“The only hotel for me”

Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I've been in hotels around the world and this is one of the best I've ever stayed in.

The staff are so friendly and welcoming and went out of there way to come and chat. No problem to big.

I didn't fancy any of the food on the menu and I asked the question "can you make something else for me" and it was made.

I like it that the general manager takes time in this day to come and talk to his guest. I've never know it anywhere else. They also did a night where we could meet all the managers.

I will be coming back again. Thank you all for a great stay :-)

Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Jed B
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review, and your great comments about our friendly and welcoming team. I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed as a family of 4 at this hotel on the 28th of Sept for one night following a day trip to legoland. The hotel itself was quite nice and the food was ok, but what surprised me the most was how helpful and lovely the staff were, I asked for a jug to warm the baby's bottle at night and first thing in the morning and so I was given a wine cooler to use during the stay.
Also unfortunately during the night my daughter was unwell in the room, a member of housekeeping came and quickly cleaned up and brought a new bed and bedding and the next day the lady on reception made a point of asking my daughter if she felt better.
Evening meal was ok, breakfast was better. The hotel is ok to find with a sat nav, a good place to stay for the night.
We didn't get to use the facilities but some nice touches like a dvd area with milk and cookies for the kids and colouring sheets with the kids menus.

Room Tip: Our room was 317 and very spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

As the General Manager of the hotel, I was particularly pleased to read your comments about our friendly and helpful staff.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back on some future occasion.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I won't lie. I'm not a Holiday Inn kind of a girl. Shocking I know, right? There's just something about them that seems to attract lecherous men away on business that really puts me off. Can't abide the old fashioned styling and gaudy green either. However, as the whole of the World had descended on Reading for the night that I wished to stay, I had no choice other than to swallow my ever so slightly snobbish pride and stay.

I booked 1 night bed and breakfast in a standard room while staying in the area for business. I booked this via a travel agency who I always use to book and pay for my rooms, otherwise I'd be more broke than a broken thing waiting for my expenses to come through. Bear with me... this is significant regarding my review of the hotel.

It's not the easiest place to find. Your Sat Nav, if not updated regularly, throws a hissy fit and even when on the right route there is a moment where you do think you're heading off in the wrong direction. There aren't any of the usual brown signs to give you the reassurance of knowing the Holiday Inn is nearby either.

Parking was fairly easy and there seems to be plenty of spaces. I arrived about 9.30pm, rather tired from a hectic week and from a 4 hour drive and hauled my luggage to reception which was... empty. I could hear people chatting behind reception. but was left standing there for a good few minutes until a staff member appeared. The check in process was straightforward...until she asked for payment. I explained that the room was pre-paid. I was informed it was not. I showed the receptionist my confirmation of booking and was promptly told this is just a confirmation email and not a receipt of payment. I tried explaining that the agency always pre pay my room and that it must be a hotel admin error? To no avail. I was then left in a situation of trying to get hold of the agency out of hours, and also getting an alternative form of payment as I certainly didn't have the funds while standing at reception without access to my room.

I eventually had to get emailed payment via my boss in order to get into my room (the process took about half an hour) , and was assigned room 126 on the ground floor. I later discovered that the Agency HAD emailed through the payment form to a staff member called Laura that very afternoon and received a receipt for payment, yet it had not been shown as paid. To me, considering this is clearly a hotel that caters for business travellers and must be used to such payment methods, is unacceptable and a sign of poor communication and staff training.

The room itself was spacious and clean. A full length mirror and a smaller mirror near the TV. Terribly dated though, and definitely a business travellers room. So, considering they cater for business people, tell me WHY they charge a ridiculous amount for Wifi? In this day an age too. Not even limited free wifi in public areas. Shocking! Not too many power sockets either so bring an extension lead with extra sockets attached so you can cater for your stuff and also ensure the phone can be by your bed and charging (no bedside plug sockets I'm afraid!)

The room had an empty fridge for personal use, an ironing board and iron, TV, and two pillows labelled soft and hard. There was a leaflet listing the variety of pillows you could ask for by contacting reception if you wanted something different. Well that was the LAST thing I felt like doing so I figured I'd be ok with either one of these? Oh how wrong I was! The hard pillow was too hard, and the soft pillow was too soft. I appreciate this is sounding a tad 'Goldilocks and the Three Bears' but it was true! By now I was too tired to care so proceeded with my bedtime bath.

