All reviewsle cafefootball stadiumatrium barcilantro restaurantfootball matchgreen parkfootball groundroom serviceclub roomfree wifibusiness parkgood sizeleisure facilitiesair conplenty of parkingcar parkroom was large
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I was very excited when my partner decided to take us away after Christmas. We'd spend a good few nights going through a number of hotels as we wanted somewhere nice and finally he decided that we could go to the 2nd of my top hotels on my "to do" list - passing on the top one in favour of going to Reading as I love the area and have been very keen to stay in this particular hotel.

Upon arrival we were welcomed by a very grumpy receptionist who couldn't even master a smile (which I thought was nice as I'd applied for 3 reception vacancies there in the past and never even got an interview!!) and we were told in a very basic way where our room was and handed a couple of letters. Once we'd reached the room (which wasn't even the one we'd booked) we read the letters given to us which pointed out that there was currently no bar and the restaurant was closed also for a number of days. And on top of that the room service menu had suddenly become a limited number of dishes.
Which I was really not pleased about, as we'd decided to eat in one of my favourite places in town on one night, then spend the next night in the hotel in the bar and having a very nice romantic meal and a few drinks the next. Only now this was unable to happen and we had to head into town on both occcasions, meaning spending a lot more money due to cabs there and back ect.

I found this very annoying, as we'd not even recieved an email or told upon booking that these areas were out of order and the menu was tiny, which makes me feel like we were hugely mislead on our only holiday of the year..... Plus I'm sure this kind of comes under false advertising which is actually illegal?? :S

BUT having said all that, even though it wasn't the room we'd booked, the view was fab - we could see the training centre and the massive windymill, and at night the office blocks in the distance lit up the skyline. The bed was amazingly comfy (even if the wooden surround was dusty) and it was a very well spaced room. So it wasn't all bad.... and it's location is great.

I do have to say though that the lack of customer service regarding the bad points have certainly put me off the place I was so eager to visit and I doubt I'll go there again. All because they couldn't be bothered to tell us the current hotel situation til it was too late.

I've put that I'd not recommend it to a friend, but I know I would do if it wasn't for this one big issue. Which I know won't be the same all the time as I'm sure at some stage they'll open the facilities again or at least realise that it's AT LEAST polite to warn customers from the off of situations that will affect their stay....

Oh, and hopefully the receptionist won't glare at everyone who tells them that all the lights have fused in their room....

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
MadejskiHotel, Reservations Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2010

Dear Plinkyplonk.

Thank you for the feed back and for taking the time to write a review on the Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, we value your comments.

We were very sorry to hear you did not have the experience you hoped for whilst staying at the hotel over the Christmas period. The Christmas and New Year period for the hotel is typically quieter than usual. During this time we offer a reduced service in some areas of the hotel, we do endeavour to send out information to all our guests staying in the hotel over this period prior to their arrival at the hotel either by post or email advising of the facilities available to them during their stay and the dining options. We sincerely apologise if you did not receive this information prior to your arrival at the hotel.

The reception staff have been spoken to about these comments and this issue has been addressed. We strive to maintain our usual high level of customer service and regret that in this instance this was not met.

We are glad you found the bedroom well spaced with comfortable beds and you liked the views from your bedroom.

Thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards
Hotel Management

Reviewed 27 December 2009

Stayed on 19th December 2009 just for one night. Lovely spacious rooms, clean, warm, great shower and bathroom fittings, Breakfst was excellent too. The breakfast room was a little small and the tables a bit too close together for my liking but other than that I dont have a bad word to say about the place. Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
MadejskiHotel, Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Reviewed 9 December 2009

This is a big new hotel on the outskirts of Reading, close to the M4. The novelty is
that it is also attached to the equally new local football stadium and is part of a
combined modern sporting and leisure complex which has regenerated this part of
south Reading over the past 10 years or so.

The hotel clings like a limpet to one side of the football ground but doesn’t seem particularly innocuous – in fact, many fans embrace the facilities on match days because there are no other hostelries nearby and it’s a handy place to meet for a bite or a pint before the game. It’s also quite a popular stopover for away supporters and non-local home fans and there are special tie-ins with the football club to generate supporter business.

With no history whatsoever, and basically situated amongst a sea of car parks and access roads, the hotel’s only big plus points has to be its staff and it’s facilities.

So, upon arrival, parking wasn’t a problem. There were plenty of spaces outside the hotel and a convenient large overflow car park over the road. We received a warm and friendly welcome from the young man on the front desk and it was easy to find our room on the first floor. We were at the end of a warm, carpeted corridor, and had a surprisingly pleasant room with a large curving floor- height window facing the hotel overflow car park and also the local teams’ players car park – probably about the best view you will get at this particular establishment.

The room was really comfortable with flatscreen TV (plus on-screen web access), minibar, sofa, hot drink facilities, large double bed etc. There was an open wardrobe with about 8 hangers, and a cupboard with a safe, an ironing board, spare pillows, and what I think may have been a nappy-changing table (I stand to be corrected, though). Just inside the door was quite an impressive shower room and w.c. Lots of mirrors, two self standing basins and a very generous supply of towels and toiletries. A later go in the shower revealed the ubiquitous rain forest shower head which worked fine and had a very responsive temperature range. Ease of operation was excellent due to plethora of instructions in case of resident idiots. An efficient nozzled hairdryer back in the main room worked well too.

The room was superbly sound-proofed, and the bed was comfortable. I wouldn’t say the pillows were particularly soft and inviting, and the air conditioning seemed to have quite a wide repertoire during the night, but I felt as though I’d slept reasonably enough.

Earlier in the evening we ordered room service which arrived within 20 minutes. All perfectly edible, although french fries that travel always seem to lose heat. Highly commendable blueberry cheesecake made up for it though. An earlier trip to the minibar had generated a need for a call to reception to supply a bottle opener which was sent up within a matter of minutes.

We used the bar at lunchtime and in the evening, and it’s not exactly intimate. It’s a great big open room with an enormously high ceiling and functional furnishing that doesn’t feel as comfortable as you would expect. Also the chairs appear to be at the wrong height for the tables. Bar staff were efficient but didn’t look like they would want to be your best friends.

The following day it was breakfast in the Café area and, after 0900, only a few guest were dotted around a sea of tables. The self –service area was more like a greengrocers and had an absolutely enormous choice of fruit together with other cold sundries. There were also hot choices from the menu, and my full English breakfast was perfectly acceptable. The young waitresses were polite and efficient and seemed to managing well under not very hectic circumstances.

We checked out later that morning via the engaging young man that checked us in, and headed off back to the M4 via the maze of access roads by which we had earlier arrived

Reviewed 29 November 2009

Booked a two night package direct using the hotel's own internet site. Two night stay both including breakfast plus dinner included in price one night. Close to M4 and own parking right next to the football stadium. Only 20 miles fromk Newbury Racecourse.
Upon arrival very polite and professional service by staff at reception. Room very nice indeed. Clean and warm with flat screen TV, Ironing board, tea and coffe supplied, hair dryer and toiletries supplied etc plus pay fridge. (which we did not use as these are usually expensive). Free Newspaper, if Daily Telegraph is your choice, supplied.
Hotel has very nice bar area and two dining areas. Breakfast contained an amazing choice/selection - the widest choice I've seen for a long time at anywhere where I have stayed.
I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 November 2009

I stay at the Madejski about 2 nights per week on average. Standard of hotel is excellant, very convenient for companies based near the M4. Restaurants good and staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business