“Avoid if you're a vegetarian”
Review of The Angel Gastro Pub - CLOSED

The Angel Gastro Pub
Price range: US$24 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We chose this restaurant as we had very good meals here a couple of years ago. The staff were friendly but the menu for a vegetarian was very poor. I was given a printed menu with nothing suitable at all. The only non meat starter was a savoury panna cotta which is set with gelatine so I had to have a bowl of rocket. I had phoned ahead and was told they could make something but I ended up with a plate of vegetables which consisted of 2 wedges of dauphinoise potato and some other vegetables arranged on the plate. To be fair it was very nicely presented but it didn't equate to a meal and wasn't worth the £11.95. I was very disappointed. A good chef should be able to come up with something better. Also my husband is a chip lover and like some of the previous reviewers he thought the 'hand cut chips' were frozen skinny fries. 'Elvis' made an appearance during the evening I only hope he's a carnivore!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We chose to eat at the Angel for a birthday meal and was extremely disappointed with the experience. We were offered lemon??in a bottle of corona that would not fit in the bottle, even if I wanted it. It was also unfortunate that the bar staff did not know how to make a bitter shandy! Maybe she was knew to this game. The food was ok, but the hand cut chips came as a pile of over cooked French fires. The final straw was when we were brought barbecue sauce on a plate and there was no English mustard! Overall very disappointing!

1  Thank Mandy B
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Only been a few times, once for a meal and a couple of times just for drinks. Nice clean pub, staff are very good and the food was better than I expected. Not enough vegetarian options, but the chef did whip up something that was better than we were expecting. One major flaw for me and that was no wifi, so on some occasions, I will have to go elsewhere.

1  Thank Bobby M
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We take the family to The Angel for Sunday lunch at least once a year. On the last visit, some had the traditional roast (some had beef, some pork) while others had steaks or beef burgers - they cater well for children. Everything was cooked very well and nothing was too much trouble for this very friendly pub/restaurant. The wines were wonderful.

We have only been here for lunch, but if that experience is anything to go by, dinner should be very enjoyable.

The team make this pub stand out from the average pub eating experience. It's a bit special both in terms of the food and the ambience, and is highly recommended for a relaxing meal. Great value for money and it has parking.

1  Thank BarryNJane
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Thirteen ramblers had lunch here today. We all had different dishes and every dish was delicious.

Would strongly recommend this pub, service and food very good.

Keep it up we need this in this area

Ethna