The bathroom was bright but old fashioned with a cheap plastic bath with shower over the bath and an annoying shower curtain. Two sets of towels which was good. I ran the bath. Despite messing with the temperature control, the bath remained lukewarm. Not very relaxing. The shower the next morning was also set at lukewarm regardless of what I did to increase the temperature. Perhaps there is a boiler issue? Oh, and no shower cap. The only time I needed one too.

I slept badly. The room was quiet, however the bed was all firm and I could feel the coils of the springs (or maybe the nails of the bed of nails that was under the mattress?) Now I sound like The Princess And The Pea. But if you cannot hope for a restful night's sleep then it's not good in my eyes.

Breakfast was a usual buffet style with hot and cold options. You could also order porridge and omelettes off the chef. I ordered an egg white omelette and it arrived fairly quickly. I couldn't tell you much more about breakfast as I was distinctly average. You won't starve.

To summarise, this is a hotel for business travellers and workmen. If you are a female traveller you will not wish to spend much time in public areas of the hotel without feeling like you are being eyed up. It's basic, it's old fashioned, it doesn't seem to know what it is doing when it comes to pre-paid rooms and it thinks charging silly money for wifi is a good idea. Well it isn't, and I won't be returning. Sorry. This all reinforces my dislike of Holiday Inn hotels.

1  Thank Vanessa B
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. As the General Manager of the hotel, I was very sorry to learn of your experiences, and I would like to offer my sincere apologies.

I have attempted to contact you by telephone, but have unfortunately been unable to reach you. I would be most grateful if you could contact me on 0118 987 0491, or email reading@ihg.com.

In the meantime, pleased be assured that I will be speaking with the relevant departments and employees to ensure that your experiences are not repeated in the future.

Thank you again for highlighting these matters, and I do hope to be able to speak with you in due course.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed on business. Just an average business hotel. No lift but did offer to carry bags to room. Had evening meal in Bar which was tasty. Breakfast choice good and friendly service. Only downside was hotel charge for WiFi which is much more expensive than similar hotels and which is free in HI express.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

It was great to read about the friendly service you received, and that you enjoyed your Bar Food and Breakfast.

Regarding the Internet, IHG Properties are now offering free internet in all hotels to all loyalty programme members (IHG Rewards Club). This started on 1st July 2013 for Elite members and will be extended to all members during 2014.

Thank you again for your comments, and we do hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here recently when working nearby. It's handy for the motorway and just on the outskirts of Reading. The place is looking a bit tired and worn (or has a shabby eighties chic depending on your point of view). But even if it is a bit past its best, It is spotlessly clean throughout. The staff in the evening when I checked in were a bit grumpy, the staff in the morning were really efficient and friendly. Be warned, some of rooms are a long way from reception - a very long way, this place is labyrinthine.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a long way from reception/bar/restaurant, so if you have problems walking long distan...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I was pleased to read that you found us to be in a convenient location, and your great comments about the cleanliness of the hotel.

Thank you also for highlighting areas that could be improved, and I am sorry to read that we may have been let down by some members of the team. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss these matters with you further, and would be grateful if you could send your contact details to reading@ihg.com.

Your feedback is very important to us, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as I was presenting a seminar in their academy for a bank. Service in the restaurant was first class, and the food was really lovely. They have recently, according to Antonio one of their managers, trialled a special healthy menu for delegates at their academy including "brain" food (nuts pulses etc.) and also superb fish and lean meat dishes. If this proves popular it will be rolled out to all Holiday Inns. All I can say is that the food was great! The facilities for the seminar were also very good.

Special mention for Antonio again and Liz at the academy - very helpful & accommodating.

Room Tip: This is a large Holiday Inn - if you have lots of luggage you may have a long walk to your room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay, and that you were impressed with our new food offering in our Meeting Rooms.

Thank you also for your kind comments about Antonio and Liz, I have shared your review with them with thanks.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Visited the hotel over the weekend. This is a old design holiday inn . The building is not tinney or like a flat back hotel. The rooms area good size and most are away from the noise of the hotel. Rooms clean to a high standard. The staff here are very friendly and very efficient. Theres plenty of staff also available during my stay.
If you have stayed at the other hotel near winnersh then you more than likely wont like it. The is an old style hotel and no plastic an modern

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review.

As the General Manager of the hotel, I was particularly pleased to read your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room, and that our team are so friendly, efficient and welcoming.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Mark Ind

Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Hilton Reading
Hilton Reading
#2 of 31 in Reading
Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10
Novotel Reading Centre
Premier Inn Reading Central Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11? Share your experiences!