“works do”

Ranked #21 of 638 Restaurants in Reading
Price range: US$13 - US$27
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A very pretty location, Bill's Reading restaurant occupies St Mary's Church House. This elegant Georgian building makes a fabulous restaurant and has become a very popular destination, from breakfast time, all the way through to dinner.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Its been a while since we visited. Bills. A simple place serving really good fresh tastingfood one of the nicest butgersi have had . Also. Great cocktails will definatley return. Good town centre location

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Contrary to some experiences ours was pretty much exemplary. Busy Sunday lunch but got seated quickly, served with drinks immediately, order taken precisely when we were ready and both courses arrived with perfect timing. The crab cakes were delicious, not overfried and the mango salsa fresh and firm. Chicken liver nice and rich, with enough toast and chutney. The Chicken Caesar not served the conventional way but much the better for it, char-grilled, moist and tasty. Grilled Sea Bream piping hot, moist and firm. 10% service charge is added, though optional - I prefer to reward good service directly but that's just me.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stopped in for a late breakfast while shopping. It was busy but the wait for a table was not too long and the staff were friendly and attentive. Ordered Bill's breakfast and a side of fried potato and some freshly squeezed juice. Service was slow but they did keep coming and apologising and the food was lovely when it arrived, other than the extra fried potato which was one tiny round hash brown .... we later got the potato deducted from bill so that was fair enough. Food was lovely, staff are great but maybe don't go if you are in a hurry, plan to have a nice leisurely breakfast.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's only fair to say that this review is not of the food at Bill's restaurant since I haven't eaten there. Additionally I haven't returned there so I don't know of my experience was representative of the norm but it is true to say that I've never been remotely tempted to go back. I visited Bills Restaurant on a late (after 13:30) lunch time. I and my friend had to wait to be seated, not because there were no tables free but because there was no one available to allocate a table and we weren't allowed to seat ourselves. Then having been seated upstairs we decided after approximately five minutes that we would not stay because the table was so dirty. To be clear this wasn't the remnants of the last seating but hardened congealed ketchup on the cutlery canister and dirt hardened on the tablecloth, the cutlery itself was grimy and the floor unswept. When the server arrived with menus we explained that we had decided not to eat and left, no unpleasantness, no fuss and looking at other reviews our experience may as I say be untypical

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Good selection on the menu though not a huge choice but I prefer that. Service can be up and down depending on the change of shift I think. We have been known to sit there for 20 minutes without anyone even offering to take a drinks order in a fairly empty restaurant. Next time we'll just go and find someone.We we being too polite(or stubborn). Portions are medium so you're not overfaced but if you like large portions you might want a starter as well.