“Great Place to Stay in Reading, UK”

Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Dallas, Texas
“Great Place to Stay in Reading, UK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed at the Millennium Madejski Hotel in Reading UK. The staff was OUTSTANDING. Very friendly and professional and patiently answered quite a few questions from me given that it was my first time to the UK. They provided an extension cord and power adapter as well which was a great benefit. The room was very clean and spacious. The hotel was also close to a Park and Ride so regular bus service was easily accessible to the Reading International Business Park, Reading Town Center and the Reading Rail Station.

I want to especially recognize Patrick at the Front Desk who remembered my name from Day One and used it every time he saw me. That level of service is really unheard of these days. I also highly enjoyed speaking to David who hailed a taxi for me and shared entertaining stories about living in the UK. If you like being treated as a valued guest, this is the place you should stay in Reading.

I only had 2 negative aspects of this visit. One was the in room internet access - which kept kicking my devices off line and forcing me to "forget" and re-link via WiFi access. The other issue was it took a long time to cool the room down when I arrived back from work each day. You have to place your room key in a switch by the front door which then turns on the lights and air conditioning. I didn't get it cool enough in my room until the morning that I checked out to fly back to the US. To be fair, I didn't bring this up to the staff because it wasn't unbearable. You might ask them to have housekeeping keep the curtains closed, especially if you are facing to the West, If you think hotel rooms are generally too cold, you will probably like this just fine.

The staff in the bar and restaurant were top notch as well. I could tell that they take customer satisfaction and accommodation very seriously. I would stay here again on my next trip to Reading.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bulldog_Fans_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

There were 2 adults and 1 x 12 year old travelling in our party. The Family Room was huge by UK standards. We had 2 very comfortable Queen size beds, a small lounge and coffee table, desk area and very large bathroom (again, by UK standards). The room was modern and everything was well maintained. The room was so big we didn't feel cramped or swamped at all and we had 4 large suitcases plus hand luggage. Great wardrobe and hanging space. The bathroom was well equipped and really good sized bath towels. I liked that the mini bar wasn't stuffed full of expensive snacks and drinks which meant you could purchase supplies from local supermarkets and easily refridgerate. Free parking and free wi-fi were an added bonus. Our rate included breakfast which was also more than ample and a fabulous spread. The wait staff were marvellous - great customer service and attentive. There is a swimming pool and gym on site (which we didn't use). Some nice restaurants in Reading city centre which is a short drive away.

Whilst the hotel is not in the city centre of Reading, if you have a car, it is a fabulous place to stay as a base for the area (Legoland, Oxford, Reading, Henley, Marlow, Ascot, Legoland etc...). The purpose of our stay was a 3 day stop over on the way back from Wales. We visited the Warner Bros Harry Potter studio from here and it was a short drive to Heathrow on our way out of London.

We will definately stay again - highly recommend this property to an expensive London based hotel where you'll probably get a very tiny room and old facilities. Yes you would have to travel into Paddington by train but if you are planning to explore outside of London in the areas mentioned above - this is the place to stay. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner family room
Tywardreath, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The staff were a little grumpy & could have been a little nicer. The doorman was odd as he didn't seem to do anything - no opening of doors etc.

The hotel was good for a business stay but not sure whether I would have stayed here for pleasure.

Rooms were airy & big. Be careful to shut your curtains though as it is really easy to see in from other rooms!

Stayed July 2014
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had a fantastic weekend at the Majeski Hotel to celebrate my Dad's birthday. The hotel is modern and has a swimming pool and lovely bar area. The staff were incredibly helpful and helped to make our stay extra special. I'd also purchased the 'Ask Alfred' package for the children, which includes a cuddly toy, ice cream, book and bag. The quality was much better than I expected. An extra special thank you to the excellent man on reception, who was was absolutely excellent!

Room Tip: Request a room with an exterior view.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Four of us in the family are coeliacs and need a strict gluten free diet so I always review our experience on trip advisor to help other coeliacs.

At breakfast I spoke to one of the employees, Donald. Although the bacon, baked beans, egg etc were gluten free, there was a small possibility of cross contamination (coeliacs will understand what I mean!) from the neighbouring buffet food so he happily ordered a specially prepared cooked breakfast from the kitchen which arrived within minutes which was fantastic. We were also offered gluten free bread. There was also lots of different fruit, juice, yoghurt, ham, salami, cheese etc for the gluten free diet.

Apart from that - the hotel room was really nice, comfy bed, polite staff, easy access to M4, children were given a colouring-in pirate puzzle pack when they arrived which went down well! The pool looked nice but unfortunately we didn't have time to use it.

We'd definitely stay there when we visit Reading again.

Walney, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I got book into the wrong hotel, I was very annoyed at first, but when I arrived at the Madejski all was forgiven. Good food and nice rooms. And the staff were brilliant! The only downside was the beds had leather cushions, which I found slightly weird??

Also if you park in the overflow car park be sure to get an exit token from the reception to get out!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jonnyb123
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Very pleasant hotel with very good facilities. Comfortable with modern amenities and a very decent room size. Ah yes, the room! Who on earth designs/constructs a hotel that incorporates rooms that overlook the busiest, noisiest place in the hotel - the bar area!? Yes, I had a room that overlooked the internal bar 'courtyard' area. What an entirely weird concept. Of course, it was just my luck that the hotel was hosting a large delegate of 'corporates' who 'gaffawed' the night away with their pretentious claptrap and cocktails until half past midnight! Not their fault of course, that's what a bar area is for; but would you really build a hotel with rooms that are subject to that monotonous din all night? - bizarre!

Other than that it was lovely. I would return but on the insistence that I had a less 'exposed' room.

Room Tip: Ask to avoid a room that overlooks the 'Atrium' bar area!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo