“Nice Hotel but the spa facilities a let down!”

Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Reading
London, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel but the spa facilities a let down!”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I stayed here over night for a girly weekend. The hotel is nice and standard and only about 5-10mins away from town centre. Its good if u have a car but if not it cost £8-£10 taxi each way to town can be pricey.
Overall i found the hotel nice and pleasant and the receptionist staff was helpful. The bedroom are decent size, clean and comfortable. I must say the complimentary breakfast was nice had loads of variety of choices. But food is overpriced at the cafe & restaurant.

The main thing that let the hotel down is the SPA FACILITIES and it was very disappointing indeed!
I ve been to numerous of hotel spa this must be the worst one i ever been to by far! i was surprised no bathrobe or slippers offer, never been to one that i have to pay

* no one given us a guide around the spa area
* There is a swimming pool, steam room and Jacuzzi but in a very small place
* No proper therapy room but instead we had to walk around the hotel in our swimwear to one
of the hotel bedroom, didn't realise they can operate without a proper room it made me feel
very uncomfortable.
* The massage was very very poor, the masseur i had did not seem qualified and i felt he was
just literally rubbing oil on my back and neck and did not wash his hand in between
treatment. i think they really need to look into this matter and provide proper training and
customer service.

I would really advise you to stay away from the spa treatment!!!!!

4 Thank alaiya l
MadejskiHotel, Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Millennium Madejski Hotel and were happy with our bedrooms and our excellent buffet breakfast.

The hotel is just 2.5 miles to Reading town centre and in addition to taxis, there is also a bus service to town from early morning to early evening (20.40 on weekdays and 18.30 weekends) from as little as £1.33 single.
Leisure facilities at the hotel are complimentary to all our guests however treatments are provided by an external company called Karma Therapy and they would be more than happy to discuss your concerns directly with you. They can be contacted on 07507 968257.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed here as part of my hen do. The hotel was 5 min outside Reading town centre. This meant it cost £8-10 taxi each way to town.

Overall the hotel is clean, nice and comfortable and the receptionist staff was helpful. The bedroom are decent size and bed and pillow was comfortable. There is a kettle, complimentary bottle water and hair-dryer. There are no views from the bedrooms. They all face a big dismal car park.

Food is overpriced. A club sandwich was £18! The complimentary breakfast was nice and had loads of choice.

The spa isn't a spa. There is a swimming pool steam room and jacuzzi but in a very small space. You can only fit 4 people there. I can imagine at peak season it would be crowded. The spa facilities are very tired and there is only one changing room. There was no bathrobes or slippers which meant you walk on grubby wet floors.

The bathrobe was an issue as I had a massage and was led to one of the bedrooms as there was no massage room and I had to walk in my swimming costume around the hotel to get to the room. The massage was very poor so I would advise you to avoid if possible. The masseur did not seem qualified and did not wash his hand inbetween therapies. I felt as if he was rubbing sun tan lotion on me and kept saying I should feel pain in my jaw when he felt my shoulders! I was left me with back and neck aches after the "massage". He also wanted to stay in the room when I got changed and had to ask him to leave!

The hotel is nice but I was really disappointed with the Spa and the Spa staff. They also confused my details with someone else which is quite scary if you have a condition. I would really advise you to avoid any spa treatment there!

4 Thank KrisL888

The Atrium Bar is competitively priced and a Club Sandwich is £9.95

munchkinhead_9
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I stayed here as part of a hen do; the hotel is located just about 5 mins away from the town centre. The hotel is next door to the football grounds and we probably stayed here at a good time as it was almost empty. As you enter through the glass doors, there is a grand reception, aesthetically pleasing to the eye. We had lunch at the cafe; food was good but quite pricey. The rooms were big, clean and comfortable. However the spa facilities were another question. They either needed a refurbishment or needed a star down on the hotel rating. The pool is quite small; you can't really have a decent swim. The Jacuzzi was in one corner and the sauna could only fit maybe four ppl if you were lucky. It had a very leisure centre feel with white tiles everywhere and the changing rooms also reflected that. It seemed strange that you had to pay for a bath robe and slippers when usually when you stay in a four star hotel it is free. As part of our hen do we all got a half hour beauty treatment however I would advise not to bother. The massage rooms well there are no massage rooms, the treatment room is in an actual hotel room, we had to walk through the fire exit to have our treatment as we had got changed in the changing room and were walking around with our towels, not a very relaxed feeling. The treatment room had no music or atmosphere; the male therapist did not make me feel comfortable and was extremely disappointed with the service. I think if I was in Reading again, I would not pick this hotel however if I did I would not use the spa facilities at all. The best thing about the hotel is the breakfast, a lot of choices with hot food, fruit section, cereal and cheeses.

