This was our second visit to the Madejski Hotel and we were enticed back by a special
offer and the opportunity to try the Cilantro restaurant.
I booked the hotel room on-line and called to make the restaurant reservation. On arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by what seemed like a bored/disinterested staff member. There was no warmth in the greeting (we'll call him 'A').
We went to our room and it was all we expected from this hotel, spacious, well furnished with all you could need. Internet is available for £1 a day but the phone charges are very high, so use your mobile! There are no phone directories or other local information in the room.
I called the Cilantro number from the room phone to change our booked time. There was no answer. I tried again later and still there was no answer, so I called room service and told them that I could not get an answer from the Cilantro. The person answering said they were taking calls from the restaurant as well as room service. I gave our alternative
booking time and this was accepted. When we arrived at the restaurant at the booked
time, it was closed, lights out, no one there.
We went to reception and spoke to 'A', the same member of staff that had checked us in. He told us the restaurant was closed on Sundays, as if we should have known that! He asked who had taken the booking, again, how would we know? It seems we had been booked into 'Le Cafe', a rather charmless canteen of an eatery where breakfast is served. We therefore returned to our room, checked the internet for an alternative restaurant in the town centre.
The following morning we were disturbed by the maid wanting to clean our room, twice.
We went to Le Cafe for breakfast. The food is good, especially the buffet, the full English was OK. The Le Cafe lacks comfort, being a modern plainly
furnished area and any sound seems amplified. As the staff clear tables, chairs are moved and things are dropped, the noise is quite annoying. It really wouldn't be difficult to address this aspect of this eatery, and a hotel of this stature really should have a more attractive area to eat in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated just off the M4 motorway at junction 11, the Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading is ideally located for those who want to visit the wonderful countryside within Royal Berkshire. The hotel also forms part of the impressive Madejski Stadium Complex, incorporating the Royal Berkshire Conference Centre, and home to both Reading Football Club and London Irish RFC. Nearby we have Legoland, Windsor Castle and for those who enjoy the races, Ascot, Windsor and Newbury are all within easy reach. Other areas of interest include, Henley, Oxford and London is only 20 minutes away by train.The hotel has leisure facilities which include a swimming pool and gym. The hotel also offers complimentary Wi-Fi and car parking ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with World Independent Hotel Promotion, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Lastminute, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Millennium Madejski Reading
- Reading Millennium Madejski Hotel