“functional place to stay”
Review of pentahotel Reading

pentahotel Reading
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Reading
London, United Kingdom
“functional place to stay”
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Had an absolute nightmare on my first night here. All is forgiven following the manager Andrew contacting me and resolving the issues.
I stayed on a Friday, the atmosphere was great in the lobby and the male receptionist was excellent and very good at his job.
The only disappointment is the room. The design is very Ikea, very shiny and this removes from the comfort of the stay. Bright orange hangers and huge paisley prints do feel like a bit 'argos'. In a hotel I always feel you want to be comfortable and relaxed not blinded by the furniture.
The room service is only 6pm to 11pm which I found a little disappointing. This is not a cheap hotel and considering the price charged for a room normally I would have expected longer hours of room service and also a mini bar.
however, the place serves a purpose well.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2011

The hotel, despite a nondescript exterior, is pretty cool and funky inside. Rooms are a good size, great shower size too. Beds and tv are lareg and luxe - but the traffic noise.....! My room faced the A329 and it kept me awake all night. The aircon didnt work properly in both rooms I had (after moving once I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of moving again). A quiet room with working aircon, I'd rate it between 4 and 5, but without, it's a 3 at the very best I'm afraid.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank FamilyH68
reading, england
Reviewed 16 February 2011

So I know its Reading! I don't live far from there.
It was a spur of the moment stay over after dinner out and onto the bars.
Seriously this hotel is a million miles away from when it used to be the Ramada hotel.
You enter into a funky reception/bar area with disco ball, drapes and cowskinned chairs, chic not tacky.
The staff were very friendly and professional. Quick check in and asked for a bucket of ice and 2 champagne glasses which arrived promptly to the room.
The rooms are a good size with an enormous king size bed. Nice wall mounted tv and plush walk in shower with all the funky toiletries u would expect from such a hotel.

If you need a hotel in Reading, dont spend a fortune at Malmaison or the Forbury when Penta can compete at half the price!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
leicester
Reviewed 2 February 2011

This hotel was much better than I expected, it is really something a bit special in Reading. What is a drab building on the outside is forgotten the moment you walk into the cool reception and bar area I found the staff fun and attentive, the food I had was great - it was the best ceasar salad ever and there was a fab choice at breakfast. The bedrooms are a great size and are both clean and fresh, the beds are huge which was a bonus when my 3 year old insisted on spending the night in it too!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ShopaholicLeicester
Reviewed 21 January 2011

I actually don't live far from this hotel and have been to the bar previously when out in Reading so couldn't wait to stay there.
I managed to get a bargain rate which coincided with a friend's party in Reading so chose to stay there instead of trying to get home. What an amazing night!
From the moment I arrived, the check in staff were lovely, friendly and helpful - a couple of friends were dropping by on the way to the party so they said to let them know if we needed an ice bucket or glasses. Such a nice touch and genuinely interested in my visit and making sure I had the best experience possible.

The room was phenomenal, beautifully modern and stylish, with a flatscreen TV that even displayed a fireplace scene for that romantic touch. As for the toiletries, they were amazing and probably the best I've ever had in a hotel in the UK.

Breakfast was a breeze and being a German chain included a lot of continental favourites which aren't often featured in the breakfast buffet in UK hotels.
I've stayed in the Renaissance before and while that was a classic quality hotel, this rebrand has given it a modern, funky edge, which made me feel right at home and I preferred it now to how it was (this may just be an age thing!)
It's so convenient for the town centre and if you can get a good rate it is definitely worth the bit extra than budget ones like Travelodge just to experience the beauty of this place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2010

I recently stayed in the Penta hotel Reading and thought it worth sharing my experience as I often use others reviews when searching for a hotel to stay in.

On arrival at the hotel I had to wait for nearly 5 minutes before the one lady at the desk had dealt with others customers. It soon became apparent that my booking had been entered into the system incorrectly. Once this minor issue was fixed I proceeded to my room only to find the entry card did not work. This happened twice during my stay and was shrugged off as "one of those things" by the man on reception..

I tried to call reception and room service. These numbers were permenantly engaged. Not the kind of service I expect from a four star hotel.

I also tried to use the gym one evening..... A tiny room with half a dozen dirty machines in various states of disrepair. Sweaty salt residue looked like it had never been cleaned off the seats on some of the machines. The water machine was also empty.....

The actual room itself was of a reasonable standard in terms of decor but my overall experience was one of disapointment. I will be staying at other 4 star hotels in the area going forward.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Rotherham
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights due to business. And writing this review whilst stay at the hotel...as the service and the prices in the evening resturant is a complete rip off. Heres the story ordered main course and waited 30 mins + for a salmon main course (had to remind staff I had ordered) when recd the main course it didn't exactly represent main course portions...more of a large starter. Wiated another 30 mins plus for dessert then when I recd bill found I had been charged for a side order that should have been included as standrad, had I not noticed I would have been charged an extra £3.

Best advice walk out of the hotel turn right...and then turn right onto the 1st side street, and there is ASK, La Tasca and Pizza Express. Although the food is really nice at the hotel, its over priced,...and you'll wait forever for your food to arrive.

Rooms are the one saving bonus for this hotel and the only reason i would stay again...big, clean, big TV, etc.My room was quiet but didn't face onto the ring road. Location wise 10 mins walk from train station and easy to find.

Breakfast buffett is standard...lots of choice, but food is not piping hot..my work payed for breakfast but from previous reviews on here I believe they charge around £15 for breakfast....don't pay it...theres loads of places to go to in Reading were you could get a hot, decent breakfast for less than half the price.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business