“Comfortable but a little tired”

Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Comfortable but a little tired”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have stayed at this Hotel many times in part due to its perfect location (2 minute drive from the M4, and 10 minutes from the centre of Reading) and the fact it is friendly, clean and "does the job" of allowing a regular traveller to get their head down for a night.

It is an OK hotel but clearly no longer the newest - sure the rooms are clean and usual branded features exist but the infrastructure is old - single glazing windows (or poor double glazing!), old chipped bathroom, slighlty tatty corridors. Its not bad enough to need to go elsewhere, but its now no longer enough to want to write and award any more than an "average" as this is exactly what this hotel is.

Oh, and to have to pay for wireless in this day and age is not acceptable!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear Dwatkinsuk,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I'm truly delighted you liked our convenient hotel location. I am sorry that the condition of the property and internet policy did not meet your expectations. Your comments have been taken very seriously and have been shared with the Management Team, in order to help us improve further the service and facilities that we have to offer.

Please be assured that your feedback is greatly appreciated. Shall your travels bring you to the area again we hope for the opportunity to provide you a quality stay with us all around.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I've stayed here twice before for a total of about 3 weeks. Staff are friendly and go out of their way to help you. Rooms are decent. Food tends to be on the expensive side but there's a supermarket across the road if you want something small to eat. Gym and spa within the hotel are also good.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a fridge in your room on check in as not all of them ave one.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

What makes this hotel stand out is not the pool/gym, or bar, or restaurant or rooms...it is the consistent high quality of service from every single member of staff. From check in, to bar, to breakfast staff there seems to be a real understanding of the meaning of good service. Apart from that the food is of a high quality, rooms have ironing board/iron, trouser press, coffee/tea making, everything you need.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 29 December 2013

From the moment we arrived we were greeted warmly by the chap on reception and from then on the great customer service continued, nothing was too much trouble, everybody had a smile and a friendly greeting or time to chat. From housekeeping to the young guy in the leisure centre to the waiting staff. Our room was warm and comfortable with everything you would expect of a 4 star establishment. Breakfast was fresh with plenty of choice. Location convenient as just off the M4. Would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

On arrival the reception team were very friendly and polite and even thanking me for my loyalty. The reception area, bar and restaurant are in good condition and the staff again polite and helpful.
The rooms however are looking a bit old and in this particular visit I found that the double bed was smaller than usual. The bathroom are however in desperate need of renewal - toilet flush struggling to operate correctly, bath looked dirty so opted for shower but there was little water pressure. The bathroom really lets the hotel down as there are several other hotels in the area at the same cost but more modern. Thankfully I was told that HI will start refurbishing the bathrooms next year!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I spent 2 nights here and was quite happy with the hotel. The only things I could pick up on were slightly slow service at dinner and our bathroom. It was a little dated, very small, the bathroom door was almost impossible to shut and the lock was hanging off it although this wasn't really an issue for us. On the 2nd morning my partner warned me that the shower wasn't very hot and by the time I showered it was basically cold.

The breakfast was very good. Loved the pancakes!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you were happy with your stay, but I would like to offer my sincere apologies with the issues with your room, this is certainly not the level of service with which we are normally associated. Please be assured that these matters will be investigated.

Thank you again for your feedback, and should you wish to discuss any matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0118 987 0491, or email reading@ihg.com.

Kind Regards,

Mark Ind
Murcia, Spain
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel whilst on a business trip from 9th to 13th December 2013. The location was quite convenient since I was going to work nearby and it didn't take me long to get to the office.

Having worked in the hospitality industry myself for quite some time, I was appalled with the welcome I received upon my arrival at the hotel. Marion (the front desk member of staff who checked me in) was extremely rude to me, giving me orders and bossing me around in a way that I have never seen before in my life. She talked to me in a highly disdainful and condescending way, something which I would never have expected from a Holiday Inn. She spoke down to me with a patronising smirk on her face which I thought was a million miles away from what a receptionist should do when welcoming a new client.

Later on in the week (and with a very heavy heart), I had to return to reception once more to buy a one hour internet access card. Again, Marion was on the front desk and again, she was extremely rude to me when I asked her whether it would be possible to give me the change back in banknotes (and not coins). Once more, she spoke to me in a condescending tone of voice and with a sarcastic, aggressive and confrontational attitude - hardly the refined and well-mannered behaviour a receptionist at the Holiday Inn should have. The upshot of all of this was that Marion's behaviour ended up overshadowing my entire stay at the Holiday Inn, as each evening I was dreading returning to the hotel, hoping that I would not have to see her again.

What Marion should do is to learn from her colleague Laetitia, who I also had various dealings with and whose behavious was the polar opposite of that of Marion's. I found Laetitia to be extremely helpful, courteous and polite. THAT is a good example of how a front desk member of staff should behave. I believe that Marion should retrain, shadowing Laetitia for quite some time, in order for her to learn what excellent customer service should look like. Either that or the management should find her a back office job, where she won't be able to bully and harass the guests. That way, she will no longer be able to ruin the excellent work being carried out the rest of the team.

Moving on to other areas, the room was dated but welcoming, comfortable and clean. I particularly liked and appreciated the tea/coffee making facilities in the foyer, very handy to be able to make a hot drink to take away, especially for business travellers like myself. The quality of the breakfast was very good and I would like especially like to single Fernando and Elena out for special praise, since they were particularly attentive and helpful.

My only comment in terms of the breakfast service is regarding the fact that, despite an obvious (and rather exaggerated) attempt by one of the senior female members of staff to be courteous, this unfortunately comes across as rather phoney. Rather than putting the clients as their ease (which I'm sure was her intention), this behaviour actually has the opposite effect and causes uneasiness. My advice here would be to ask this member of staff to relax a little, as their bustling about, insistence on seating the clients (rather than letting them sit where they would like) and so on, could make people feel harrassed and stressed. Loud and constant "thank yous" and "sorries" just make people feel uncomfortable and are not necessary.

I am expecting to make further business-related trips to Reading in the future, but if I'm honest, I would be hard pushed to return to the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Avoid a receptionist called Marion. The rest are fantastic.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank UK2013J
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I was very sorry to read your comments, and would very much like to discuss this matter further. Please contact me on 0118 987 0491, at your convenience.

Kind Regards,

Mark Ind

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Hilton Reading
Ibis Reading Centre
#11 of 31 in Reading
Premier Inn Reading Central Hotel
Novotel Reading Centre

Been to Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11? Share your experiences!