the day off wee.
We stayed for a Saturday night for £56 B&B, with breakfast being very high quality for both continental and British.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

My husband and i stayed in the Penta after it was recommended by a family member. My husband had just returned from a tour of duty and we decided a night away from our little baby would be nice. When we arrived at the hotel we were told that to check in with cash, we needed to have over a refundable £25 per head deposit, with limited funds we couldn't do this but seeing my husband is a serving soldier, just returned from duty the manager waived the deposit in a bid to "give our heroes a break". We were surprised and grateful for this and the statement as some hotels would rather turn a soldier away than have them stay. It was refreshing to see such support.
The room was amazing,i understand that the hotel was refurbished in the last few years, the bathrooms were AMAZING and the rain shower is wonderful! At £56 for the night bed and breakfast, it was brilliant. The breakfast the following morning was delicious. With such a variety of choice from continental to cereals to full english. Off hotel carparking was secure and very cheap. The hotel in smack in the middle of Reading town centre. I don't have a bad word to say about this hotel. Only make sure if you're checking in with cash to budget for a £25 per head deposit which will be returned to you in the morning.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

We selected the Penta after searching numerous other 'over-priced' hotels in the Reading area. The Penta offered the best deal, although we were apprehensive about what we would get for our money. Put bluntly, the hotel is adjacent to a less than salubrious area, and we observed several dubious characters (mostly under the influence) and in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, although none caused us any difficulties. Parking immediately outside the hotel is limited, although there is an arrangement with a nearby Car Park where parking is available at £8 per day (£2 between 3 pm and 10 am). That said, the hotel itself was a pleasant surprise, and is within walking distance of Reading's main shopping centre, and the Oracle. All the staff we had dealings with were very pleasant and helpful. The reception area is open plan and contemporary in design, clean and airy. Likewise, the rooms were of a modern contemporary design, clean and reasonably well equipped. Storage and hanging space is limited, but the bed was very large and comfortable, and the shower room of a good size too. Rooms had tea and coffee, flat screen TV, air conditioning, and free limited internet access (fast broadband is available at extra charge). We had no complaints about the accommodation, and on the one occasion we had to request room service, this was efficient and friendly. The biggest positive for us, was breakfast. It is self service, but provides a very comprehensive selection of produce to start your day, and was certainly value for money. Everything from cereals, cold platter, fresh fruit juices and yogurts, and various breads, through to full cooked breakfast, is available. Overall, we had a very good stay at the Penta, and would certainly use it again if visiting Reading.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
caerphilly
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

I stay at the Penta on average once per week.
Check in can sometimes be a little slow, but the wait really is worth it!
The bar has a trendy laid back vibe, however i have no issue sitting alone to enjoy a glass of wine
The house Merlot really is great!
The food is simple, not a great deal of choice on the menu, but is extremely well executed. The Butternut Squash Soup and the Caesar Salad are really good!
The rooms are a good size, with great bathrooms with a shower big enough for two.
The King beds are Huge...with two seperate duvets, genuis idea!
Great size TV with free movies and loads of channels.
The gym is very basic, no pool and not a great deal of equipment, but just enough to get an hour of cardio in.
Breakfast is pricey but amazing. You can have a variety of cereals, fruits, Yogherts, cold meats and cheeses...Cooked breakfast, Pancakes and Maple syrup and a selection of pastries. Just help yourself!
To Summarise, Great hotel, large beds and rooms, good food...if you can get it under £100 with breakfast..Go for it!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2010

My 83-year-old dad and I traveled to Reading from the U.S. for the second time this year. We needed to take care of matters related to my deceased uncle's estate. We stayed at the Penta again this time, as we did when we came to Reading for my uncle's funeral a few months ago. We plan to stay here at the Penta again in the immediate future.

The incredible staff is what makes this hotel stand out from all of the others!

When we arrived at the Penta early in the day, our rooms were not ready yet. Apparently, our confirmation from hotels.com had somehow not gotten through to the Reading Penta. Aneta at the front desk patiently explained everything, and told us that we would have to wait a bit for our rooms. However, due to some issues with housekeeping, we waited in the lobby an inordinate amount as our rooms were being cleaned. Aneta apologized profusely for the delay, and offered us breakfast "on the house" while we waited for our rooms.

Overall, I have to say that Aneta really made our stay quite pleasant, under the circumstances. For the entire week of our stay, Aneta always had a cheery disposition and she was always ready to help with whatever we needed--whether it was calling a cab for us or providing us with local area information.

Damian at the front desk was a knight in shining armor. He always seemed to be at the ready, but I never thought I'd need him for anything until the one night that I "lost" my cell phone at a nearby restaurant. I can't say enough about how helpful, considerate, and understanding Damian was as he helped me with my cell phone situation. Needless to say, my cell phone was eventually "found", but I will never forget how Damian pulled out all the stops and assisted me.

The only real negative experience was in the hotel restaurant one evening. It was late, and my dad and I decided to just stay in the hotel and eat dinner there instead of venturing out. I can't say how long we waited for our dinner, but the excessive wait was embarrassing to me, my dad, and even the waitress. After waiting so long for our dinner, we decided to have dessert, though. Yet again, we waited so long that, at one point, the waitress offered to just have our dessert delivered to our room since it was taking so long in the kitchen. I don't know what the problem was, but it was clear that the waitress was as upset as we were!

As an aside, I do agree with other tripadvisor.com posters about the close proximity of the hotel to a highway, and the noise that is generated from the cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc. It seems that the builder of the hotel may have skimped on sound-proofing, but I will ask for rooms located on the other side of the hotel from the highway for our next stay. This is an easy solution for those tripadvisor.com posters that complain about the noise. Of course, others have stayed at the Reading Penta and not been bothered by the highway noise at all, even when staying in the rooms by the highway. We all have our preferences.

I will go back to the Reading Penta again and again, as often as I am in Reading. There really is no other hotel in Reading even worth considering, because I do not think that any hotel in the area can beat the Penta staff. They truly are noteworthy!

• Stayed April 2010