3 Thank munchkinhead_9
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Millennium Madejski Hotel and were happy with our bedrooms and our décor in general.

The hotel adjoins the Madejski Stadium home to Reading FC and London Irish RFC however the season doesn’t start until August 17th so the hotel was quieter than usual.

Leisure facilities at the hotel include a 12M swimming pool, spa bath, sauna and gymnasium are complimentary to all our guests however treatments are provided by an external company called Karma Therapy and they would be more than happy to discuss your concerns directly with you. They can be contacted on 07507 968257.
Surrey
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Have stayed here five times and I can always be sure of a same wonderful level of service and comfort.
Bedrooms are beautifully furnish - I have stayed in all types of rooms from the standard to a suite and all we of excellent quality. Good sized, comfy beds. Lots of TV channels with foreign language subtitles if needed. Bathrooms well quipped and with lovely toiletries. Tea and coffee making in the rooms - one really small niggle - I would like more than 1 pack of biscuits per room!!!
Facilities are very good. Wellness suite is excellent with beauty treatments available.
Atrium bar is very swish, although it has a rather "cold" feeling in winter and the chairs are not the most comfy!!!
Brasseries serves very good food. Well cooked and a good price.
We have an early start and the kitchen opens to provide us with a full buffet and cooked breakfast at 6.30am on Saturday.
Staff polite and attentive whilst not overbearing.
Nothing is ever too much trouble.
Car parking can sometimes be tricky in the small car park around the hotel, but there is a huge overflow carpark opposite.
Would recommend highly!

Room Tip: All seem to be of the same quality
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
MadejskiHotel, Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you for your review.

We are so pleased to hear you have had many wonderful stays at our Hotel.

We are very proud of the level of service our staff provide and we are happy to hear you find them polite, attentive, whilst not overbearing.

The Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Belfast
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Stayed here for a couple of weeks on business. Best hotel I stayed in in Reading. Rooms were large with good specifications, flatscreen TV, free wi-fi. Food was very good, breakfast was superb, and the bar area was very nice. Staff were very good as well. Excellent stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
MadejskiHotel, Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for your review.

We are very proud of our service and staff here at the Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading and we are pleased to hear you had an excellent stay.

Thank you again for your review.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Hotel very soon.
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Upon entering the hotel we felt like we were in a scene from Pretty Woman! The receptionist looked us up and down as if to say we were not welcome! We were made to feel very unwelcome. Maybe we were not as stylish as the receptionist but we are certainly not scruffy. On top of this we were asked for our bank card to cover 40 pounds worth of extras - upon asking the same receptionist what the extras were we not given a straight answer - I explained that we had paid for our stay in full prior to check-in and therefore would not require 'extras' this again was very uncomfortable. The rooms were clean and comfortable but very cold. Following settling into our room we took our 14 and 9 year old to the pool, the changing rooms were dirty and my husband said the showers in the male changing rooms were disgusting. The pool itself is all one depth - too deep for many younger children to use safely - again a hint that this is not a child friendly hotel. After a cold nights sleep we went down for breakfast - there were only us and another family in the breakfast area - once again it felt like we were in the way and the staff could not really be bothered with us. The hotel felt very sterile and whilst stylish, lacked the warmth and welcome of other hotels we have stayed in. This may seem like a negative review, however we have not complained about a hotel before - we have stayed in Marriott hotels many times and fancied a change, however this particular hotel only serves to encourage us to remain loyal to the Marriott chain. This hotel is more couples and the more corporate clientele and I would not recommend it to families.

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, we are very proud of our service levels at the Millennium Madejski Hotel and we are disappointed that we have let both ourselves & you down on this occasion.

Should you wish to discuss any aspect of your stay please do not hesitate to contact myself on reservations.reading@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Kind regards
Suzanne Hatherly
Assistant Revenue Manager
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed here as we were having a night at the Jazz Cafe round the corner. We got a special rate of £60 for the night (room only) which is reasonable. We had a standard 1st floor room and found it to be well furnished and very spacious. There is also a fridge in the room which had complimentary bottled water in it. Drinks at the bar are not much more than average pub prices which is good. We did not eat food at the hotel as we did not want a full breakfast and were not interested in paying £13 for something we did not want. They offer meals in the restaurant and also some at the bar which were more reasonably priced and I would have eaten here if I had not been eating out. We found the room comfortable with two chairs, and the bed was big and comfortable. I would stay at this hotel again if I was needing to stay in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
MadejskiHotel, Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Thank you for your review.

We are pleased you had an enjoyable stay at the Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Thank you again for your review.