“Discouraged ,left without eating”
Review of Bill's Restaurant

Bill's Restaurant
Ranked #45 of 657 Restaurants in Reading
Price range: US$13 - US$27
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A very pretty location, Bill's Reading restaurant occupies St Mary's Church House. This elegant Georgian building makes a fabulous restaurant and has become a very popular destination, from breakfast time, all the way through to dinner.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's only fair to say that this review is not of the food at Bill's restaurant since I haven't eaten there. Additionally I haven't returned there so I don't know of my experience was representative of the norm but it is true to say that I've never been remotely tempted to go back. I visited Bills Restaurant on a late (after 13:30) lunch time. I and my friend had to wait to be seated, not because there were no tables free but because there was no one available to allocate a table and we weren't allowed to seat ourselves. Then having been seated upstairs we decided after approximately five minutes that we would not stay because the table was so dirty. To be clear this wasn't the remnants of the last seating but hardened congealed ketchup on the cutlery canister and dirt hardened on the tablecloth, the cutlery itself was grimy and the floor unswept. When the server arrived with menus we explained that we had decided not to eat and left, no unpleasantness, no fuss and looking at other reviews our experience may as I say be untypical

Write a ReviewReviews (1,169)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Good selection on the menu though not a huge choice but I prefer that. Service can be up and down depending on the change of shift I think. We have been known to sit there for 20 minutes without anyone even offering to take a drinks order in a fairly empty restaurant. Next time we'll just go and find someone.We we being too polite(or stubborn). Portions are medium so you're not overfaced but if you like large portions you might want a starter as well.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I found this place by accident whilst wandering around Reading town centre looking for somewhere to eat early on a Friday evening. Everywhere else was pretty dead, but this place looked inviting and was already quite busy. The very friendly, efficient and accommodating staff were happy to find me a table despite not having a reservation, on the understanding that I would need to vacate it after an hour and a half, which I was happy to do.

The restaurant is in a charming Georgian building overlooking St Mary's churchyard in the centre of Reading. It is actually quite an attractive spot. Inside is rustic and quite cosy.The tables are placed quite closely together, and there is some shared bench/pew seating, so it can feel a little crowded. However, I think that this just added to the ambience, and obviously hadn't deterred any of the other diners (mostly couples and small groups).

The menu is quite varied and interesting, but as I was a little tight for time I went for the house burger with fries. The burger was very nicely cooked to medium, as ordered. Nice and moist, with just the right amount of pink in the middle. One of the best "gourmet" burgers I have had for a while. The skinny fries were a little overcooked, perhaps, but overall the dish was well presented. I'd certainly eat here again.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have been to Bills twice this week, once as a large work party and the other as a small birthday friends group. Both times the service and food was great. My friend cannot eat dairy and the waiters and chefs were brilliant helping her with the menu and cooking her fish without the batter. Thanks for great meals, will definitely be back!!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We came across this by chance, it looked really inviting with a lively feel..we had mini Cumberland sausages, humours and taziki, and olives to start. Very small portions but tasty. For mains, I had bills burger and husband had fish finger sandwiches. Although my burger was lovely it was small and the fries came in a little metal pot. The letdown was the fish finger sandwich. Very thin slices of bread and small fish fingers. The dinner cost £48 which we thought was pricey for what we had. We would go back maybe for coffee and cake but not for dinner