“Great place for an overnight stay”

Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Great place for an overnight stay”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We booked this as an overnight stop when travelling en route to France. The staff were friendly from the outset and we were made to feel very welcome. The rooms were larger than average, clean and pleasant. Had a good night's sleep so the beds must have been ok. Breakfast in the morning was also good. The only slight negative would be that the bathroom is a little small.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Polish first
Minehead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for one night on our way to visit family in London. This is a typical chain hotel - everything is done to a chain standard - and it IS a high standard. The level of service from every member of staff we met was first class and could not be faulted.

The massive bed was superbly comfortable and the room was large, well-furnished and well-serviced.

Dinner was beautifully cooked and presented.

So why am I only giving a 4 instead of a 5?

Breakfast! I've heard all the reasons why these large hotels serve buffet breakfasts but I'm afraid those reasons don't hold water. Fortunately, our breakfast was inclusive, otherwise I would have asked for the extortionate £14.95 charge to be refunded! Everything was luke-warm except the hash browns (which had probably just been replenished) and the tea, which was served fresh to our table. Even the plates were cold, which didn't help.

When will these large chains realise they are letting themselves down by cooking beautifully fresh breakfast produce then letting it congeal and cool in containers over hot-plates? Absolutely disgraceful! Each breakfast should be individually prepared and served - especially at that price!

For me, this spoiled an otherwise absolutely perfect overnight stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
HIReadingSouth, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Cappycat,

Thank you for taking the time to review you stay at the Holiday Inn Reading-South hotel. We truly appreciate your genuine and comprehensive feedback.

I was pleased to read that you felt your room was well appointed and service and how our hotel team exceeded your expectations in delivering a first class service throughout your stay.

I was also disappointed to hear that your breakfast experience was below standard and that the temperature of the buffet items was not as you would expect. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast experience with us and that we let you down on this key service. I have relayed your comments to my fellow managers and our head chef, so that we can address the area's highlighted in your feedback.

Cappycat, it was truly a pleasure to have you stay with us at the Holiday Inn Reading-South and I do hope I get a chance to welcome you back in the future.

With Best Wishes,

Adam Quay-Ross
Front Office Manager
Oakamoor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here for one night on a business trip in August and was pleasantly surprised. Easy to find location just off the M4 at Junction 11 so perfectly situated for Heathrow Airport. Parking was easy and plentiful and free of charge. A very swift check in process and a very nice comfortable clean room. Everything that I expected and required so very happy. Made use of the leisure facilities during my brief stay. I just used the gym which was small but had everything I needed to have a good workout. There is also a pool as well if you fancy a dip. Ate in the restaurant and my only comments would be this. Very polite and attentive staff made the dining experience really nice. However, as it is open plan and directly beside the reception and bar area, there is no feeling of intimacy and peacefulness. Not recommended if you are looking for a quiet meal. Being a saturday evening there were a lot of noisy children in the hotel and the experience was far from relaxing as I ate my meal due to it being open plan. In my opinion a restaurant should be more private and as I was offered a table on the outer section it never felt very peaceful for me. The food was lovely although a minor problem with my starter was swiftly rectified by the manager and a complimentary glass of wine offered for my troubles. My main course of Chicken Caesar Salad was one of the nicest I have ever tasted as well. I did leave a gratuity but was slightly annoyed to find a £3.20 service charge added as well to my bill when I checked out. No mention or reference was made anywhere about this small charge and I think that is wrong. It should either be made clear to you or at the very least it should be on the bill in the restaurant itself or on the menu. If I had known this charge was going to be levied I would not have left a gratuity. My other complaint would be about the excessive charge of £15 for a 24 hr period for Internet access. This is wrong in my opinion and if they feel the need to charge for what should be a complimentary service then make it more acceptable, like Premier Inn for example who only charge £3 for 24 hours. Otherwise I was very happy and would return if in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed for 1 night Sat 10th August. I would recommend this hotel for its friendly staff. We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent again with friendly staff. The breakfast was very good all you can eat buffet style. The rooms were clean and had all the facilities you need. Give it a try you won`t be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

A nice clean modern hotel just minutes from the M4. Signposting is not very good on the main road, turn right at the mini roundabout by the Imperium building and that is Imperial Way, go down that road and the hotel is at the end on the left hand side. Staff were very helpful and friendly, very swift check in and out, no queuing and they also offered a breakfast buffet deal for £ 9.99. The room was very clean with good quiet air conditioning and a selection of hard and soft pillows. Only thing that let it down was a noisy family across the corridor with a bleating kid. Anyway I would recommend this hotel if you want comfort that won't cost the earth and there is also a mini Starbucks in reception if that floats your boat. I would choose this hotel when staying again in the area.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Booked three rooms for 1 night at the last minute and after a very long day we would have accepted anything with a comfortable bed to be honest. Thankfully the holiday inn here did indeed have a comfortable bed(s), and everything we needed. The rooms were bigger than average, it was well priced and everyone commented the next morning how comfortable the rooms were.

I could see this as being a great hotel for visiting Legoland Windsor but also if you wanted to check out the shops of Reading.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

happy to report that this Holiday Inn was of a good standard. We were very pleased with the very helpful and friendly staff. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The spa/pool facilities were very modern and clean too. Located near a country park - ideal destination for a family who need a short break or overnight stay. Very good value for money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Hilton Reading
#11 of 31 in Reading
pentahotel Reading
pentahotel Reading
#6 of 31 in Reading

Been to Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11? Share your experiences!