“Good enough stay for a great price”

Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Essex
“Good enough stay for a great price”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Went to a wedding in Henley-on-Thames. Stayed here as we'd left it too late to book something closer. Arrived and staff were welcoming. Nice clean room. Toby Carvery on premises, didn't use but other guests says it was OK and obviously very convenient.
Clean, comfortable for one night head down.

Room Tip: Dont get put at end of hotel next to the back of the Toby Carvery, as noisy in the morning when bins...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
PI_Caversham, Reception Team at Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here twice in May. It is a nice hotel close to the River Thames in Caversham. Very pleasant walks along the river are available. Next door is a Toby carvary. OK for one or two nights but then is boring. Real ale was not very good either. There are other places to eat nearby. The hotel cold breakfast is very good and if you want a hot breakfast you can pay extra for it at the hotel or pop next door to the Toby. The hotel is 10-15 mins walk to reading downtown or the station from where you can catch a high speed train to London. It takes 20-25 mins. Very convenient for a day in Londodn. Also about 45 mins drive to Oxford. And lots of other places too. The rooms are comfortable and OK for the price. We only had one room in Room 211 with a very smelly bathroom due to water leaking under the shower and stagnating I suspect. Fortunately my wife had some old prefume with her that she used to negate the odour.

Room Tip: All the rooms appear to be OK. Maybe higher is better though.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
PI_Caversham, Reception Team at Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed review of our hotel. I feel others will find your review very helpful as it is so informative. We value your oppinion and we are please you had a pleasant stay.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Upon arrival reception very friendly and helpful, room spotless. Arrived back at hotel from a party at 1.30am and unfortunately we were woken up at 7.15am by a refuse vehicle playing drums on some large skips! Spoke to brilliant receptionist who couldnt do enough, and we were subsequently refunded the room cost under the "Good Nights Sleep" promise. Refund processed within a few days and matched the excellent service received both at reception and breakfast. The two staff serving us at breakfast were absolutely fabulous despite the Hotel being full to capacity due to delays at Heathrow. Highly recommend staying mainly for the service.

Room Tip: Refuse vehicle problem being addressed but avoiding room 329 or any at very end of hotel by the pub...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel with such positive feedback. We are very pleased you were happy with the service you received.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Myself and my sister stayed here one night this week arriving following our day at Nirvana Spa (short drive). Staff were very friendly and professional, the rooms were spotless and the breakfast was excellent. Staff very attentive at all times. Will be booking this particular Premier Inn again for next visit to spa. The staff deserve a pat on the back - I do not normally leave feedback, but felt they deserved a mention. The added advantage is that Toby Carvery is just across the car park and we enjoyed a fabulous roast dinner and bottle of wine for under £25.00 in the evening.

Room Tip: We were on the front overlooking the car park,but could not hear any noise from the pub or the car p...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We really do appreciate the feedback and we value your oppinion. We're also very happy to hear that you enjoyed your and you would stay with us again.
Medway
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Booking was easy, quick and efficient. The hotel, however is not easy to get from the major access of the M4, unless you are familiar with the area, it does however have plenty of free parking space. From the outside it is has a modern look and feel to it, with the Toby Carvery very close by.

The Reception was quick and easy with most internal facilities explained, including their ‘good night’s sleep guarantee’. The internal ambiance of the entrance matches the outsides modern approach and looks.

The Room, on the 3rd floor was furthest from the reception end faced out over the Toby Carvery extraction fan system and their rubbish bin area – I wonder if this had something to do with the window being locked shut (the question was not really answered by those on reception). The room itself was a good size, very clean, warm and had a decent shower – though the use of this did steam up the ‘locked’ window. I was not overly disturbed by the noise from the Carvery bin area – however this may become a concern on warmer days/nights as there is no air conditioning only heating in the room.

Wi-Fi is free for the first half hour – after that there is a charge of £3 per day. Why they cannot be free and included in the overall price, as with most chains these days, I still cannot comprehend. It also has to be said that during this stay it had a tendency for the connection to drop out every few minutes.

Breakfast starts at 6:30 am, ideal for those on business needing to get sorted and out early. It is on site within the actual Inn and ‘full English’ was cooked to order. The food is good and there is a good variety of help yourself choices with eggs and porridge to order. As with most such hotel chains no one was able to answer the questions on local sourced though.

Recommendation – yes I would use it again as it met my business needs. Again, this is one of those places that “does what it says on the tin”. However I would be very unlikely to use it if my visit had been for private/personal reasons.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank WWTravellerKent
PI_Caversham, Reception Team at Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback in your review of our hotel. I found it to be very informative and I think your review will be useful for future guests. We value your oppinion and we're glad to hear you would stay with us again.
UK/Sarakak
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I stayed here with my wife, who was on a 2 day training course at the Green Park business Park (about 12 mins away in 9am and 4pm traffic) I worked from the hotel room on my laptop.

