“A Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Reading
leicestershire
“A Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Just stayed for 2 nights, Friday & Saturday. From the time we checked in how very pleasant and attentive all members of staff were including Maggie & Glenda in the restaurant and Laura on the desk. The rooms are slightly dated but were clean, bathroom small but adequate. We used the pool every day of our stay which again could do with a facelift, especially the suana which was quite small in the ladies area not sure about the mens. Perhaps think about having a joint one on the next revamp as it is good to sit with your partner and not on your own. The main feature was the new menu that had been launched the night before we arrived and it was fantastic, we had the steak & beef rib was was excellent, starter & dessert equally as good. Overall a great stay just missed the 5 stars due to perhaps needing a refurbishment.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read your comments about our friendly and attentive team, and have passed on my thanks to the individuals mentioned.

Thank you also for highlighting areas that you feel could be improved, and I would like to assure you that your comments have been taken on board.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Mark Ind

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a large company booking. Checkin had a young lady attending the queue and talking to guests. She tried making polite conversation and offered me a glass of wine on arrival. A nice touch I thought even though I don't drink. Checkin was fairly smooth and was in my room in no time.
What surprised me was that there was NO free wifi . Hilton offer free wifi in the lounge, village offer free wifi, premier inn offer 30 minutes free and most chains are now offering free wifi but not holiday Inn! For this reason alone I would not stay again.
Room was clean and tidy but very basic, a cold feeling room which felt more like a travelodge room than what it is supposed to be a 3/4 star hotel.
Staff encountered seemed friendly enough throughout the hotel which was good to see.
Breakfast was good and very much like other hotel breakfasts.
I am pleased I was only here one night, no issue with the staff as mentioned previously but NO free wifi is a problem and a cold feeling room is not what you want on a winters night.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

It was great to read that you found the staff to be friendly and welcoming, and that you enjoyed your breakfast.

I was sorry to read that you may have had an issue with the heating in your room, and I would like to offer my sincere apologies. Should you experience a problem of this nature in the future, please do not hesitate to contact a member of the team, who will be very pleased to assist.

Regarding the Internet, IHG Properties are now offering free internet in all hotels to all loyalty programme members (IHG Rewards Club). This started on 1st July 2013 for Elite members and will be extended to all members during 2014. Please do not hesitate to speak with a member of the team on Reception for further information.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in due course.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Average business hotel very close to the M4 junction 11 and the various links therein. The hotel is pleasant enough in the public areas if a bit corridor in nature in the bar and restaurant areas. The attached pub offers a different atmosphere but is a bit sterile in nature without a pub feel really.

The rooms are constructed down huge corridors that take a long time to walk if you need to go from one end to the other. The room I had was very small and just about clean enough to not complain.

The staff are very keen to please and inquire as to your contentment frequently.

Overall not great but nothing specific to complain about.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experiences with us.

As the General Manager of the hotel, I was pleased to hear your positive feedback regarding the staff and service that you encountered.

I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding areas that you feel could be improved. Customer feedback forms a vital part of our business and it is through constructive comments such as yours that we are able to strive to improve the service we offer guests in all hotels in the InterContinental Group.

Should you wish to discuss any matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0118 987 0491.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back on some future occasion.

Diss, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed here overnight due to a business meeting.
I had read some poor reviews so was pleasantly surprised on arrival.
Reception, Bar and Dining staff were very friendly and polite, all meals were good and there was a good choice at breakfast and dinner, though the coffee could be improved. The Bed was a little firm and the bathroom small, also the wifi was expensive, but the room was well lit and had tea and coffee making facilities.
I didn't get the chance to sample the pool, but it seemed well attended. I had no problem with room noise. I arrived from Reading station which was a £10 taxi ride away.

Room Tip: I was in room 130, which looked inwards towards the pool, so no noise from the car park.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Hotelaholic63,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Overall the hotel was good. Some guests were noisy on coming in during the early hours, but that's not the hotel's fault. Clean, comfy beds excellent service. We stayed two nights so we could attend a wedding nearby. Staff were courteous and helpful. Just after we booked in we decided to go to the bar for a cup of tea, the prices were extortionate £3.05p for a cup of tea or coffee, everything else was dearer, we could have had a drink in our room but decided to go to the bar instead, big mistake. As this hotel is just off the M4 we decided to have breakfast on the first morning. Granted the hotel was very reasonably priced but we paid £14.95p per person for breakfast, which to be honest was nothing to write home about. I only had fruit juice cereal and a piece of toast with tea so feel it was a rip off. My husband had a full English which was not very warm. Will make sure next time of the prices before ordering food, beverages etc.

Room Tip: All rooms were on the one level, which is handy long corridors though so not much choice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I was pleased to read your comments about your clean and comfortable room, our excellent service, and our helpful staff.

I was sorry to read that you were disturbed by some other guests, and I would like to offer my sincere apologies. Thank you also for your feedback regarding our pricing, and I would like to assure you that this has been shared with our Head Office.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back on some future occasion.

West Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel. The hotel is a fairly close to the M4 Junction 11 so quite easy to get to.
The hotel car park was full on arrival and I therefore had to park on the grass verge. The hotel is a rather unimpressive building sitting on a corner plot near a busy roundabout on Basingstoke Road.

The reception at the hotel was friendly and I couldn't fault the staff who were smiling and attentive during the whole of my 3 night stay.

Room - The room I was shown to was on the ground floor. I was given a single room. The room was rather dated with teak laminated furniture, which gave the room a very dated 70's feel. The room also smelt of damp, this was particularly noticeble nearer the bathroom. As I was only using the room for 3 nights, it wasn't something that I complained about, but suggest the hotel look into this (Room 181).

Breakfast - the restaurant area is quite small and was busy on all the days that I was there. The food consisted of the standard fayre. Fried food, cereal, fruits, juices, breads etc.

Check-in/Check-Out - Friendly and effecient.

Room Tip: Avoid room 181 until they sort the damp smell out...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was most pleased to read that you found our staff to be friendly, attentive and efficient.

I am sorry that there may have been an issue with damp in your room, and I would like to assure you that this is being investigated. Thank you also for highlighting other areas that you felt could be improved; your feedback has been taken on board.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Buckingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed 28th Sept.2013.Lovely hotel spoilt by kettle in our room. We went to make tea in our room .boiled the kettle and made tea --- it was disgusting and undrinkable - -- looked in kettle to discover all lining had come away from the elements and had left red and black filth inside kettle.Complained to management who said they would send another one to room.Had to phone again after an hour to ask again for a kettle.On departure management said they would contact us.Guess what? They have not contacted us.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, and for contacting me direct.

Once again, my sincere apologies for your experiences, which are certainly not the level of service with which we are normally associated.

We look forward to welcoming you back in due course, where I am sure that we will be able to redeem ourselves.

Mark Ind

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Hilton Reading
Ibis Reading Centre
#11 of 32 in Reading
Novotel Reading Centre
Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11? Share your experiences!