The location of this Premier Inn is great, you have The Oracle Shopping centre and lots more shops around it a few minutes one way, a Tesco Extra a few minutes the other but your situated next to a large quiet park. There is a Toby Carvery next door which is a typical bar and carvery, good prices but nothing gourmet, otherwise you would have to walk or drive to find other shops etc. The breakfasts at this Premier Inn were excellent, do realize that its limited to continental, full English style and cereals, but for what they offer, its really good, and the Premiercooked breakfast is all you can eat, the service at breakfast times was also flawless. Coffee machine at breakfast (Costa) made a REALLY nice Latte,!

Reception staff were fast, polite and helpfull, the place was spotless barring some limescale stains in the loo in the room (streaks where bleach/cleaner had done its job and left the bits in between).

The shower in the room was the only bad thing, it was either hot, or too hot, I was in a rush and so I simply turned the hot tap in the sink on to offset. However I did comment on this on leaving as it did need fixing.

Mobile signal was excellent (EE) I did not try the wifi as my mobile offers Tethering and I have a good allowance for data usage, so i simple hooked my laptop up via this and sat in my comfy room to work.

No fridge in the room, just a small 1ltr kettle and minimal sachets of coffee etc. I took coffee, tea, sugar and UHT milk.

I will return to this Premier inn, BUT I will take my own pillows, they pride themselves on the sleep part, even offering two options of pillow, but even combined they were not as thick as the memory foam one im used to. Some people say there were only 1 pillow, when we stayed there were 1 per person on the bed with a leaflet on one saying there was an alternative harder one in wardrobe, so two each, but they are real thin. The pillow, combined with no aircon (not unusual for uk) and 2 warm nights is why i did not sleep particularly well. I did sleep enough to feel I had slept as it was very quiet, but woke very stiff and achy.

Mattress was hard if you jump on it and sank in a little when you lay on it, so I presume it was totally or part memory foam.

Quilt was very thin, quite heavy, maybe feather but i dint sneeze so not sure, it was much warmer then it looks though, but no sheet so if its too warm, you cant go sheet only.

I have really bad allergies (dust, cleaning products, cats etc) and didnt require an anti-histamine for the stay, which is a great sign.

Only Imperial Leather shower/hair was and Carex foam hand wash, so if you have sensitive skin, specific hair needs etc, take your own

Hairdryer and hangers in wardrobe, nothing else.

Showers only! no baths

1 bath towel per person, and 1 hand towel and floor towel per room

Toilet rool is in a dispenser like the soap and shower gel, so unable to tell if there was enough, didn't run out in two nights though.

Basic electric heater and a window that didn't open wide, so not easy to regulate heat if its very warm or cold.

No pool, no bar, no fitness centre/gym, but park behind, pub next door so thats 2/3 covered in one way or another.

SUMMARY
pillows are very thin (take own)
take extra drink consumables if you intend staying more than a few hours at night in the hotel.
Take your own toiletries, soap etc unless your not bothered about generic.
Be honest and ask for what you like for the Premier Breakfast (cooked), its totally customizable so dont hold back.
Shower only
No fridge
Park at TheOracle for shopping (5 mins drive, 15mins walk?) and be sure to wander around outside for another mall and lots more shops. Particularly the lovely Riverside (thames) where alot of the food and drink is available indoor or alfresco.
It was £100 per night (business account) but this included £8.25 breakfast x2 so expensive if your not on an expenses paid business trip.

Room Tip: We had a park facing room and it was very quiet, but its a pretty busy road so not sure how quiet a...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback in your brilliant review of our hotel. I found it to be very informative and I think your review will be useful for future guests. We're very happy you had a pleasant stay.
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We stayed here for a family party, having booked 4 rooms in the hotel. Two of our rooms smelt very odd, almost like someone had been in the room chain smoking. It smelt of old stale cigarette smoke, and this had got into all the bedding, shower curtain and towels. The shower curtains were stained with brown marks, which I would hate to even guess what these marks were, and to top it all off our toilet in the bathroom didn't flush. As mentioned in a previous review, there was a lack of pillows that weekend. We requested extra pillows as we were 3 persons sharing a room only to be told they had ran out ..... this was really not satisfactory. We were not offered breakfast on arrival or told what time the breakfast started and finished, so out of principle we went next door to the Toby Carvery. I was very disappointed with our stay, as we have stayed in many Premier Inns and they have always been great. I have written a letter of complaint to the Premier Inn Head Office, but they have not had the courtesy to reply hence my review.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank butterflysam05
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a clean and comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.